Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 09:52 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeParkEDC View Post
Hello,

I am the new Economic Development Coordinator for the City of College Park. This thread has been a treasure trove of knowledge for me. You all are very knowledgeable about the area and the development projects taking place. I am in the process of finishing the August Development Update Newsletter. So far I have basic information on: The Hotel, the WMATA/Gilbane project, Terrapin Row, Alta, Cambria Hotel/CVS, the Metropolitan development going up accross route 1 from Monument Village, Southern Gateway, the War Horse development behind the Hotel, Lidl, ArtHouse, Riverdale Park, EZ Storage, College Park Honda Expansion, Ron Paul project going next to WMATA/Gilbane, new Custom Homes being constructed in Old Town ,and the Purple Line.

Is there anything else that you would like to see covered in the Development Update? Are there any specific questions you have about a particular project?
Welcome and thanks for stopping by! For me personally, this thread grew out of a growing anticipation for many amenities that we have been lacking for so long in many parts of the county.

I think you pretty much covered everything. We haven't heard much about the coffee house and wine bar from the owners of Plato's Diner. Has it been shelved because of the fire? Will it be developed as part of the Southern Gateway?

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...shop-from.html

In addition, there is construction activity where the Townplace Suites by Marriott was supposed to be built. Is that the same project? It is mentioned in this College Park Update back in 2013.

http://www.collegeparkmd.gov/documen...nuary_2013.pdf

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 10:03 AM

662 posts, read 783,513 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am the new Economic Development Coordinator for the City of College Park. This thread has been a treasure trove of knowledge for me. You all are very knowledgeable about the area and the development projects taking place. I am in the process of finishing the August Development Update Newsletter. So far I have basic information on: The Hotel, the WMATA/Gilbane project, Terrapin Row, Alta, Cambria Hotel/CVS, the Metropolitan development going up accross route 1 from Monument Village, Southern Gateway, the War Horse development behind the Hotel, Lidl, ArtHouse, Riverdale Park, EZ Storage, College Park Honda Expansion, Ron Paul project going next to WMATA/Gilbane, new Custom Homes being constructed in Old Town ,and the Purple Line.

Is there anything else that you would like to see covered in the Development Update? Are there any specific questions you have about a particular project?
Hello,

What will be done about the empty storefronts along Baltimore Avenue in College Park? There is one next to the new pizza place near Guilford and I have seen some others. And the abandoned homes--what does the city plan to do with them?

Old 08-24-2016, 12:45 PM

282 posts, read 322,663 times
Quote:
Hello,

Welcome. Definitely an exciting time to be in and around CP. Occasionally it would be nice to get updates on projects aimed at improving the aesthetics of rt1 and CP in general. At some point in the future there is a big highway project for the rt but hopefully smaller efforts along the way. Probably not worthy of a monthly update.

Maybe an occasional update on projects on the backlog - approved but delayed, approved but dead, etc.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Hello,

Also, what are the plans to make downtown College Park more 'charming'? I don't think it will be hard but it is something that should happen.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:24 PM

College Park Shopping Center construction won

Old 09-02-2016, 05:40 PM

220 posts, read 184,525 times
9/2/16 article: UMD President Wallace Loh hints at new arts addition to Route 1

University President Wallace Loh wrote in a welcome email to students that "a new art gallery" could "potentially" occupy space adjacent the planned Route 1 arts and entertainment complex.

Two senior university communications officials further confirmed that the potential gallery is part of the university's nearly year-old partnership with The Phillips Collection, a Washington, D.C. private modern art museum.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 PM

282 posts, read 322,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terp80 View Post
9/2/16 article: UMD President Wallace Loh hints at new arts addition to Route 1

University President Wallace Loh wrote in a welcome email to students that "a new art gallery" could "potentially" occupy space adjacent the planned Route 1 arts and entertainment complex.

Two senior university communications officials further confirmed that the potential gallery is part of the university's nearly year-old partnership with The Phillips Collection, a Washington, D.C. private modern art museum.
This is an important project in my opinion because it fills a void in CP that is essential to creating a vibrant college town - unique arts and entertainment venues/galleries. Plus it could be another destination for people to come to town other than sports. The Hotel will certainly drive traffic to town as well. Will be interesting to see what becomes of that art and entertainment venue from Plank.

I thought the Phillips gallery was going to be on rt1 across from the hotel but this article suggests it will be in the east campus area behind or next to the hotel.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Agreed plus just aesthetically this is downtown Hyattsville, an arts district, not a boom town...a mostly residential street full of historic designations on structures all around, the city should be pushing for single family houses even.
Here are both presentations. After looking at each presentation, I agree that the townhomes would be much better. Especially the townhome design on Jay Street. It reminds me of some of the side streets in Georgetown.

Townhomes:
http://www.hyattsville.org/DocumentCenter/View/3890

Lofts
http://www.hyattsville.org/DocumentCenter/View/3891

Old 09-07-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
This is an important project in my opinion because it fills a void in CP that is essential to creating a vibrant college town - unique arts and entertainment venues/galleries. Plus it could be another destination for people to come to town other than sports. The Hotel will certainly drive traffic to town as well. Will be interesting to see what becomes of that art and entertainment venue from Plank.

I thought the Phillips gallery was going to be on rt1 across from the hotel but this article suggests it will be in the east campus area behind or next to the hotel.
I think that an art gallery like that should be on RT. 1. There is enough room so that a corner could face RT. 1. Something as prominent as a Phillips Gallery shouldn't be hidden where people would have to look for it. At least have it face College Ave (Old Paint Branch Pkwy).

Old 09-08-2016, 11:24 AM

340 posts, read 377,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Here are both presentations. After looking at each presentation, I agree that the townhomes would be much better. Especially the townhome design on Jay Street. It reminds me of some of the side streets in Georgetown.

Townhomes:
http://www.hyattsville.org/DocumentCenter/View/3890

Lofts
http://www.hyattsville.org/DocumentCenter/View/3891
Yep, I'm definitely in favor of the town homes (unlike those for the blue bird lot on route 1).

The advantages I see to building the apartments over the townhomes is strictly the addition customers it would give to the businesses in downtown hyattsville and potential to fill some of the empty store fronts and lots. I guess adding apartments to the area would spur more demand in the existing home market nearby as ppl fall in love with the area while renting, that's why I bought nearby while renting at Mosaic and my neighbor while renting at Post Park. The rest of it is all buzzwords and development lingo...sustainable, arts loft...sounds cool but I worry about these large apartments that aren't metro accessible, build that apartment by PG Plaza.

I hope what I envision is close to what the planning committee also envisions and why they'll choose these town homes and continue to give the blue bird town homes a very tough time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland