Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:50 AM

7 posts, read 11,591 times

Advertisements

I know there's a TON of MD/NOVA threads out there, but for the most part, they dissolve into political arguments. Which is really not what I'm looking for. What I am looking for: info on neighborhoods, family activities, schools, safety. Really, I suppose, the heart and soul of an area.

My husband is separating from the Army and has job offers in McLean and Crystal City. I'd like to keep our rental budget under $2000. We will eventually buy, but not until we know more about the area. Areas I've searched: Ashburn, Reston, Herndon, Silver Spring, Bethesda, Rockville. Really, all the cities surrounding those as well. No matter how much research one does on the internet, it sometimes can't answer all the questions (and sometimes gives you more ) So here's the gist of it:

1) SCHOOLS: Very important, 3 kids, two already in elem. school. Not only are scores important (yes, I've been all over greatschools.org) but I'd like to know about the atmosphere and how the teachers are with kids and parents. This is our driving force right now, since MD and NoVA both have good schools to offer.

2) Neighborhoods: I'd like to live in a family friendly neighborhood. The type where we can walk to parks and such (currently a one car family). We're open to houses, townhouses, apartments (not really preferred but we can manage that).

3) COMMUTE: Holy crap!! From what I've read, that's insane. I google the commute times on every place I've found that I like. But, to be honest, I just don't understand the car-less options. We've never lived in an area that had metros available and I'm completely lost on how they work. Google shows a travel time of 90 mins or 3 hours on the public transit options. Is that right?? We expect a commute and are ok with it for good schools and decent housing, but I thought the purpose of transit was to knock that time down? Please, someone just tell me I'm a dimwit and doing it wrong!!

4) Cost of living: TAXES, TAXES and more TAXES. That's been a big one on the other threads. Does the higher tax rate of MD equal out the higher housing cost of VA? Or do I have that all backwards?

I know there are some random questions up there. But I've really got my head in a jumble with the whole DC area. Doesn't help that I had brain surgery in July so I'm still trying to get the wires adjusted in there We are a very adaptable family but I don't want to put my kids in a terrible school system and get stuck in a lease.

Any input (non political please) would be appreciated. (I'm posting this is both MD and NoVa forums to dot all my "i"s)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 11:14 AM

7,070 posts, read 9,494,352 times
Perhaps if you're more specific, people will be able to help you out better. Asking for info on an entire area is a bit much. Everyone here either works or lives in one part of the region and will have differences of opinions about everything. The cost-of-living for both states has been discussed ad nausea in other threads. The same goes for schools. Google can help you with commute times more than anyone here. Even those who travel the same routes may drive differently or at different times. Google even takes into account traffic now. As far as neighborhoods are concerned, a great place to start is the town or city website and see if you can locate the contact info for certain civic associations. They are very tuned in to the local issues concerning their own neighborhoods. You won't get anything new here unless you're specific. A few people will respond and it will turn political anyway. Thanks for starting another vs. thread though.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:23 AM

893 posts, read 1,201,589 times
I have found that google maps is horrible with public transportation. I'm not sure where they get their info from, but a lot of it is wrong right from the start. They often suggest routes that no longer exist or they fail to suggest the best routes simply because they don't have them in the system yet.

I would look at the actual company's website who provides public transportation to find out what the current routes are and determine the time it takes for them.

However, public transportation is just supposed to be cheaper, not faster. Taking a bus or tram will always take longer than taking a car, because they have to stop several times and possibly even go out of the way for part of the trip, whereas a car only has to go directly to the destination with no stops or detours required.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,638,532 times
1) my biggest experience with schools was in Montgomery County (Quince Orchard HS, Ridgeview Middle, and Fields Road Elem.). We were very happy with those schools. We've since moved to Loudoun County in Virginia. Verdict is still out, but I think Quince Orchard is a wee bit better so far.

2)Family freindly neighborhoods are all over the area. You have to be a little more specific to get more info.

3)Commute - If the job is in McLean or Crystal City, and you want to use Metro, your best bet is along the new Silver line (to open in early 2014), or along the Blue or Yellow lines. Silver for McLean, and Blue/Yellow for Crystal City. If driving, the best thing I can tell you is to avoid having to cross the American Legion bridge, which means, look in Virginia.

4)I think things are mostly even, but I am saving a bundle on car insurance by moving to Virginia.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Perhaps if you're more specific, people will be able to help you out better. Asking for info on an entire area is a bit much. Everyone here either works or lives in one part of the region and will have differences of opinions about everything. The cost-of-living for both states has been discussed ad nausea in other threads. The same goes for schools. Google can help you with commute times more than anyone here. Even those who travel the same routes may drive differently or at different times. Google even takes into account traffic now. As far as neighborhoods are concerned, a great place to start is the town or city website and see if you can locate the contact info for certain civic associations. They are very tuned in to the local issues concerning their own neighborhoods. You won't get anything new here unless you're specific. A few people will respond and it will turn political anyway. Thanks for starting another vs. thread though.
I have to say, your answer is exactly what I was NOT looking for, aside from the politics. I posted this exact same question on the NoVA boards and received the type of answers I was hopeful of. Google can not help me more than people who actually travel it everyday. I actually mentioned using Google for that purpose in my post. You are right about my being vague, but therein lies my problem. I'm looking for the communities within those cities I mentioned, or other advised areas. The type of info I'm searching for is what people FEEL in the communities they live in, personal experience that a search engine can not convey. A broad area, to be sure, but I assumed that people who live and/or work in either McLean or Crystal City would be able to help me narrow my search down. It was not a vs. thread in my mind, rather a what's the big difference and why so much contention? Also, thus far, no political lances have been thrown. Thanks for giving yet more useless information

Old 09-26-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I have found that google maps is horrible with public transportation. I'm not sure where they get their info from, but a lot of it is wrong right from the start. They often suggest routes that no longer exist or they fail to suggest the best routes simply because they don't have them in the system yet.

I would look at the actual company's website who provides public transportation to find out what the current routes are and determine the time it takes for them.

However, public transportation is just supposed to be cheaper, not faster. Taking a bus or tram will always take longer than taking a car, because they have to stop several times and possibly even go out of the way for part of the trip, whereas a car only has to go directly to the destination with no stops or detours required.
Thank you for the public transit info. We've never had the ..... joy? of experiencing it, so it baffles me. Especially when the all mighty Google maps show a commute time of 3 hrs and 9 minutes by train/tram/bus.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,814,211 times
I am not a huge fan of Virginia, but I've concluded that if you work in NOVA, it doesn't make a lot of sense to live in MD and go through a pretty terrible commute. Of course the commute from Reston or Herndon to McLean doesn't sound like a piece of cake either, but I still think it would be easier than Rockville or Silver Spring. The areas you mention in VA are known for decent schools, but the people on the NOVA boards will be more helpful on that. I'm also pretty sure those areas are not ideal either in terms of decent public transit or walk-ability. I have not found that citydata is that helpful when it comes to very specific areas like neighborhoods/individual schools, you might want to try dcurbanmom or something like that. The housing costs are much, much higher in Virginia, and the taxes are higher in Maryland, but there seems to be a consensus that it all evens out in the end or that other considerations (schools, commute, etc.) are more important.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 PM

429 posts, read 1,158,618 times
Rizodea,
I'm pretty much with Zimar on this one. Traffic in this area is pretty painful and you will probably be happiest if you live relatively close to your workplace. I've lived in Virginia, DC, and Maryland and have personally found that the differences in taxes are far outweighed by other factors (like commute). Others can disagree, that's just my experience.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:20 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,638,532 times
I guess I gave useless info too.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:00 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,942,659 times
Frankly your budget is too low for a rental (or even buying) for a place in this region. $2000 is not going to cut in in a place with good schools, decent commute, that is large enough for your family (my guess 4BR). The region, in general, is expensive. Realistically you are looking at $2500-$3000 for a good area, and honestly that is on the low end and if you get lucky. The places with the best schools are probably far outside of your budget.
In fact I would say it is flat out unrealistic.
With that being said, from experience, if you work in NoVa, its not that great to live in MD. Northern Virginia is one of the most expensive markets in the country, but the area with good schools and neighborhoods commutable to where you work in MD is not much better.
You are wanting a Bethesda type neighborhood at a PG price. It is NOT going to happen. Sorry to be so blunt to bring down your expectations, but this is not like other areas you may have been too. It is far more expensive.

Basically, you need to be coming into this area with a realistic understanding of the rental market, and the going rates for houses near good schools and neighborhoods near good public transit. Right now, you don't have that.
I think you are struggling because your budget is set far too low. $2000 does not go very far in this area for rentals. Your rental budget is unrealistic. Taxes or not, you are unfamiliar with the price of living in the area, especially for what you are listing. It doesn't matter if it is MD or NoVa, or DC, $2000 will not take you far in a nice neighborhood. For $2000 you may be talking about a 2 BR apartment at best in a decent neighborhood, welcome to DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland