Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,462 times

Advertisements

It would be interesting to know how many of in this group represented PG County and what efforts are being made to market the county to these countries. We definitely have several key developments that could house an International HQ like the one that is moving to Rockville.

Quote:
O’Malley (D) and a group of 30 business and education leaders on Sunday began
a nine-day trade mission to Brazil that aims to strengthen the trade
relationship between the two nations. He also will stop by El Salvador, which
has strong cultural ties to Maryland.

Previous trade missions by the O’Malley administration have secured millions
in investment, Karen Glenn Hood, a spokeswoman for the Department of Business
and Economic Development, said.
O’Malley’s Brazil trip aims to grow ties between Maryland, Latin America -- Gazette.Net

Quote:
An investment business formed by Brazil’s largest pharmaceutical company has
opened its U.S. headquarters in Rockville and plans to invest $200 million in
operations, state officials said Tuesday
Brazilian investment firm opens U.S. base in Rockville -- Gazette.Net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 09:18 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
They sent a delegation last year. I don't think anything worth mentioning came out of it though. But face-time is good nevertheless. Puts you on the radar.

Prince George’s businesses explore Brazilian opportunities -- Gazette.Net

Old 12-06-2013, 12:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
He also will stop by El Salvador, which has strong cultural ties to Maryland.

I know what the strong cultural ties are - most illegals in our area are from there. the question is, why are they coming here?

Sure, this is Wiki but many other sources will cite the same. Notice where the greatest population of immigrants are.

El Salvador

Old 12-08-2013, 08:54 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
I notice that Maryland is lacking the Caribbean(Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and Cuba) Latin population in which they need to work on attracting especially to the DC/Maryland Region...

Old 12-09-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
They sent a delegation last year. I don't think anything worth mentioning came out of it though. But face-time is good nevertheless. Puts you on the radar.

Prince George’s businesses explore Brazilian opportunities -- Gazette.Net
That type of exposure definitely puts a jurisdiction on notice. Brazil and other countries are very motivated right now to do business with US states, counties, etc. That said PG should be really aggressive with establishing a partnership with countries having a natural link to its residents and educating local businesses on how to do business abroad. I am sure they would get a lot of support from the state/Feds since the National Export Initiative it a big program and will probably continue to be going forward.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
I notice that Maryland is lacking the Caribbean(Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and Cuba) Latin population in which they need to work on attracting especially to the DC/Maryland Region...
Do those groups migrate to this area in mass? I have a few friends from those countries but most of their families are based in FL and NY. I don't know why that is the case but that is what I have noticed.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:03 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Is hoping they kidnap him for some reason too much to ask for?

Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Meh. O'Malley is lacking in foreign policy credentials for his 2016 Presidential run. That's what this is about. Next thing we know, he'll be off to Israel to "strengthen business ties" there.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 PM

580 posts, read 777,236 times
Brazil has their own financial problems; most of their large multi-nationals are commodity based (oil - Petrobras, iron - Vale, pork/meat - JBS, lots of industrial farming with corn, soy, and sugar cane) and have not had great luck with the financial downturn with decreased demand from China and SE Asia. Really doubt that the MD delegation will have any luck luring mining, gas exploration, or farming with the environmental regulation we have.

Would hazard a guess that the MD delegation is enjoying the summer weather on a taxpayer-paid junket.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:14 PM

304 posts, read 713,750 times
More pandering to the critical latin american vote, so he can get the votes from those who support illegal immigration. Pathetic. I swear on everything, let this asshat run for presidency and the democrats choose him to go up for the vote. I will vote republican for the very first time in my life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland