Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:24 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Nooooo, DC isn't a county, but does it have to be? Hmmm...

Wealthiest could very well be inappropriate depending upon the factors used.
You are arguing just to argue. Why would I compare a city to a county?

When using that moniker the median income is almost always used.

This is ridiculous. People know that they are wrong and keep asking more questions to try to find something wrong. We have gotten away from what the original point was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 03:35 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,560,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Look at what NBP said.

You aren't arguing facts, you are arguing semantics. Semantics that have the same meaning. The problem with what you are saying is you don't understand what relative is. Another poster had the same issue with you.

You are not proving what I am saying is wrong you just don't like how I worded what I said.
If that's what helps you sleep at night.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:41 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,211 times
North Beach Person, first, I'm not saying you were referring to me. You make a good point in that the terms are often used synonymously. Except income is just income. My point in this discussion is that a list of median incomes does not point directly to a conclusion that one county is poorer or richer than another. PG could very well be the least affluent, but I don't think a list of median incomes is sufficient justification of such. If I am locked in a battle of semantics, then I am about to disengage myself and go home, lol.

The links below may be helpful:

Affluence - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary: abundance of property, material possessions.

Wealth - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary: abundance of valuable material possessions or money/resources.

Rich - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary: having a lot or money and possessions.

Poor - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary: having little money or material possessions.

Income - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary: money earned from work, business, investments.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:43 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
You are arguing just to argue. Why would I compare a city to a county?

When using that moniker the median income is almost always used.

This is ridiculous. People know that they are wrong and keep asking more questions to try to find something wrong. We have gotten away from what the original point was.
Oh good Lord. Cities and counties are compared all the time. What difference does that make?

Old 12-12-2013, 03:49 PM

46 posts, read 72,920 times
Why is it the "wealth" definition is questioned when it concerns blacks...are blacks not allowed to be wealthy or something???

Old 12-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Oh good Lord. Cities and counties are compared all the time. What difference does that make?
Because my statement said "poorest COUNTY in the region". Is DC a county? Notice I didn't list Alexandria either?

Old 12-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
North Beach Person, first, I'm not saying you were referring to me. You make a good point in that the terms are often used synonymously. Except income is just income. My point in this discussion is that a list of median incomes does not point directly to a conclusion that one county is poorer or richer than another. PG could very well be the least affluent, but I don't think a list of median incomes is sufficient justification of such. If I am locked in a battle of semantics, then I am about to disengage myself and go home, lol.

The links below may be helpful:

Affluence - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary: abundance of property, material possessions.

Wealth - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary: abundance of valuable material possessions or money/resources.

Rich - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary: having a lot or money and possessions.

Poor - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary: having little money or material possessions.

Income - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary: money earned from work, business, investments.
I absolutely agree with you but I haven't seen you argue that same point when people say PG is the wealthiest black county. Can we be at least impartial about that?

I think income alone does not determine wealth, but that is the terminology used. The list even says "wealthiest counties in the US".

Old 12-12-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Since this has become a circular firing squad I really don't have anything to add, just wanted to post something.

Least affluent instead of poorest?

In 1960 Calvert was the poorest (least affluent) County in MD.
But remember there are people in Africa who can't even get water so how can we call Calvert County poor when they at least had running water?

Calvert County was not poor so we can't use poorest.

**sarcasm**

Old 12-12-2013, 04:06 PM

46 posts, read 72,920 times
Default I will say again

Why is it the "wealth" definition is questioned when it concerns blacks...are blacks not allowed to be wealthy or something???

P.G county was recently ranked 69 wealthiest county out of 3,141 counties and county equivilants in the U.S. why must its "wealth" which is constantly challenged be limited to the d.c area and not compared to the nations other 3,072 as a whole. I feel like people compare it to its peer counties to justify calling it poor. Because let's be honest here if it where a white majority county this wouldn't even be a argument. Also I would like to state why does its racial make up matter. It's wealthy in general. End of thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWS08 View Post

P.G county was recently ranked 69 wealthiest county out of 3,141 counties and county equivilants in the U.S. why must its "wealth" which is constantly challenged be limited to the d.c area and not compared to the nations other 3,072 as a whole. I feel like people compare it to its peer counties to justify calling it poor. Because let's be honest here if it where a white majority county this wouldn't even be a argument. Also I would like to state why does its racial make up matter. It's weakthy in general. End of thread
That makes no sense. So you assume because I make that argument that I am only doing it because it's black county? How do you even prove that?

Who said PG was poor?

Let me ask you if everyone in your family is 6 feet tall or above, would you say the person shorter than everyone else is the shortest in your family or least tallest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland