Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 08:47 PM

282 posts, read 320,728 times

Advertisements

Piece on ArtHouse project. Suggests Oct/Nov opening - any renovations started?

MilkBoy on the move with 2 new locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 04:08 AM

7,070 posts, read 9,492,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
Piece on ArtHouse project. Suggests Oct/Nov opening - any renovations started?

MilkBoy on the move with 2 new locations

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm starting to think I need to add 30% to the projected opening of each project that says they will open at a certain time. There are a number of projects with extended opening dates. So, I'd look for an opening in the spring of 2017 to be sure.

WHo knows? Nandos was also a retrofit that was approximately on time with their projected opening. Perhaps Art House will be the same.

To answer your question though, no renovations have started yet looking from the outside. No signs on the building, etc.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 02-11-2016 at 05:37 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 AM

It seems like the momentum in CP has slowed a bit. Everything seems to take longer than planned/expected. With the purple line approved I would think activity and investment would increase but doesn't seem to be any new projects popping up. Maybe if/when the FBI chooses Greenbelt?

I was hoping for a dramatically changed downtown in five years but it doesn't seem likely. Aside from the hotel and ArtHouse what else will dramatically change the downtown landscape by 2020-2021? Possibly new city hall and rt 1 frontage? The project with the grocery store past the shopping center? Anything else in the East Campus area?

May have to wait 10 years for a more dramatic overhaul.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
It seems like the momentum in CP has slowed a bit. Everything seems to take longer than planned/expected. With the purple line approved I would think activity and investment would increase but doesn't seem to be any new projects popping up. Maybe if/when the FBI chooses Greenbelt?

I was hoping for a dramatically changed downtown in five years but it doesn't seem likely. Aside from the hotel and ArtHouse what else will dramatically change the downtown landscape by 2020-2021? Possibly new city hall and rt 1 frontage? The project with the grocery store past the shopping center? Anything else in the East Campus area?

May have to wait 10 years for a more dramatic overhaul.
Not sure what you're expecting. It takes billions of dollars and years of planning to completely transform a city. As it stands now, when the bulk of projects wrap up this year and the first half of next year, RT. 1 will look different. This includes a few projects going on in Mount Rainier on Rt. 1 as well as I have indicated in this thread.

No, the car dealerships on RT. 1 aren't going anywhere soon. And neither are the countless inns north of 193.

As far as east campus is concerned, I believe I posted the university's thoughts on their innovation district.

There are apartments being developed at the College Park Metro station.

There is more in the pipeline.

Greater College Park

And to answer your question, yes, there will be more changes by 2021 which includes a finished Purple Line and perhaps a redeveloped two block area where Platos and Applesbee are. Renderings for that project is also in this thread. It is scheduled to deliver in phases with the first phase online in 2019 and the second in 2021.

Other than that, I think a lot has changed since 2010. And by 2021 it will have been a decade of constant change. Some towns will never experience such explosive change.

Take Suitland for example. They are praying for a government lease down there. I could name many other areas that haven't seen so much as a fast food chain be built.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:37 PM

18,481 posts, read 15,427,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Because that allows more room for more modern hotels like Cambria Suites. Trust me, there are plenty more inns in College Park to choose from. Losing one won't make a dent. Currently there are about 4 old style motor-inn type hotels in College Park. These are the kind you see on Rt. 301 headed south in VA when there were no I-95 or 495 interstates. It is 2016 and College Park is home to a major university and next to one of the most expensive cities to live in the country. Don't you think it is time for a change?

Now I'm not saying every hotel needs to be luxury or even mid-level, but the motor-inn style doesn't fit inside the Beltway on a major artery into DC anymore. The transformation of those style hotels are about 30 years overdue in a city like College Park.

Besides, they are perfect for crimes such as prostitution which College Park had to deal with a few years back.
It's sad to see affordable lodging going out, IMO. My folks don't need to spend an inordinate sum on lodging if they come to visit me in CP.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:45 PM

18,481 posts, read 15,427,784 times
Quote:
Not sure why they would be interested in just student housing. There is a need for market rate non-student housing close to campus. And as College Park becomes more inviting for non-students, I could see a market for that. Their loss.
Are you talking about condos and apartments? There are plenty of SFH-dominated areas off campus.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Are you talking about condos and apartments? There are plenty of SFH-dominated areas off campus.
Yes, I'm talking about condos and apartments.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you're expecting. It takes billions of dollars and years of planning to completely transform a city. As it stands now, when the bulk of projects wrap up this year and the first half of next year, RT. 1 will look different. This includes a few projects going on in Mount Rainier on Rt. 1 as well as I have indicated in this thread lease down there.
I have high expectations for a town that houses the flagship university of one of the wealthiest states in the country, which sits right outside one of the worlds great and powerful cities. I'm thrilled that some progress has been made in the past 5-10 years but driving down rt 1 from the beltway to campus is still far from appealing to the eyes. It is a shame it didn't start 20 years ago.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I have high expectations for a town that houses the flagship university of one of the wealthiest states in the country, which sits right outside one of the worlds great and powerful cities. I'm thrilled that some progress has been made in the past 5-10 years but driving down rt 1 from the beltway to campus is still far from appealing to the eyes. It is a shame it didn't start 20 years ago.
I completely understand and I agree. It is a shame. But the next five years will bring even faster change. The Purple Line should spur even more development. Especially in the innovation district (East Campus).

To be honest, I couldn't ask for anything better. If I were to give the city and UMD a grade on their efforts today, I would give them an A+. Like I said, College Park is one of the fastest developing towns in the DC area. Everybody in the DC area is not experiencing such explosive development. Only Downtown DC, Tysons, and Silver Spring are a few comparable examples to explosive development I can think of.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:20 PM

College Park A 2020 Vision
Tuesday, April 5 at 5 p.m. at the Samuel Riggs IV Alumni Center on the University of Maryland campus

Admission is FREE but advance registration is required, so reserve your space today!

College Park News and Happenings | February 12, 2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland