Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2013, 09:01 PM
 
2,429 posts, read 3,566,591 times
Reputation: 395

Advertisements

Hopefully Maxwell will be able to realize his vision for the school system.

Quote:
In his first public appearance before the Prince George’s County Council, Schools Chief Executive Officer Kevin Maxwell said Tuesday that he is evaluating the district’s specialty programs, surveying underutilized schools and analyzing how grades are distributed in schools.

Maxwell addresses the Prince George’s County Council - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2013, 04:09 PM
 
84 posts, read 135,223 times
Reputation: 38
I hope he is able move pg in an upward trend, i don't have kids now but do plan to have 1 within the next couple years and it would be nice if public system could be a viable option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 05:36 PM
 
795 posts, read 1,268,776 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergfella View Post
I hope he is able move pg in an upward trend, i don't have kids now but do plan to have 1 within the next couple years and it would be nice if public system could be a viable option
My young cousin graduated from pg schools with a 4.2 or .3 (someplace in there). Got accepted in every school in MD and VA.... She applied to over 10 schools only in those two states for some reason.

PG is not bad if you take an active roll in your kids education, as my older cousin did with my younger cousin. Actually, both parents did....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Reputation: 2581
[quote=King_of_DC;32313905]My young cousin graduated from pg schools with a 4.2 or .3 (someplace in there). Got accepted in every school in MD and VA.... She applied to over 10 schools only in those two states for some reason.

PG is not bad if you take an active roll in your kids education, as my older cousin did with my younger cousin. Actually, both parents did....[/quote]

^Definitely this! I can definitely relate because my mother, grandmother, and some of the teachers and advisors I had in my academic life have been very active in helping me overcome some of the obstacles involving both the learning process and the available resources to get me to wear I am now. Currently attending PGCC and have nearly all my credits (Still working on PITA math though) to get my A.A. in order to transfer over to Bowie State to get that B.A. And I'm trying to decide whether or not if I should do grad school afterwards....Maybe either attend grad school here in Maryland or in DC, Virginia, North Carolina, or up in the Philly area. A majority of my friends also turned out really well and most are on the verge of graduation and/or are already establishing a foothold in the career path. I know first-hand that kids can make it through in the PGC public school system with a lot to look forward to, all it takes is teacher/advisor AND parental involvement and positive motivation from the student. I wish Maxwell the very best of luck and hope that he will set the course for this county's public school system towards great new beginnings with positive results that will hopefully make it one of the best county public school systems in Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 PM
 
795 posts, read 1,268,776 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post

^Definitely this! I can definitely relate because my mother, grandmother, and some of the teachers and advisors I had in my academic life have been very active in helping me overcome some of the obstacles involving both the learning process and the available resources to get me to wear I am now. Currently attending PGCC and have nearly all my credits (Still working on PITA math though) to get my A.A. in order to transfer over to Bowie State to get that B.A. And I'm trying to decide whether or not if I should do grad school afterwards....Maybe either attend grad school here in Maryland or in DC, Virginia, North Carolina, or up in the Philly area. A majority of my friends also turned out really well and most are on the verge of graduation and/or are already establishing a foothold in the career path. I know first-hand that kids can make it through in the PGC public school system with a lot to look forward to, all it takes is teacher/advisor AND parental involvement and positive motivation from the student. I wish Maxwell the very best of luck and hope that he will set the course for this county's public school system towards great new beginnings with positive results that will hopefully make it one of the best county public school systems in Maryland.
I went to grad school in ATL... looking back on it, I should have came up here so I could have networked...

NC can be a good move, but if you grew up here, it might drive you crazy... it is slow. I lived in NC for years as well (charlotte).

I think most people on here paint areas with a wide brush... I'm still looking at houses and one area in pg had lower crime than an area in VA... and the area in va had multiple crime stats, it was scary (I'm thinking it had to be by some clubs or something - so many assaults).

Anyway, the school system is not the last say in your kids education... but I will say that the kids I've spoke to in Bethesda go to some great programs (building robots, etc)... not sure if the same programs are available in PG...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 12:44 PM
 
Location: DMV
10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Reputation: 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
My young cousin graduated from pg schools with a 4.2 or .3 (someplace in there). Got accepted in every school in MD and VA.... She applied to over 10 schools only in those two states for some reason.

PG is not bad if you take an active roll in your kids education, as my older cousin did with my younger cousin. Actually, both parents did....
Of course there will always be success stories. PG County Schools aren't awful compared to the rest of the country but they can be much better. Having success stories is nice but the county shouldn't become complacent about making progress based on anecdotal success. The reality is the overall system needs work. While there maybe nice stories like that there aren't enough. There are a lot of apathetic administrators, teachers and parents who need to change their attitude towards education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 02:51 PM
 
2,429 posts, read 3,566,591 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Of course there will always be success stories. PG County Schools aren't awful compared to the rest of the country but they can be much better. Having success stories is nice but the county shouldn't become complacent about making progress based on anecdotal success. The reality is the overall system needs work. While there maybe nice stories like that there aren't enough. There are a lot of apathetic administrators, teachers and parents who need to change their attitude towards education.
Not to take away from your point because I do agree with it but all schools systems could stand improvement since none are perfect. Whether you are in a poor school system or a great one, parents need to be involved and committed in the education of their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM
 
Location: DMV
10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Reputation: 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Not to take away from your point because I do agree with it but all schools systems could stand improvement since none are perfect. Whether you are in a poor school system or a great one, parents need to be involved and committed in the education of their children.
Agreed. I know some of the leadership in the PG County PTA Council and they have really tried to address the lack of participation with parents in the local PTA organizations. Not only does that help the students, but it helps hold the administration and teachers accountable. If parents don't show up, the perception is they do not care and if they do not care, then who is going to be invested in making sure the kids receive the best education? I definitely agree, the parents involvement is paramount. If you look at the great school system, that is one of the main things that separates them from PG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Oceania
8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post

In his first public appearance before the Prince George’s County Council, Schools Chief Executive Officer Kevin Maxwell said Tuesday that he is evaluating the district’s specialty programs, surveying underutilized schools and analyzing how grades are distributed in schools.

The segue points to analyzing how grades are distributed in schools. I have no want to read the story but that one point is troubling. Grades aren't distributed, they are earned. To think some believe them to be distributed is troubling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 01:46 PM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Reputation: 61017
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The segue points to analyzing how grades are distributed in schools. I have no want to read the story but that one point is troubling. Grades aren't distributed, they are earned. To think some believe them to be distributed is troubling.
That is educobabble which translates to "There are too many failing grades". The "analysis" has already hit the schools where some teachers have been "counseled" about their grade distribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top