Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:49 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
You aren't reading what I said. I never said PG is poor. I said it is the poorest in the region. One is an absolute statement and the other is relative.
Did you think about what you said before you wrote it? You don't call something poorest (by an inaccurate comparison), then say it's not poor. You're getting tripped up by your own semantics.

Your relative comparison was inaccurate. You're comparing like objects and treating them as if they are opposites. Wealthy vs poor.

You wouldn't say that a person who is 6'9" is short compared to a person who is 7'2". The two are relatively tall compared to each other. Even though one person is comparatively shorter, it doesn't mean they are short. Get it? I even gave the example of billionaires. To say Bill Gates is poor because he only has a $30 Billion net worth compared to Warren Buffet who has $40 Billion. Both are relatively wealthy. Because Bill has $10 Billion less doesn't mean he's poor, only less wealthy than Warren by comparison.

The county is either poor or it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 01:56 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Did you see the list of counties and their income? How is the former not true? What county in the DC region is poorer than PG?
Dude, your use of the words poorer and poorest is the issue. Something that is poorer than it's neighbor means, in English at least, that those other neighbors it is compared to are also poor. Poor, poorer, poorest. Since neither county in the region is poor, your use of the words poorer/poorest are misleading. Did you have your coffee today?

Old 12-12-2013, 02:08 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Did you think about what you said before you wrote it? You don't call something poorest (by an inaccurate comparison), then say it's not poor. You're getting tripped up by your own semantics.

Your relative comparison was inaccurate. You're comparing like objects and treating them as if they are opposites. Wealthy vs poor.

You wouldn't say that a person who is 6'9" is short compared to a person who is 7'2". The two are relatively tall compared to each other. Even though one person is comparatively shorter, it doesn't mean they are short. Get it? I even gave the example of billionaires. To say Bill Gates is poor because he only has a $30 Billion net worth compared to Warren Buffet who has $40 Billion. Both are relatively wealthy. Because Bill has $10 Billion less doesn't mean he's poor, only less wealthy than Warren by comparison.

Your understanding of the concept of relative is baffling.

So does that mean it's wrong to call PG the 'wealthiest' black county?

Old 12-12-2013, 02:21 PM

21 posts, read 25,237 times
Quote:

EXACTLY...thank goodness somebody understands

Old 12-12-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:

I agree with this... But it is a wealthy county regardless of its racial demographics PERIOD

Old 12-12-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Stop trying to justify calling it POOR

Old 12-12-2013, 02:28 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
Quote:
By Median Income from the US Census in 2011 (which is the last time this data is accurately assessed)
Loudoun County $119,134
Fairfax County $105,797
Arlington County $100,735
Howard County $98,953
Prince William County $95,146
Fauquier County $93,762
Montgomery County $92,909
Charles County $91,733
Stafford County $91,348
Calvert County $89,393
Anne Arundel County $84,138
St. Mary's County $81,657
Spotsylvania County $76,475
Prince George's County $70,715

PROOF:

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/thread
PG County is a lot larger than most of those counties except Moco and Fairfax. I'm not sure it's fair to compare a county of over 800,000 to one with 150,000.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Dude, your use of the words poorer and poorest is the issue. Something that is poorer than it's neighbor means, in English at least, that those other neighbors it is compared to are also poor. Poor, poorer, poorest. Since neither county in the region is poor, your use of the words poorer/poorest are misleading. Did you have your coffee today?
Wow just wow.

Let me break this down for you with a couple of examples of why what you are saying is wrong.

Example #1
My daughter is taller than the other kids in her preschool class
Reality: She is the tallest student in the class.
Your logic: She is the least shortest because she's not actually tall.

Example #2
NBA Player John Lucas III is 5'11" and is shorter than all his teammates. On most NBA teams he's shorter than everyone on the team.
Reality: He's the shortest player on his team.
Your logic: He's the least tallest because outside of basketball he would be considered average height for a man, therefore he can't be short.

Example #3
There is a man in a third world country that has about twenty American dollars and has more money than anyone in his country.
Reality: He is the wealthiest man in his country.
Your logic: He is the least poorest man in the country because compared to the rest of the world he has nothing, even though he could buy practically anything he wants in his home country.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
PG County is a lot larger than most of those counties except Moco and Fairfax. I'm not sure it's fair to compare a county of over 800,000 to one with 150,000.
It's only being compared because they are in the same region. It's not a negative thing to have a lower income, it's just a fact. I'm sorry. Some would say it's a good thing because PG has a more diverse socio economic makeup which attracts all different levels of incomes and ethnicities.

Either way, you are not denying what I'm saying to be untrue, and that's all that should matter. What you bring up after that is just a red herring argument.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivery View Post
Stop trying to justify calling it POOR
Show me where I said that PG was poor, in an absolute form. I used a qualifier in describing it as being poorer, and that was saying compared to other counties in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland