Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 37,928 times

Advertisements

There is a very strange structure right off Columbia Pike (Rt29) in Laurel, just north of Johns Hopkins Road and south of Rt 32. The actual address is around the 7500 block of Old Columbia Rd. The structure is on the right side heading north.

For those of you who can't see the picture, the structure appears to be a church or a space needle type building. Cool architecture, appears to have been built in the 70's. There has been a crane and some construction equipment in the yard for years.

This building has always been a mystery to me, I think it looks really cool but I've never been able to find out the story of it's orgin.

Does anyone know anything about this place? I would love to hear anything about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Strange Structure on RT 29/Columbia Pike in Laurel, Near Mont./Howard Co. Line-img_20130818_180859.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 08:38 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie703 View Post
Cool architecture, appears to have been built in the 70's. There has been a crane and some construction equipment in the yard for years.
The building has been there since I arrived in Columbia in 1973. I always assumed it was a house built by someone with strange ideas. Otherwise, I don't know their story.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 PM

It looks really cool, it has always fascinated me. I thought it may have been an abandoned church, but it looks pretty post-modern.

I think anyone who would build a place like that to live in has to be pretty interesting.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 19,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie703 View Post
There is a very strange structure right off Columbia Pike (Rt29) in Laurel, just north of Johns Hopkins Road and south of Rt 32. The actual address is around the 7500 block of Old Columbia Rd. The structure is on the right side heading north.

For those of you who can't see the picture, the structure appears to be a church or a space needle type building. Cool architecture, appears to have been built in the 70's. There has been a crane and some construction equipment in the yard for years.

This building has always been a mystery to me, I think it looks really cool but I've never been able to find out the story of it's orgin.

Does anyone know anything about this place? I would love to hear anything about it.
Hey Roadie i live off Guildford road which ends right at old Columbia road and if you make a left and drive down old Columbia road over the one lane bridge that structure sits on the left. I drive past everyday to get on 29 or sometimes go to the chic fila, Japanese place or Kolbys but every time i drive past it looks like construction and sand facility. You will see construction vehicles and dirt piles on the inside. Like you my assumption was that it was built a long time ago by one of those design people like you see is dwell magazine.

E

Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM

There is one of those road maintenance domes nearby that holds sand and I think salt. This is a separate facility, I do not think they are related.

There has been a truck crane in the yard of the structure in question for years now, when I first saw it, I thought it was in the process of being dismantled, but I think a construction company uses it for storage. I have seen the crane in different positions.

I checked it out from the road on Sunday, looks like there was some office lighting on the first floor area. There is a gate out front and enough "No Tresspassing" signs to make me think they don't want to be bothered, same for the house next door.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:16 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
I have always been fascinated by this place. I have tried to research it and pretty much come up with "strange building on route 29. What is it?" I did find something along the lines of it being built by the person in the house but no reason why or what its original purpose was.

It kinda looks like a modernist church building. Very 70's.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,880 times
According to 'Real Property Search' it is residential property belonging to a Brown family. It lists the little white house just to the south of it as owned by another person named Brown.

The address is 7623 Old Columbia Rd., Howard Cty.

Link here:
SDAT: Real Property Search

Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
Googling the address turned up a Columbia Patch item in which the following comment appeared:

Quote:
It is not the first time the question is asked. Here is what Columbia Archives knows. In a July 1987 Columbia Magazine article it said it was the residence of Merlin and Doris Brown. The current phone book lists Mr. Brown at that address. In the article it stated that the structure was an addition to their home and that it would provide living space. Further sleuthing at the Columbia Archives unearthed a Baltimore Sun article from July 3, 1979 that said that Merlin Brown wanted to build a tower on his residence and submitted plans to Howard County which was grappling with the application to determine whether it complied with zoning regulations. It’s unclear from the sources we have here at Columbia Archives as to when the structure was actually built. It sure is an unusual building with an interesting history.
Apparently, it was/is part of a private residence.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Apparently, it was/is part of a private residence.
On Zillow, the acreage appears to have several other structures on it like mobile homes. I have also wondered if it is a commune or religious group. Considering the gate and signs, they obviously don't want to be bothered by curiosity seekers.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
According to 'Real Property Search' it is residential property belonging to a Brown family. It lists the little white house just to the south of it as owned by another person named Brown.

The address is 7623 Old Columbia Rd., Howard Cty.

Link here:
SDAT: Real Property Search

That site can be a dangerous weapon to hand to just anyone. Guns don't compare when it comes down to what you can find out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland