Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:59 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Et tu, MoCo?

The ‘great’ Montgomery County schools? They were once. Maybe they can be again. - The Washington Post
Quote:
In the past 20 years, MCPS has gone from being a predominantly white, middle-class system to one that’s majority-minority and much more disadvantaged. Today, there are more Montgomery students who receive free or reduced-price lunches than there are students in the D.C. Public Schools.

But these changes have not been distributed equally through the county. Minority and low-income students are increasingly concentrated in Montgomery’s east and north. Meanwhile, its vaunted “W high schools” — Wootton, Whitman, Walter Johnson and Winston Churchill — have experienced little change or, in some cases, have become whiter and richer.

As a result, MCPS is increasingly segregated by class, race and academic performance. There remains a substantial achievement gap between black and Hispanic students and white and Asian students. Many of the county’s high school students failed their final math exams last year, but few of those failures occurred at the “W schools.” Instead, they were concentrated at schools such as Gaithersburg, Springbrook or Wheaton, which face problems akin to those in urban schools and lag far behind their wealthier counterparts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 07:50 PM

62 posts, read 189,090 times
I don't know how you expect counties to address this issue. I don't think it's fair to negatively judge a school with high failing grades in standardized tests...but rather is there any improvement year after year. You can't compare students from W schools to most students at say Gaithersburg High or Wheaton. Of course those students from better socionomic backgrounds are going to perform better on tests than the poorer students who probably lack parental involvement or have parents who want to help but are uneducated themselves and can't.

But don't fool yourself into thinking that even those so called better schools are actually teaching your children anything special. I am very well acquainted with several MCPS teachers and hear the stories of how they are forced to pass students who never show up to class, have to dumb down curriculum because their high school students can't read, and are forced to teach to the test...basically, the teachers are not allowed to teach. And these are at better schools. All this done so the numbers look good. Students are forced into honors classes (and by the way, honors today was average was 15 years ago) because the county wants those numbers to be high. That's why many classes are called honors classes, heck, every class is practically an honors class now. The on level classes (today's politically correct term for average..though like I said that is worse than 15 years ago) are for those students who are barely functioning, unmotivated, and have to be seriously hand held with IEPs, etc.

So, I don't think MCPS can go back to being a great school district because yes the population has large poor pockets (and you're not going to magically solve that issue) and because of the dumbing down of curriculum in order to look good on paper (at the student's expense of course).

Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,352 times
I don't believe this article that much. I find it difficult to believe that Rockville, Richard Montgomery, Seneca Valley, Paint Branch, Clarksburg, and Damascus are failing in terms of their math exams.

The "W" schools are in areas where they are considered "MINORITY" (top 3-4% of the upper class). There are folks that went to schools in Silver Spring and Gaithersburg and had a decent education. Some people moved from PG to Montgomery County to escape the dreaded PG Schools that everyone bashes back in the day when the cost of living wasn't as expensive in MoCo. Now that it is, everyone moving to Charles County.

The schools have not changed, the students have. Students who succeed come from homes that value education and insist upon success for their students. The students who are failing do not have that support.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
The County needs to stop building and inviting the low-income, unskilled and uneducated here.

MCPS won't be able to address this issue at all. They need to start by bringing back the middle class which has slowly been shrinking in the county.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
It's a zoning issue. Northern Montgomery Country used to be nice and rural before they allowed developers to build thousands of cheap townhomes and apartments and it became flooded by illegals and poor people.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:27 AM

490 posts, read 924,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
I don't believe this article that much. I find it difficult to believe that Rockville, Richard Montgomery, Seneca Valley, Paint Branch, Clarksburg, and Damascus are failing in terms of their math exams.

The "W" schools are in areas where they are considered "MINORITY" (top 3-4% of the upper class). There are folks that went to schools in Silver Spring and Gaithersburg and had a decent education. Some people moved from PG to Montgomery County to escape the dreaded PG Schools that everyone bashes back in the day when the cost of living wasn't as expensive in MoCo. Now that it is, everyone moving to Charles County.

The schools have not changed, the students have. Students who succeed come from homes that value education and insist upon success for their students. The students who are failing do not have that support.
100% agree with you.....Let not forget Quince Qrchard, Northwest and Damascus......it hard to believe there doing horrible in Math.....it seems a little far fetched.....I do agree we need to clean up some schools like Wheaton, Waltkins Mill, Gaithersburg, and springbrook........but there more Good schools in MoCo than bad schools

Old 09-12-2013, 08:24 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post

The math issue is not unique to Montgomery County, this is a national issue, so it is very believable to me. Kids do not understand fundamental math and it hurts them in the long run. I have tutored for years in 3 different states and there are certain things that kids simply don't know. I am talking about kids who are poor, middle class, black, white, whatever. It would shock you how many high school kids don't know their multiplication table. If you can't multiply you can't divide. If you can't do either, you can't do Algebra, and if you can't do Algebra, then you can't do Calculus. All it takes is one bad year to ruin these kids understanding of math. We as a nation are ignoring a huge issue.

As far as the schools, it's true but as a county there are things they can do to help. It appears that they are inviting a lot of poor, ESL type families but when you do, you have to foot the bill for services for them. It's vicious cycle because resources are pulled from other places in the county to make it happen. Montgomery County schools have become victim to their liberal government. It is expensive to provide what they are trying to provide in the name of diversity. I am not saying they should not help the poor, but I see a bigger issue with helping illegal immigrants who need a ton of services but there isn't enough money/resources to account for them.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
The math issue is not unique to Montgomery County, this is a national issue, so it is very believable to me. Kids do not understand fundamental math and it hurts them in the long run. I have tutored for years in 3 different states and there are certain things that kids simply don't know. I am talking about kids who are poor, middle class, black, white, whatever. It would shock you how many high school kids don't know their multiplication table. If you can't multiply you can't divide. If you can't do either, you can't do Algebra, and if you can't do Algebra, then you can't do Calculus. All it takes is one bad year to ruin these kids understanding of math. We as a nation are ignoring a huge issue.

As far as the schools, it's true but as a county there are things they can do to help. It appears that they are inviting a lot of poor, ESL type families but when you do, you have to foot the bill for services for them. It's vicious cycle because resources are pulled from other places in the county to make it happen. Montgomery County schools have become victim to their liberal government. It is expensive to provide what they are trying to provide in the name of diversity. I am not saying they should not help the poor, but I see a bigger issue with helping illegal immigrants who need a ton of services but there isn't enough money/resources to account for them.

I understand...but the reason its hard for me to believe this...because just a few months ago...this was Posted....Montgomery high schools rank among best schools in 2013 report -- Gazette.Net

Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
I understand...but the reason its hard for me to believe this...because just a few months ago...this was Posted....Montgomery high schools rank among best schools in 2013 report -- Gazette.Net
It says the article is gone.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
It says the article is gone.

What do you mean gone???? Its pulling up on my computer well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland