Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 07:39 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,069 times

Advertisements

You know the interesting thing that I find about this action is that DC, Montgomery County and now PGC have taken independant strides to raise minimum wage in their areas but none of the counties in NOVA (to my knowledge) have moved to raise their minimum wages. Wonder why.

Prince George’s County Council set to vote on minimum-wage increase - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
You know the interesting thing that I find about this action is that DC, Montgomery County and now PGC have taken independant strides to raise minimum wage in their areas but none of the counties in NOVA (to my knowledge) have moved to raise their minimum wages. Wonder why.

Prince George’s County Council set to vote on minimum-wage increase - The Washington Post
If you ask me, it's 10 years overdue. It kills me that businesses complain that they will be hurt, yet do they understand that if their own employees can't afford their services because of low wages, that huts business as well. Granted some businesses have slim profits but others enjoy huge profits. And did these businesses expect people to be paid under $10/hr for 20 more years? That salary is unsustainable in this world, especially in the DC area. The minimum wage in the DC area, a growing economy, should have been above $10/hr about 10 years ago. When you have to work an hour just to afford a one-way trip to work, there's something wrong with that.

I think they'll approve it and tie it to Montgomery County's scheduled increases.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:57 AM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Supply and demand. Businesses have paid above minimum in NoVA for years. Why not in MD?

Old 11-27-2013, 08:28 AM

[quote=North Beach Person;32399964]Supply and demand. Businesses have paid above minimum in NoVA for years. Why not in MD?[/quote

I am mainly referring to retail businesses. Are you saying that retail business in NOVA pay above minimum wage? If so, that was not the case when I lived there and worked in retail.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
If you ask me, it's 10 years overdue. It kills me that businesses complain that they will be hurt, yet do they understand that if their own employees can't afford their services because of low wages, that huts business as well. Granted some businesses have slim profits but others enjoy huge profits. And did these businesses expect people to be paid under $10/hr for 20 more years? That salary is unsustainable in this world, especially in the DC area. The minimum wage in the DC area, a growing economy, should have been above $10/hr about 10 years ago. When you have to work an hour just to afford a one-way trip to work, there's something wrong with that.

I think they'll approve it and tie it to Montgomery County's scheduled increases.
Yeah they definitely will since they were holding off their vote to make sure they were not the only on that island. As for profits, they are not that slim. The markups you find on the average good/product would make anyone physically ill.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:35 AM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
[quote=UrbanScholar;32400306]
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Supply and demand. Businesses have paid above minimum in NoVA for years. Why not in MD?[/quote

I am mainly referring to retail businesses. Are you saying that retail business in NOVA pay above minimum wage? If so, that was not the case when I lived there and worked in retail.
Many retailers have, or did. Immigration has likely pushed some of that down.

In the mid-90's to the early 2000's, many of my students in rural Prince George's worked in NoVA at retail places because they were paying more than in MD.

Since then the number of my students working any job has dropped off the table. They talk about it but never seem to get around to it.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:52 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Some of you are mistaken about the role of business. Businesses aren't a charity they are in business to make money. The same people complaining about the lack of businesses in PG & lack of commercial taxes are the same ones cheering on this foolishness.

If PG was lead by smart leaders they would take the opportunity of MoCo raising their minimum wage as a chance to differentiate itself. That would require brain power I guess. I'm sure businesses will trip all over themselves to locate in PG now that they have raised the minimum above the going rate of labor for low skilled jobs.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Yeah they definitely will since they were holding off their vote to make sure they were not the only on that island. As for profits, they are not that slim. The markups you find on the average good/product would make anyone physically ill.
Do you work with financial statements, strategy etc.? Do you realize businesses compete on price? So if one company has raised its prices to enjoy obscene profits, other businesses would rush in under cut their prices to get a piece of the pie. The only companies that can run up the margins you speak are monopolies or oligarchies. Microsoft would be a good example during their operating system dominance phase. How many Microsoft like businesses are in PG?

Old 11-27-2013, 09:05 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Some of you are mistaken about the role of business. Businesses aren't a charity they are in business to make money. The same people complaining about the lack of businesses in PG & lack of commercial taxes are the same ones cheering on this foolishness.

If PG was lead by smart leaders they would take the opportunity of MoCo raising their minimum wage as a chance to differentiate itself. That would require brain power I guess. I'm sure businesses will trip all over themselves to locate in PG now that they have raised the minimum above the going rate of labor for low skilled jobs.
So, how do you propose to keep minimum wages below $10/hr for the foreseeable future without expanding the numbers of working poor? Is there even a place for minimum wages? And if so, how should they be adjusted? Because right now, $7.25/hr in the DC area market in 2013 is either laughable or justifiable.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
It's real simple if you don't like the pay, don't take the job.

This is an awful idea. Again Wegmans was right along with Walmart in not supporting this bill in DC.

How a D.C. wage bill ? and the council?s hubris ? threaten city development - Washington Post

Quote:
Wegmans, the grocery chain the city is trying to lure to the former Walter Reed Army Medical Center campus, has also reportedly expressed concerns about the extra cost of doing business and the competitive disadvantage (i.e., higher prices) that would result from the bill.
Business will have a clear reason not to locate to PG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland