Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,917,056 times

Advertisements

Mizeur to name Delman Coates, a Prince George’s pastor, as her running mate in Md. - The Washington Post

Quote:
Maryland Democratic gubernatorial hopeful Heather R. Mizeur plans to name Delman Coates, a Prince George’s County minister and outspoken proponent of same-sex marriage, as her running mate on Wednesday, according to a person close to the campaign.

Coates, 40, is senior pastor of the 8,000-member Mount Ennon Baptist Church in Clinton, and he has been an advocate of several progressive causes, including expanded access to health care, voting rights and immigration reform.
Something just seemed odd about this guy. He was extremely adamant about homosexuality not being addressed in the Bible,

Speaking out for same-sex marriage law, black minister stands apart - Washington Post
Quote:
For Coates, a Richmond native who holds a doctorate from Columbia University and also studied at Morehouse College and Harvard University, the decision to back same-sex marriage legislation is grounded in theology and civil law. He said that those who claim the Bible abhors homosexuality are misreading the text. Instead, he said, his study of theology and the Bible in original, ancient languages suggests that sexual abuse, violence and exploitation are being condemned.
became more and more outspoken, and started to align himself with O'Malley. Clearly he was angling for a moment just like this. I find the pairing to be a extremely odd one and interesting that he is attempting to goes as far as being a Lt. Governor. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:17 PM

6,915 posts, read 11,165,627 times
I don't see Ms. Mizeur as having any chance what so over at advancing past the primary. Her Lt. Governor candidate is going to get some nice newspaper article clippings for his scrapbook out of this and little else.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,334,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Mizeur to name Delman Coates, a Prince George’s pastor, as her running mate in Md. - The Washington Post

Something just seemed odd about this guy. He was extremely adamant about homosexuality not being addressed in the Bible,

Speaking out for same-sex marriage law, black minister stands apart - Washington Post

became more and more outspoken, and started to align himself with O'Malley. Clearly he was angling for a moment just like this. I find the pairing to be a extremely odd one and interesting that he is attempting to goes as far as being a Lt. Governor. Thoughts?
He's just pushing nonsense.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:38 PM

692 posts, read 1,727,182 times
Quote:

I attended this church when the previous pastor, Reverend Neal was alive. I left shortly after Coates arrived. He seemed more intersted in politics then being a pastor. One of sermons was titled the Condolezza Rice Syndrome. I don't attend church to receive a political message so I left. I'm not surprised he has decided to run for office. But I am surprised that he is running on a ticket with an openly gay candidate while he is still pastoring a church that does not perform gay weddings.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
I attended this church when the previous pastor, Reverend Neal was alive. I left shortly after Coates arrived. He seemed more intersted in politics then being a pastor. One of sermons was titled the Condolezza Rice Syndrome. I don't attend church to receive a political message so I left. I'm not surprised he has decided to run for office. But I am surprised that he is running on a ticket with an openly gay candidate while he is still pastoring a church that does not perform gay weddings.
Very sad to see this church being used as a platform for this man. I'm sure the previous pastor would be disappointed.

I agree it's a bit odd that they still don't perform gay marriages. If gay marriages were really permissible biblically as he states he believes, then why would the church not have them? Seems odd.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:22 PM

692 posts, read 1,727,182 times
[quote=pgtvatitans;32566823]Very sad to see this church being used as a platform for this man. I'm sure the previous pastor would be disappointed.QUOTE]

Reverend Neal was a good man. When he was alive the church was a much better place. There was more community outreach. The church held events like Christmas in July, members would make repairs to elderly members homes and do needed yard work. There was a homeless outreach. It is jusrt a different place now.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 6,030 times
Lightbulb Why Confuse the Issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashful Bob View Post
If the proposed running mate has an Agenda outside of his homosexual dementia - no prolblem
It seems clear that Lt. Governor Brown probably has (or will have) the backing of his party necessary to take/win Government House in Annapolis.

Rev. Dr Delman L. Coates has impressive credentials for a 41 year old minister--and he is married with children (2 daughters and 2 sons). He seems to have a promising career.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by areformjew View Post
It seems clear that Lt. Governor Brown probably has (or will have) the backing of his party necessary to take/win Government House in Annapolis.

Rev. Dr Delman L. Coates has impressive credentials for a 41 year old minister--and he is married with children (2 daughters and 2 sons). He seems to have a promising career.
He's a very educated and accomplished man, but I question anyone that uses the pulpit or any position to further their career. It makes you question their convictions, their character and quite honestly their morality. When you are a public servant, you have to be committed to the people you serve. If he's not showing that now, then what would make anyone think that he would be any different in public office?

Old 12-14-2013, 11:35 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,419,446 times
Quote:
He's a very educated and accomplished man, but I question anyone that uses the pulpit or any position to further their career. It makes you question their convictions, their character and quite honestly their morality. When you are a public servant, you have to be committed to the people you serve. If he's not showing that now, then what would make anyone think that he would be any different in public office?
I agree. In fact, when any pastor runs for public office, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:46 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,019,211 times
A good synopsis of candidate Heather Mizeur, is in the Nov. 22, column here, entitled "One toke over the line"

My Maryland by Blair Lee -- Gazette.Net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland