U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,871 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I'm a young professional looking to move to federal hill in baltimore to enjoy that whole scene, but I work in Silver Spring. I have to be in to work by 9pm so I was wondering how long that commute would take given normal traffic. Thanks for any responses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 PM

866 posts, read 2,447,626 times
Did you mean 9am or 9pm? If 9pm, you could be there in 35 to 40 minutes. If you meant 9am, I would allow at LEAST an hour. Traffic on 95 South (especially as you get within a few miles of the Capital Beltway) and 495 West can be very heavy in the mornings, and an accident can greatly complicate things.

When I lived in Federal Hill, I occasionally had to be in Rockville at 9am, and sometimes leaving at 7am was not early enough. But Silver Spring is a much easier drive than Rockville.

I personally prefer Baltimore to DC, but living in an exciting DC neighborhood and taking the metro out to Silver Spring might be another option for you.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:41 AM

65 posts, read 359,515 times
I recommend that you use the Marc train and catch the Red line metro from Union Station. The 95S commute is criminal in the morning. You won't make it to Rockville by 9a if you leave after 7a. I find that the traffic traveling south really increases exponentially after 630 in the morning. I'll put it to you like this....

My personal checkpoint is where RT100 meets RT29. If I'm there at 615a I can usually get to work in DC at 730a. However if I'm there at 630 or later I won't get to work until 815 or later. It sounds crazy... But the jump in traffic volume at that time is incredible.

The only reason I don't take the Marc train regularly is because I often work past 7pm.

I'm moving to NOVA this week... Thank GOD.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:15 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,596,786 times
I know someone who lives in Baltimore and commutes to downtown SS. He drives to a bus place somewhere up near Baltimore and rides a commuter bus that goes fairly directly to the SS metro. The problem with the MARC train is you end up in Union Sta in DC, then have to take the red line up to SS adding another 20-30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland