U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:18 AM

377 posts, read 627,159 times

Advertisements

Talk about glittering generalities. lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:06 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,368,433 times
This was way over generalized and analyzed to the point of no return. If a dozen people were represented by this article, which I won't read, it is like stopping a dozen tourists in DC and asking them some absurd questions. You will hear complaints all about 1st world woes from them as well as anyone in the nation. If there is no drama or woes life become hollow, no? We gotta go slug it out in the salt mines and nothing goes along with that but a day's worth of belly aching. It's the American way. Little inconveniences while on vacations turn into meltdown situations among the average American tourist who thinks his/her little vacation/agenda to be of more importance than your time. Especially when visiting the nation's capitol. Everything is supposed to perfect, clean and pristine here just like on TV and in the travel brochures. I guess no one told them it is but another city but full of historic tourist attractions EVERYONE wants to see.

I love generalizations of people living in Bethesda which should be BCC as Chevy Chase belongs in there if you want to include all of the supposed wealthy in that vicinity. I did flooring work in the 80s and made a lot of stops in houses off Foxhall road and the condos of Sutton Place just blocks from AU. Those folks have the money but you would never know it save for the cost of the junk in their houses.
Sure, they dress nice and drive nice cars but they have average old houses that are obscenely overpriced. Unlike their BCC brethren, these are the folks who can drop things and go on nice vacations.

I would rather whine about the woes of wealth than those of strife.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 AM

24,647 posts, read 25,200,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
True wealth means that one leaves Bethesda and travels MONTHLY/weekly on demand vs being stuck in suburbia.
I know several people whose job requires them to travel constantly like that. But I opted out of that lifestyle because it was pretty pointless to me.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:48 AM

708 posts, read 1,161,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I know several people whose job requires them to travel constantly like that. But I opted out of that lifestyle because it was pretty pointless to me.
I think when you do it for a job vs say....taking a trip to the Olypmics or to run with the bulls is a big difference. I agree with you though, travelling constantly for work can be mind numbing.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 PM

921 posts, read 1,084,514 times
This seems to be true about Bethesda. I noticed the unhappiness with certain folks when I went to view a housing community in that area. I greeted people and majority of them didn't even greet back & they also gave me a weird look. This was a complete turnoff! Who wants to live in a miserable environment. In Bethesda, it's all about competition and you never feel like you have enough. The "Keeping Up With The Jones'" mentality will eventually lead a lot of people into mental institutions or early graves!

Old 12-04-2013, 06:15 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,368,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
The "Keeping Up With The Jones'" mentality will eventually lead a lot of people into mental institutions or early graves!

Or cause those who can't to whine about it.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 AM

288 posts, read 498,327 times
Default I'm going to argue a bit with this one ....

For starters? I really dislike the "Idle hands are the devil's playground." quote. It's just not true. BOREDOM is much more the devil's playground. The idea that you've got to constantly keep working, working, working, or you're going to get yourself into trouble is one of the mistakes we make in the USA. It leads to 60+ hour work-weeks and long hours that get increasingly unproductive as people get tired and lose concentration. I think it also pushes people to just settle, accepting a job that's less challenging and rewarding because of pressure to "just get a job!". Once you're on the hamster wheel, working a full-time dead end job to pay all the bills, it's much harder to do a real job search for something better.

But more to the real point of the discussion here?

Yes, I suppose life is boring for some of the wealthy Bethesda residents. I can't imagine it's any more boring than suburban life anyplace else in the nation though? It's still all about what you, as an individual, make of it. Working in downtown Bethesda myself, I actually see quite a bit of opportunity there for those inclined to pursue various arts -- including a shop that holds pottery/ceramics classes, and many events to benefit the painter/artist. I think most of us in the "working class" don't have free time to pursue such things, but Bethesda offers them for the types with both time and money.

If you ask me? Some of the most depressed or bitter folks I've ever encountered in this whole area come from Potomac. I often drop packages off at the post office off the River Road and it's rare I can get in and out of that place without encountering sour faces or people spouting off angry comments. I've witnessed similar insanity in the Potomac Village shopping center parking lot, including an old man who was so upset he wasn't able to get his parking spot, he sat in his car honking his horn for a good 2 minutes at the guy who had already parked and walked in to one of the stores!

I think there, you've got the "double whammy" of people with too much free time (plenty of money and don't go anyplace to work at all), plus so much land between properties, everyone feels isolated from each other.

I can't speak so much for Northern Bethesda, but whenever I run into people downtown there, I don't find them especially depressed or angry -- any more so than anyplace else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My assessment is this: We are a society who places great emphasis on materialism. Materialism is begat by wealth. If you have unlimited resources to buy most anything you want, at anytime you want, then daily life in suburbia (Bethesda) is rather boring. Idle hands are the devils playground. If more spouses in Bethesda actually were employed, with real responsibilities like navigating competing schedules, they might find that life has a bit more to offer than driving to the mall in the Range Rover and finding something to gripe about in every little inconvenience that infringes on their rather lifeless existence.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:48 PM

709 posts, read 1,077,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
It's true. To whom much is given, much is required. That's why you don't hear about many of the top celebrities leading happy balanced lives. Lottery winners take on a whole host of problems than before they won. Even trust fund babies have issues because people accuse them of not having to work for their wealth. Wealthy people who got there through business have to deal with the stress of running that business and answering to shareholders, making sure the accounting is accurate, and even managing the greed factor. I think TV and the media glorifies wealth way too much. While there are some benefits to wealth, it's not always a day at the beach. And my wife will tell you, a lot of that wealth you see in Bethesda is tied up in homes and old money; people taking out huge sums of equity from the homes their grandparents and parents left them. Then the recession happened and a lot of them ended up-side-down with bills to pay and no more equity. That could explain the sour faces.
I don't even think its that. A lot of people are full of crap and not as "well off" as they try to look. Its the live up to the Joneses "look at me!!" show off mentality (as someone else already said).

A lot of people in America think they are wealthy. But if you derive your income from a salary, business, or other incremental venture, you are not really rich. Real wealth is in owning money, not consuming or earning it.

Wealth is not parked in your driveway, nor is it represented by your street address, what clubs you belong to, or what clothes you wear. These are trappings of earnings, and oftentimes, ironically, the really wealthy eschew these sorts of noveau riche sort of things. Only the people of the poorest taste engage in ostentatious display in most causes.

To many folks today, of course, this is what they think of, when they think, "rich" - and our popular culture promotes consumption as a sign of wealth.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:27 PM

921 posts, read 1,084,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Or cause those who can't to whine about it.
There is more to life than playing keep-up. Only folks without morals think keeping-up is the key to happiness & success.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:29 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,174,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
This was way over generalized and analyzed to the point of no return.
Agreed. I would still encourage you to read the article but I doubt it would sway your opinion about its overgeneralization. Suicide is a very real public health crisis and disproportionately impacts predominantly white communities (irrespective of high income), of which Bethesda is one and also disproportionately impacts Asian Americans, the second largest population in Bethesda.

Despite this article, I don't think any rational mind assumes Bethesda is rife with unhappy, depressed people that are suicidal maniacs all on the verge of killing themselves. As a result, one healthy exercise on these forums would be the next time you hear of a homicide committed by some black individual in a low-income neighborhood in DC, PG County, or Baltimore, you can shout down the baiters who imply all African Americans are homicidal maniacs on the verge of killing someone else.

In every society there are going to be disaffected individuals. There is no exclusively geographic factor (and certainly not a genetic one) that is going to allow a broad brush to be painted across an entire sector of people. Every college town has unusually high rape statistics, most young college aged men aren't rapists. Every wealthy town contains materialistic compulsive shoppers not made particularly happy with the fact consumerism doesn't equate to happiness. This does not mean Bethesda is on the verge of meltdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland