U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 05:59 PM

343 posts, read 911,868 times

Advertisements

If you've ever noticed the unfriendliness and coldness of people in Bethesda, then you've stumbled upon a very real phenomenon, so real that there's an article in this month's Bethesda Magazine which explores it.

From the November issue of Bethesda Magazine

Quote:
- "On any given day, many of the people striding through downtown Bethesda look either distracted or disgruntled."

- "Here in this area, we have many people who suffer from addictions, depression, anxiety disorders and obsessive disorders..."

- "'There's a huge rudeness factor... People complain about everything... The expectations are inflated here... People here have a sense of entitlement.' That sense of entitlement affects people's attitudes. "

- "Many people don't even know their neighbors, despite having lived on the same street for years..."

- "The subject of keeping up with the Joneses... arises again and again. 'There's this sense here that nothing is quite enough... We're never content because we're always looking for something more... You're expected to keep up with all of it to be accepted, and this leads to feelings of emptiness.'"
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 09:53 PM

795 posts, read 1,187,631 times
I don't know, replace Bethesda with any place in the DC metro and it would be true... I'd rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable. LOL...

Guess now someone comes in with "I was much more happy when I was poor" lie.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 AM

24,539 posts, read 25,094,033 times
People in Bethesda are miserable because they only get to have 3 European vacations a year while their next door neighbor has 5 European vacations a year.

The horror of it all!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:38 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,672,423 times
It didn't used to be like that back in the day...

This is what generally happens when liberals that rule the area wanted "change".

Last edited by e30is; 12-03-2013 at 06:53 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 AM

6,868 posts, read 8,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
I don't know, replace Bethesda with any place in the DC metro and it would be true... I'd rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable. LOL...

It's true. To whom much is given, much is required. That's why you don't hear about many of the top celebrities leading happy balanced lives. Lottery winners take on a whole host of problems than before they won. Even trust fund babies have issues because people accuse them of not having to work for their wealth. Wealthy people who got there through business have to deal with the stress of running that business and answering to shareholders, making sure the accounting is accurate, and even managing the greed factor. I think TV and the media glorifies wealth way too much. While there are some benefits to wealth, it's not always a day at the beach. And my wife will tell you, a lot of that wealth you see in Bethesda is tied up in homes and old money; people taking out huge sums of equity from the homes their grandparents and parents left them. Then the recession happened and a lot of them ended up-side-down with bills to pay and no more equity. That could explain the sour faces.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:19 AM

72 posts, read 174,513 times
I rather be owner of a dollar than slave of 2 dollars...

Old 12-03-2013, 10:16 AM

23,832 posts, read 22,081,612 times
My assessment is this: We are a society who places great emphasis on materialism. Materialism is begat by wealth. If you have unlimited resources to buy most anything you want, at anytime you want, then daily life in suburbia (Bethesda) is rather boring. Idle hands are the devils playground. If more spouses in Bethesda actually were employed, with real responsibilities like navigating competing schedules, they might find that life has a bit more to offer than driving to the mall in the Range Rover and finding something to gripe about in every little inconvenience that infringes on their rather lifeless existence.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 PM

99 posts, read 144,067 times
I think Bethesda Magazine is painting Bethesda with a broad brush. Talking about a random handful of people isn't a scientific study.
If you're unhappy with your job, marriage or whatever, it probably doesn't matter where you happen to live.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:36 AM

708 posts, read 1,159,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My assessment is this: We are a society who places great emphasis on materialism. Materialism is begat by wealth. If you have unlimited resources to buy most anything you want, at anytime you want, then daily life in suburbia (Bethesda) is rather boring. Idle hands are the devils playground. If more spouses in Bethesda actually were employed, with real responsibilities like navigating competing schedules, they might find that life has a bit more to offer than driving to the mall in the Range Rover and finding something to gripe about in every little inconvenience that infringes on their rather lifeless existence.
I think this is close but want to augment a bit.

Bethesda and DC has "false" wealth. People have money and some spare change but in reality who owns the home outright, or can charter a private plane or fly first class where they want to go? Even in Bethesda this is around only 5-7% of the population.

There is alot of false wealth combined with materialism which is a dangerous thing. True wealth means that one leaves Bethesda and travels MONTHLY/weekly on demand vs being stuck in suburbia.

No time to complain about the traffic at montgomery mall when you globe hopping. 100kaires cannot afford that lifestyle - only a range rover and maybe a mcmansion if they score the right financing -- and they know it.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:09 AM

5,944 posts, read 9,988,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post

Or anyplace in general. I think the key here is that affluence ≠ happiness. There are plenty of issues that have little to do with money/wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland