Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 10,232 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Columbia Heights in DC and are looking to buy a house in Fort Washington, mainly because of the cost and proximity to National Harbor/DC/Old Town. We are both 30, no kids, but hopefully in the next few years. We are seriously considering Tantallon Preserve which is a new development. In researching the PG county school system, I discovered the public charter schools. Does anybody have experience with the PG county charter schools? What are the odds of getting in? I'm especially thinking about John Hanson Montessori. I've always wanted my kids to have a Montessori education and if it's free that's fantastic. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridianPlace View Post
Does anybody have experience with the PG county charter schools? What are the odds of getting in? I'm especially thinking about John Hanson Montessori. I've always wanted my kids to have a Montessori education and if it's free that's fantastic. Thoughts?
I agree it sounds very good. There is a lottery for getting into John Hanson Montessori, so it's hard to guess the future odds of your future child getting in. I think it's worth moving to the area on the chance of getting a better school. In any case, Fort Washington seems to be an improving area.

There was another poster whose children were in a Prince George Gifted & Talented school. It might be worth searching for those posts.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 AM

195 posts, read 471,685 times
John Hanson Montessori isn't a charter; it's a specialty program. The school shares its campus/facility with John Hanson French-Immersion program. PGCPS has three public Montessori programs and two public French-immersion programs and attendance area is set based upon address. Admission to each is via lottery, as goldenage1 noted: Here's the basic information about that: Enrichment & Specialty Programs Lottery. I know a few years back, even though the French-immersion program at Robert Goddard in north county was oversubscribed, there were some openings at John Hansen FI. I'm not sure if that's still the case or if it was equally true for the Montessori program.

There are also talented and gifted (TAG) centers and creative and performing arts centers that also use the lottery (combined with a TAG identification or audition, respectively) to determine placement.

There are some charter schools in the county, but not too many. This is true of Maryland in general because the state rules governing charters require charter schools to operate with the public school governance structure more than some other jurisdictions.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:18 PM

Thanks! So I'm assuming that parents can apply to ALL of the Specialty Programs and charter schools with the hopes of gaining acceptance with at least one? How many people apply to these each year? It would seem that they would be in extremely high demand, considering the nature of the core public school system.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:57 PM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 808,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR25 View Post
John Hanson Montessori isn't a charter; it's a specialty program. The school shares its campus/facility with John Hanson French-Immersion program. PGCPS has three public Montessori programs and two public French-immersion programs and attendance area is set based upon address. Admission to each is via lottery, as goldenage1 noted: Here's the basic information about that: Enrichment & Specialty Programs Lottery. I know a few years back, even though the French-immersion program at Robert Goddard in north county was oversubscribed, there were some openings at John Hansen FI. I'm not sure if that's still the case or if it was equally true for the Montessori program.

There are also talented and gifted (TAG) centers and creative and performing arts centers that also use the lottery (combined with a TAG identification or audition, respectively) to determine placement.

There are some charter schools in the county, but not too many. This is true of Maryland in general because the state rules governing charters require charter schools to operate with the public school governance structure more than some other jurisdictions.
The French Immersion and Montessori are in different buildings and locations now.
John Hanson French Immersion @ Shugart - Prince George's County Public Schools

Old 10-28-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridianPlace View Post
Thanks! So I'm assuming that parents can apply to ALL of the Specialty Programs and charter schools with the hopes of gaining acceptance with at least one? How many people apply to these each year? It would seem that they would be in extremely high demand, considering the nature of the core public school system.
Yeah, the specialty school lottery system is heavily used. For Montessori you're looking at getting in at age 3 or 4 (IIRC); for French immersion, you're looking at getting in at 5 (for kindergarten). TAG lottery starts with 2nd grade and CPA/VPA starts at middle school (6th or 7th, depending upon the program). Generally, there are more applications than slots, and the system uses waitlists for those who don't get in right away. Since the programs do have boundary areas, you might have cases where John Hansen French is underenrolled but Robert Goddard French is overenrolled, so it might be easier to get into the program if you live south of Central Ave.

For Montessori and French, in general, it's hard to get into the program if you don't get a lottery slot during kindergarten. If you're transferring into the system from another Montessori school and there's an opening, it might be possible. Similarly for French immersion, there is a process to test into the program at higher grades, but it's highly discouraged.

In general, a lot of people view (and use) the specialty programs as a way to avoid their neighborhood school. I'd suggest strongly looking at the neighborhood school and trying to find out what the staff and the classrooms are really like. I've found that, in general, the reputation of PGCPS is much worse than the reality and there are a lot of very good teachers.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechlawyerinPG View Post
The French Immersion and Montessori are in different buildings and locations now.
John Hanson French Immersion @ Shugart - Prince George's County Public Schools
Thanks. I hadn't realized the move had gone into effect yet. The move of Goddard FI and Montessori into separate campuses is still stalled ...

Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,418,534 times
Quote:
Yeah, the specialty school lottery system is heavily used. For Montessori you're looking at getting in at age 3 or 4 (IIRC); for French immersion, you're looking at getting in at 5 (for kindergarten). TAG lottery starts with 2nd grade and CPA/VPA starts at middle school (6th or 7th, depending upon the program). Generally, there are more applications than slots, and the system uses waitlists for those who don't get in right away. Since the programs do have boundary areas, you might have cases where John Hansen French is underenrolled but Robert Goddard French is overenrolled, so it might be easier to get into the program if you live south of Central Ave.

For Montessori and French, in general, it's hard to get into the program if you don't get a lottery slot during kindergarten. If you're transferring into the system from another Montessori school and there's an opening, it might be possible. Similarly for French immersion, there is a process to test into the program at higher grades, but it's highly discouraged.

In general, a lot of people view (and use) the specialty programs as a way to avoid their neighborhood school. I'd suggest strongly looking at the neighborhood school and trying to find out what the staff and the classrooms are really like. I've found that, in general, the reputation of PGCPS is much worse than the reality and there are a lot of very good teachers.
Good info. There is an elementary component to CPA (at Foulois and Pullen), which is lottery based. If your child is chosen in the lottery for the elementary school, then he or she can stay on through middle school without auditioning.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I'd suggest strongly looking at the neighborhood school and trying to find out what the staff and the classrooms are really like. I've found that, in general, the reputation of PGCPS is much worse than the reality and there are a lot of very good teachers.
Yes, I'm getting that impression. Our local elementary school would be Potomac Landing. Does anyone have recent experience with that school?

Old 10-30-2013, 12:06 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,922,150 times
While many parents seem to love John Hanson Montesorri, I had a really bad experience with them- I blame myself because after I won the lottery, I just my kids in without doing deep montesorri school research, mainly because I no longer had to be fullday daycare @ age 3 and 4-

Big mistake! Montesorri learning is not for everybody, as the transistion into a structured class is a rough one! Do your research first, not too mention it doesnt prepare your kids for the "test"

Imagine Lincoln has Charter schools in Temple Hills, Upper Marlboro and AAFB- Check them out, same lottery process, but pure learing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland