Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 02:11 PM

5 posts, read 8,429 times

Advertisements

I am checking this out for a friend who moved to a new place without basement (10yr old home).

If someone has done this recently in the metro region, could you give me a rough estimate of what it would cost to finish a 1000 sq.ft. basement. These are the requirements:

1. All open area, with a small portion dedicated to water heater etc.
2. No rooms needed (just one large open area)
3. No baths needed
4. Low-medium grade carpet
5. Recessed lights in the ceiling (about 10)
6. Already has a door for the walk-out basement

a) What will be a typical duration of such a project
b) Any recommendations on a licensed contractor who could wrap this up without much delays.
c) Who takes care of the permits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 09:32 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,121,410 times
We re-finished our basement after we had to do a lot of damage replacing the drain system which had collapsed. However, we re-framed, insulated, re-did the electric, and put in a full bathroom, so our costs would be nowhere near comparable. Our job took 30 days. The contractor took care of all permits. I would highly recommend our contractor, but I know he has a 2-3 month lead time. I'd recommend using Angie's List for contractor ideas and getting several bids.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,429 times
Thanks. If you don't mind, could you please give me the following info:
a) Cost of the total project
b) Duration (Start to the final inspection).
c) Your contractor info

Thanks

Old 11-13-2013, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,789 times
A few tips for looking for a contractor in NJ:

1) Make sure they are licensed and insured! You should be getting an insurance certificate from the contractor you pick when you sign the estimate.

2) Finishing a basement is considered a capital improvement project. (You should not pay sales tax).

3) Get three bids to compare prices and suggestions from contractors.

4) Above all do your pre-planning, (Sounds like you have), if you can give contractors a written scope for what you want done it will help when you compare the estimates so each contractor is bidding a similar scope of work.

If you need more information feel free to ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland