Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 AM

7 posts, read 16,419 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all!

I'm a woman in my mid-twenties who may be moving from Philadelphia to work in the Rockville, MD area in a month or so. I absolutely LOVE the city of Philadelphia (having lived in Boston prior to this) and am very sad to leave. Specifically, I love the diversity, cultural opportunities, music scene (neosoul, R&B, hip hop), and food scene of Philly.

I am definitely not a suburban girl, but it seems like I will have to live out in a more suburban area if I don't want a really lengthy commute to Rockville. Does anyone have any suggestions for cities/towns/neighborhoods within a 20-30 minute commute to Rockville? I'd love to live in an area that has a slightly more 'city' feel and is somewhat walkable, but my main priorities are living in a diverse area that is near to some things to do - restaurants, shops, etc. If there was a great area that was a bit further away but able to commute via metro or something, I'd definitely consider it. I will probably have to buy a car but am very used to using public transit to get everywhere. Just don't want to get stuck driving an hour every day each way.

My price range is probably maxed out at 1400, and I'm looking for a 1BR. Cheaper would be AWESOME, but looking around, it seems like 1BRs are pretty expensive.

Thanks for any help you can provide in directing my search! It's hard to figure out where to even start!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 04:22 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3733 View Post
My price range is probably maxed out at 1400, and I'm looking for a 1BR. Cheaper would be AWESOME, but looking around, it seems like 1BRs are pretty expensive.
I'd suggest Bethesda to give you some entertainment and dining options. It is not Philadelphia, but there is a walkable downtown area that is a good gathering place for young people. Yes, it is expensive, but if you look carefully, you can find a place under $1400. Look on Hotpads, and there is The Fields of Bethesda, which is an older building. (The Fields may be income limited, but there are others around $1400.) If you could accept a studio, that would give you a couple more options.

You might be able to commute by Metro, depending on where your job is, and where your live. You could almost certainly find a bus to commute on.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:43 PM

7 posts, read 16,419 times
Thanks so much, GoldenAge. The more I've spoken to people, the more they have suggested either looking in DC proper or out in Wheaton, Takoma Park, or Silver Spring. I will definitely look into the places you mentioned - thank you again!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:26 AM

490 posts, read 924,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'd suggest Bethesda to give you some entertainment and dining options. It is not Philadelphia, but there is a walkable downtown area that is a good gathering place for young people. Yes, it is expensive, but if you look carefully, you can find a place under $1400. Look on Hotpads, and there is The Fields of Bethesda, which is an older building. (The Fields may be income limited, but there are others around $1400.) If you could accept a studio, that would give you a couple more options.

You might be able to commute by Metro, depending on where your job is, and where your live. You could almost certainly find a bus to commute on.

I agree either Bethesda or Downtown Silver Spring....where you'll find shops, restaurants, and entertainment.....Both area are expensive (Bethesda more than the other) but your definitely find the mix your looking for.......................Plus there is an metro station right around the corner in Silver Spring that can get you to Rockville in 30 to 35mins

Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 AM

490 posts, read 924,512 times
Here is the Downtown Silver Spring Link:Downtown Silver Spring | Shopping & Restaurants in Silver Spring

Old 07-21-2013, 04:44 PM

137 posts, read 277,657 times
I would say Downtown Bethesda but that 1400 isn't going to get you much here. I live in a studio paying 1425 and that's low-end in an older building. To be honest, 1400 isn't going to get you much in this entire area and that's the frustration I'm dealing with right now as someone who grew up here.

Given the cost I would look at Downtown Silver Spring. I don't venture there too often, so I can't say too much on it. Another option, since you'll be working in Rockville, is to look at areas a little further area from the city for now and then once you get acclimated here you can see what else is around. I know it's not ideal, but at least it gives you an opportunity to settle in for a bit and then decide what area suits you best.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 PM

640 posts, read 1,295,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3733 View Post
Thanks so much, GoldenAge. The more I've spoken to people, the more they have suggested either looking in DC proper or out in Wheaton, Takoma Park, or Silver Spring. I will definitely look into the places you mentioned - thank you again!
Those are really good recommendations. But philly and DC are different cities. Philly more blue-collar...DC more white collar.

Rent a lot cheaper in philly as well.

I miss philly as well. good luck on your search.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:22 PM

132 posts, read 325,196 times
You'd like Downtown Silver Spring better. It feels more urban than Bethesda. They're both near DC, though.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
DTSS or Frederick if you are open to taking a train down to Rockville.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:21 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times
Takoma Park (20912) or Silver Spring (zipcode 20910). Lots of NY/NJ/Philly transplants in that area and its very diverse.
You might even be able to afford Columbia Heights which is the most diverse neighborhood in DC. Petworth is another good urban neighborhood just north of Columbia Heights that you'll probably like as well. All options have good transit access.

Good luck on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland