Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
What is world class anyway? Seems like that has a different definition for everyone. If we made a comparison on something that we would see on Rodeo Drive, then I think Fairfax has this one. National Harbor is not what I would consider world class. People aren't going to fly from another country just to shop at Jos A. Bank or Comfort Ones Shoes, when other areas within our region has the same stores. The shopping options at National Harbor are a marked improvement from the rest of PG, but let's make no mistake about it, people aren't driving down from Bethesda or Tyson's Corner for the stores. The appeal of National Harbor largely center around it's unique ambiance and unique events. The Galleria from what I know is one of the only parts of the area that has Burberry, Gucci or stores like that. Let's not get carried away here, National Harbor isn't there yet. A majority of the shopping options aren't really unique to just the National Harbor.

I would much prefer the kinds or stores you would find in Old Town Alexandria along King Street. Forget World Class, I love local retail. It is very hard to recreate the shopping experiences in historical neighborhoods like Georgetown and Old Town. Sometimes I wonder why developers overlook replicating this the compact storefront design seen in these places including Annapolis. The leases would be cheaper because of the smaller space and you'd get a greater variety of shopping without the national chains taking up 10,000 sqft.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 02:07 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I would much prefer the kinds or stores you would find in Old Town Alexandria along King Street. Forget World Class, I love local retail. It is very hard to recreate the shopping experiences in historical neighborhoods like Georgetown and Old Town. Sometimes I wonder why developers overlook replicating this the compact storefront design seen in these places including Annapolis. The leases would be cheaper because of the smaller space and you'd get a greater variety of shopping without the national chains taking up 10,000 sqft.,

I agree. if you were to put NH up against OT or GT, NH comes in last as it is boring. Old Town has way more variety any way you look at it and even worn out old Georgetown has more attractions. You get to walk a couple of blocks at NH and you've seen it all unless you are staying in a hotel room. I don't know of many people who gush about the shopping at NH. I have never been compelled to shop there.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:30 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I agree. if you were to put NH up against OT or GT, NH comes in last as it is boring. Old Town has way more variety any way you look at it and even worn out old Georgetown has more attractions. You get to walk a couple of blocks at NH and you've seen it all unless you are staying in a hotel room. I don't know of many people who gush about the shopping at NH. I have never been compelled to shop there.

NH is unique. And while there are paltry choices to shop there now, I would hope as it grows, there would be more street-facing retail. The outlet is nice and all, but nothing compares to sidewalks and storefronts. Right now, NH is restaurant heavy. There needs to be a shopper's row or something. Just two long blocks of small storefronts would be nice.

I'm excited about the Cafritz project because it comes close to the variety and mixture of storefronts that you see in OT. The facades are different shapes, colors, and sizes. It provides an organic feel.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Every things political with you isn't it?

You raised the topic - what's your point?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post

he Baltimore Washington Parkway is also known as Route 295.
The National Park Service is caretakers of the parkway from the border of Washington, D.C. and Route 175. ESRI_GDT

THis was taken from the NPS.gov website

This is why if you are speeding South of 198 until DC Park Police will write you a ticket

The same with Suitland Parkway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltim...ington_Parkway

The thing that is never mentioned is 295 starts at 495 near the Wilson Bridge.

Both of those roads are the same as driving on the GW parkway, Mount Vernon Parkway or Blue Ridge Parkway as they are all owned by the NPS. You are subject to federal law on those roads but - never get into an accident on one of them because NPS officers handling a crime scene is like idiots building a house. It's not something they studied in life and there is no one to step in and correct matters.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:59 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltim...ington_Parkway

The thing that is never mentioned is 295 starts at 495 near the Wilson Bridge.

Both of those roads are the same as driving on the GW parkway, Mount Vernon Parkway or Blue Ridge Parkway as they are all owned by the NPS. You are subject to federal law on those roads but - never get into an accident on one of them because NPS officers handling a crime scene is like idiots building a house. It's not something they studied in life and there is no one to step in and correct matters.

This is true... I295 begins at 495 and WW Bridge...then it becomes DC 295 somewhere around Nats Stadium.... then it becomes B/W Parkway (unofficial 295) from Kenilworth Ave to Rt 32 in Ft Meade/Laurel.... then it becomes MD 295 from Rt 100 until its completion in Baltimore City as it becomes Russell Street...

I think if it wanted to make it an interstate they could had but then with the dual government jurisdiction, it would be something that Congress would never get it right... It should be something called Interstate 295/Baltimore/Washington Parkway... or I295 National Parkway or I295 Metropolitan parkway.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:34 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I completely agree. I often wonder if i'm the only one who is turned off by the umpteen number of "new" commercial developments that have the same stores no matter where you are? I personally get tired of seeing Bed Bath & Beyond....Best Buy....Home Depot surrounded by a Subway...a Giant Foods...a TJ Maxx...a Radio Shack....a random barber shop....a nail salon.....and a beer/wine store.....etc. While its handy to have these stores, i'm completely put off by the fact that these "developments" seem to now embody the American shopping experience.

Gag!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland