Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 06:43 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I remember when Ratsie's first opened in the early 1980s. My former classmate from UMCP worked there part-time. The pizza used to be very good, but not as authentic/good as Mama Lucia (defunct pizza parlor once located at PG Plaza), until the current owner bought the establishment. The building was once occupied by a head shop. In fact there were a string of head shops at that corner.
Apparently, Blaze Pizza is there, just opened. I wonder if it will be a hit with the students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 07:47 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
The pizza used to be very good, but not as authentic/good as Mama Lucia (defunct pizza parlor once located at PG Plaza),
You sure that Mama Lucia is defunct? One is located in College Park in the College Park Marketplace. that food is AWESOME! Pricey, but worth it.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:56 AM

206 posts, read 209,896 times
The garage cost $9 million for almost 300 spaces plus a 5800 square foot shell for a business. That doesn't count the high land cost either. The City could have spent less for a less attractive garage. Parking at 75 cents an hour doesn't recover the cost of providing structured parking even if the garage was 100% full, 24/7.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
I am curious to see how the Book Exchange goes, the hotel and of course, Knox box. Perhaps it will all blend together.
I too am interested in how it all blends together as well. I do like the fact that the city is growing block by block and not by whole town centers like in Silver Spring. Every block will be unique.

There is also another development that will be built in the Applebee's parking lot.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:46 AM

282 posts, read 322,330 times
Adelphi - what's the deal with that project? It is never listed in the college park development updates. Is it still happening and if so, when are they supposed to break ground?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
Adelphi - what's the deal with that project? It is never listed in the college park development updates. Is it still happening and if so, when are they supposed to break ground?
You know, that's a good question. perhaps the owners, JBG, haven't submitted any paperwork yet. They have it on their site, but it doesn't appear as if they've engaged the city. Also, there's no mention of it in any PG development docs. Weird. Perhaps it's a red herring in that they just left it up on their site even though they are not pursuing it. But there's no news even about them doing that. So, who knows?

JBG also owns the ford property which has still not broken ground yet. Perhaps we'll here some news next year about it. They did update their delivery date from 2015 to 2016. So, perhaps they are allowing time for the process to begin.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:25 AM

If you have time, take a drive along Baltimore Avenue by the new Whole Foods in Riverdale Park. All of the trees have been removed and you can see the entire construction site from the road now. They have already started on other buildings.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:47 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
You sure that Mama Lucia is defunct? One is located in College Park in the College Park Marketplace. that food is AWESOME! Pricey, but worth it.
The original Mama Lucia was located at PG Plaza. It faced East-West Highway at the western most mall entrance near the Old Woodies store. It was owned by an Italian who employed Italian immigrants to make pizza. This restaurant was nothing more than a pizza parlor. It didn't have half window curtains, nice linen and fancy menu items like the one at the College Park Marketplace. But it did have great pizza. Unfortunately it closed down in the early to mid 1980s.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:56 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Quote:
I remember when Ratsie's first opened in the early 1980s. My former classmate from UMCP worked there part-time. The pizza used to be very good, but not as authentic/good as Mama Lucia (defunct pizza parlor once located at PG Plaza), until the current owner bought the establishment. The building was once occupied by a head shop. In fact there were a string of head shops at that corner.
Actually Ratsie's was called Tartarugas before the Indian guy bought it. He must've used low quality ingredients because his pizza really sucked. It was worse than the pizza at Purple Pizza.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:07 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Quote:
Actually Ratsie's was called Tartarugas before the Indian guy bought it. He must've used low quality ingredients because his pizza really sucked. It was worse than the pizza at Purple Pizza.
He's not Indian, he's (I think) Iranian. Nobody ever accused Ratsies of being good but late at night after the bar it was where you got pizza. It was definitely a CP cultural institution and a big part of my college experience, I'm sorry to see it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland