Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 11:22 AM

340 posts, read 376,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I agree on the Subway. That in no way should have been a free standing box store on Rt. 1. There were plenty other opportunities for retail space in existing buildings.

As far as the townhomes along RT. 1, I don't see that as a big deal. Many of the exclusive or up and coming neighborhoods in DC are lined with row houses mixed with blocks of retail. Besides, there are plenty more lots along RT. 1 in Hyattsville that are perfect for mixed-use development.
I sort of corrected my position, I think downtown Hyattsville should be designated as non-residential facing baltimore ave, basically between the courthouse and the jefferson intersection.

This is the distinction between Downtown/Campus College Park and Downtown Hyattsville, the development in College Park is big boom stuff, the development in Hyattsville is or at least should be artsy and historic as they are forcing onto Pizzeria Paradiso, like Shortcake Bakery, like Vigilante, like Pyramid, etc and any other business that has come along there.

The problem is that these townhouses look like crap and the rowhouses in DC look historic at the very least. So here is a developer trying to squeeze every dime he can out of a property in the middle of an Arts District with townhouses that lack any craftsmanship whatsover. If they want to build townhouses, build some that have some craftsmanship, like the ones above proposed for replacing the municipal building and then buy that entire block from castle to castle (please leave the castles) and do it right but don't try to squeeze some little crap on a lot and end up standing out like those green townhouses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 11:34 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
I sort of corrected my position, I think downtown Hyattsville should be designated as non-residential facing baltimore ave, basically between the courthouse and the jefferson intersection.

This is the distinction between Downtown/Campus College Park and Downtown Hyattsville, the development in College Park is big boom stuff, the development in Hyattsville is or at least should be artsy and historic as they are forcing onto Pizzeria Paradiso, like Shortcake Bakery, like Vigilante, like Pyramid, etc and any other business that has come along there.

The problem is that these townhouses look like crap and the rowhouses in DC look historic at the very least. So here is a developer trying to squeeze every dime he can out of a property in the middle of an Arts District with townhouses that lack any craftsmanship whatsover. If they want to build townhouses, build some that have some craftsmanship, like the ones above proposed for replacing the municipal building and then buy that entire block from castle to castle (please leave the castles) and do it right but don't try to squeeze some little crap on a lot and end up standing out like those green townhouses.
Maybe there's some abstract artistic reason behind having all these hodge-podge townhomes. To be honest, I'm not sure there is anyone taking a birds-eye view of the aesthetics of all these piecemeal developments to see what the overall affect would be on passerby. There's some benefit of providing visual distinction between blocks, but I guess there can be extremes.

I find it hard to describe the look the city is going for.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:

What is frustrating to me is that building that Verizon owns. That could be a very nice historic apartment building. But it is used for a utility. What a waste on such an activated intersection.

I don't expect the car wash and the other auto mechanic spots to last much longer. The block with the TESST building should be activated in the next few years with some retail. There's the used auto lot that is a blight and should be purchased if it already hasn't been that could be used for mixed-use. There's the lot with Shagga Cafe and the gas station.

Take a look at the huge triangle with lots along Rt. 1 that I suspect could be used for large mixed-use developments in the future. It is just a collection of disjointed businesses including the used car lot. That is a long plot of land that can activate a very large section of Rt. 1.
Personally, I don't see why they would add mixed-use developments to these parts, at least if that means apartments with street level retail. I think the apartments should be smaller conversions, i.e. the Verizon building, and focused on building surrounding the current metro stations or future metro stations plus the campus. So, yes both sides of Baltimore ave some unsightly structures that should be turned over for possibly building townhouses or small businesses, but it's not too much of a problem imo

Old 08-10-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Personally, I don't see why they would add mixed-use developments to these parts, at least if that means apartments with street level retail. I think the apartments should be smaller conversions, i.e. the Verizon building, and focused on building surrounding the current metro stations or future metro stations plus the campus. So, yes both sides of Baltimore ave some unsightly structures that should be turned over for possibly building townhouses or small businesses, but it's not too much of a problem imo
Do you have a street that has a look that you are describing? I think I understand what you are saying. The character of Hyattsville is a small town and shouldn't be developed so much that it turns into a mini urban city.

Development density should retain the small-town feel with rowhouses and retail no higher than two stories.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Do you have a street that has a look that you are describing? I think I understand what you are saying. The character of Hyattsville is a small town and shouldn't be developed so much that it turns into a mini urban city.

Development density should retain the small-town feel with rowhouses and retail no higher than two stories.
Hyattsville is in a good position to have the best of both worlds. Big modern dense development by PG Plaza and small-town, historic, artsy development downtown. Downtown Hyattsville should be targeting a feel of a smaller version of Old Town Alexandria or downtown Takoma Park. Small retail along King Street and residential on the streets surrounding.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:14 PM

12th street NW in Brookland has a nice stretch of commercial/retail for 3-4 blocks and 8th St SE by Eastern Market are also good examples.... keep the original buildings and rehab/outfit them for the new business and fill in the gaps with parking, parks, extensions of the existing structures

Last edited by DoughLow805; 08-10-2016 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 01:34 PM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
Quote:
Hyattsville is in a good position to have the best of both worlds. Big modern dense development by PG Plaza and small-town, historic, artsy development downtown. Downtown Hyattsville should be targeting a feel of a smaller version of Old Town Alexandria or downtown Takoma Park. Small retail along King Street and residential on the streets surrounding.
I agree. I like that vibe. King Street has big stores though but they manage to make it all look cute and quaint. Hyattsville, West Riverdale and College Park have some beautiful historic homes. It would be great if newer builds kinda looked like the neighborhood.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:23 AM

More dates getting pushed back. I've been waiting for Fat Pete's to open since last year. And just this summer, Fat Pete's tweeted an August opening was in the works. Now, this latest article suggests and October opening. Permits? I recall Kangnam BBQ opened almost 6 months after their published opening date.

The ever changing list of opening dates.

January 2016

Quote:
There is no set date for the restaurant’s opening, but Holibaugh said he hopes to be operating when students return from winter break.
Fat Pete

Spring 2016

Quote:
Fat Pete’s BBQ restaurant to open this spring
Fat Pete’s BBQ restaurant to open this spring - The Diamondback

August 2016

Quote:
Fat Pete's BBQ ‏@FatPetesBBQ Jul 30
@t3rrariumt @FatPetesBBQ should be open late August #collegeparkfatpetsbbq
https://twitter.com/hashtag/collegep...tsbbq?src=hash

October 2016

Quote:
The downtown office crowd will soon be able to fill up on burnt ends, pulled pork, and other barbecue staples when the second location of Fat Pete's BBQ opens at 801 18th St. NW. Chef Howard "Hondo" Greenberg says they hope to be open by Sept. 1.

A third location is slated to debut one month later in College Park, Md., according to Hondo. And that's just the beginning. "We’ll hopefully have 10-15 restaurants in the next couple of years," Greenberg says.
D.C. Gets a Second Fat Pete's BBQ, This Time Downtown | Washington City Paper

Old 08-12-2016, 09:28 AM

Driving through College Park yesterday, I noticed that they are in the beginning stages of removing the brick facade in preparation for the huge window door in the picture below. I saw the cut lines in the brick and the awning has been removed. Hopefully this project isn't delayed 8 months. They have already started scheduling performances. We should start to see some heavy construction on the exterior for the next few months.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:58 PM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
From Washington Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...-grows-up.html

Last edited by lookingbutnotlost; 08-12-2016 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland