Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 06:31 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Wow. Just sad. Something I would never expect in that area. There is probably not a much the county can do to influence who's moving there either I would assume.
The county could restrict the number of section 8 vouchers accepted in the county. Although it can't be done using categories that discriminate based on race, gender, orientation etc. They could implement certain minimum requirements based of financial background like credit check, checking and savings account requirements, and minimum security deposit requirements. They could also require criminal background checks that could create limitations. As long as it is applied equitably there should not be an issue. Its been done in other areas so I am sure it could be done here.

Last edited by UrbanScholar; 12-14-2013 at 06:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 07:57 AM

631 posts, read 1,396,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Wow. Just sad. Something I would never expect in that area. There is probably not a much the county can do to influence who's moving there either I would assume.
Unfortunately no... Especially since most Levitt Style neighborhoods have no HOA. The city cant do anything about it... The only Levitt Style neighborhood I know with an Association is the Montpelier Community in Laurel as I have friends there and one sits on the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
The county could restrict the number of section 8 vouchers accepted in the county. Although it can't be done using categories that discriminate based on race, gender, orientation etc. They could implement certain minimum requirements based of financial background like credit check, checking and savings account requirements, and minimum security deposit requirements. They could also require criminal background checks that could create limitations. As long as it is applied equitably there should not be an issue. Its been done in other areas so I am sure it could be done here.
The county could, but it would be a bunch of Red Tape and we know how this county is with Red Tape.. The county would probably look into something similar to MPDU program in MoCo..

Another Angle would be with the apartments, have the Mgmt Companies reject vouchers.. I know when I looked at Governor's Green, the first question was "Will you be using a Voucher Program??" followed by "If so how much??" I immediately was turned off b/c I dont want to live where there are vouchers and just because I am a young black male doesnt mean I automatically get a voucher...I actually can afford to rent...

Another option would be development..Look at Laurel.. Most of their apartments are actually increasing in price due to the construction all over the city (ICC, LTC, BRAC @ Ft. Meade). Also some apartment complexes such as the ones on Contee and 197 were bought out by new mgmt and are declining vouchers... so the families have to move out once the lease is up and they cant go anywhere else in Laurel due to rental market increasing... they experience being priced out... So they go to Greenbelt, Hyattsville, and now Bowie.... since they can take the voucher and get an apartment or a SFH..

Last edited by EducatedBro82; 12-14-2013 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 10:12 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
with the type of job, I come in contact with offenders everyday... The Bowie City Police and Prince George's County Police have both said what the more crime areas of Bowie are.

Pointer Ridge is in South Bowie (Zip code 20716). South Bowie has a reputation of having the most crime in Bowie... next is Old Bowie... then Belair Town, near Bowie HS...

The reason why Pointer Ridge and Mostly South Bowie is more crime ridden is due to a couple of things...

1 is the Bus/Metro system... the "C" line which runs up and down Central Avenue has a bus stop in Pointer Ridge which give access into Bowie.. from there u can get anywhere in the town..

2 is the residents... the Townhomes in Pointer RIdge (Collington RIdge) are mostly rented to Voucher/Section 8 families... Similar to Princeton Square by Benjamin Tasker.... same goes to the LEvitt Style SFHs around Pointer RIdge... and the Apartments.. (Governors Green has a lot of calls, so does Meridian (dont let the gated community fool you) also the Covington Condos are section 8 holders also..followed by the "N" section where the townhomes and homes near BTC are as well.

Also South Bowie fell victim to more foreclosures or "HUD saved my house" aka Im losing my home, go to HUD and get a voucher and family to pay my mortgage while I move to Howard, Charles or AA County...This is somewhat true over in Mitchellville (20721)

The school, Pointer Ridge Elem is ranked the lowest/worst in the city I think it has either a 3 or 4 followed by Northview... Both are in South Bowie...I dont want to be "that guy" but demographics does play somewhat a role...

I could easily find a ncie Levitt Style home or Townhome for around $150-$175k but I dont want to deal with the riff raff and my proabtioners as neighbors...
Accurate assessment. A former coworker of mine was excited about moving to the P section about 8 yrs ago. He purchased from an elderly couple and said they represented the makeup of the whole neighborhood. I wonder how he feels now. At the time, I figured the older folks were leaving and the area would change.

So Pointer Ridge Elementary is even lower than Highbridge? Wow.

Have you looked in Mitchellville East? And the A section? They were nice areas when I was looking, but that was several years ago. In another part of town, Fairview Manor is nice.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:28 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
2) "Highy quality retailers" is pure hogwash. If one has any doubts, take a look at The Boulevard at The Capital Center" where "high quality retailers" lasted all of a couple years before closing up shop and leaving and relegating the Center to not much more than a thugs playground full of crime and shootings.
Two totally different neighborhoods.

Quote:
3) Wal-mart hardly ever closes a store and abandons a city.
They just abandon neighborhood shopping centers. Still has a negative affect.

Quote:
4) Black people love Wal-mart. Why deprive them of what they like?
Not this black person. And not every neighborhood has an alternative like Target.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Walmart can not expand the current Bowie store because where would they build it??? One side is the road, Excalibur Road the other side of it is the Plaza... There is absolutely NO ROOM to expand the store... they would have to build off site... That little bit of Parking space inbetween Walmart and the PLaza isnt enough to fit in everything...

Laurel was able to expand its WalMart store due to the fact it sits on acres of land... there is not Plaza or shopping Center over there.. Just Walmart and Sams Club...

Target could expand due to the fact of its location... they was actaul space on the side of its store.
What I don't understand is why they can't build up? Are two-story Wal-Marts impossible for some reason?

Old 12-14-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
The reason why Pointer Ridge and Mostly South Bowie is more crime ridden is due to a couple of things...

1 is the Bus/Metro system... the "C" line which runs up and down Central Avenue has a bus stop in Pointer Ridge which give access into Bowie.. from there u can get anywhere in the town..
This has already been disproven in other threads and studies that metro access does not increase crime for a neighborhood.

Transit Stations May Actually Cut Down on Crime - Eric Jaffe - The Atlantic Cities

I thought criminals took transit? - Greater Greater Washington

Quote:
Will transit bring crime to my neighborhood? No. You are just as safe having a transit stop near your house as you are having a road in front of it. Studies show that there is virtually no change in crime rate after a transit station is built.
TransitFacts.com [The Truth of Mass Transit

Quote:
“People are convinced that if you put a subway station out in the suburbs, out in Dunwoody, that criminals are going to commute from downtown out there,” he says. “Apparently they’re going to steal their TVs, get back on MARTA and go back in. But criminals just do not travel – that’s the hardest perception to get people to break.

Criminals are actually more likely to commit crimes in areas closer to home, places that they know well. And this makes common sense: Why would you mug an old lady in an area where you don’t have a good escape plan?
The Myth of the Commuting Criminal - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

Quote:
The school, Pointer Ridge Elem is ranked the lowest/worst in the city I think it has either a 3 or 4 followed by Northview... Both are in South Bowie...I dont want to be "that guy" but demographics does play somewhat a role...
Somehow I fail to see how a low performing school creates more crime. Got any studies to show that? Not one where they say the school is in a high crime area, but show me where a school actually creates an environment for crime. Not saying I disagree, but I need to see some hard evidence of that.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:03 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
And we are 2 pages in and the thread has to mention a certain ignorant stereotypical race... ALL RACES LOVE WALMART

The post commented on said blacks love Walmart. How does this tie in? Are blacks 'a certain ignorant stereotypical race' as posted here?

Old 12-14-2013, 12:11 PM

712 posts, read 1,093,044 times
Some of you have made good points about the possibility of Walmart moving to Crofton if they can't build a new store in Bowie. I never really thought about that scenario. If that is an option, then I would definitely want them to be able to build a new store in Bowie. But my concern about the current property being an abandoned eyesore would still remain. I can't think of any business that would be willing to move into a store of that size in Bowie. I would hate for that business complex to turn into a retail ghost town. But maybe since Walmart would be just across the street, those businesses wouldn't really suffer as they would if Walmart moved elsewhere?

Old 12-14-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The post commented on said blacks love Walmart. How does this tie in? Are blacks 'a certain ignorant stereotypical race' as posted here?

Singling out a particular race was unnecessary. If every race shops at wal-mart, why were blacks used as an example? People shop for convenience, not by race. If you go to a majority white area, you will find a majority of white shoppers in Wal-Mart. There's a Target at PG Plaza. Target is comparatively more expensive than Wal-Mart. Could we say that black people also love Target? What if there were a Kohls, etc.? People love convenience. It's not about race. He could've left that comment out.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:57 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Singling out a particular race was unnecessary. If every race shops at wal-mart, why were blacks used as an example? People shop for convenience, not by race. If you go to a majority white area, you will find a majority of white shoppers in Wal-Mart. There's a Target at PG Plaza. Target is comparatively more expensive than Wal-Mart. Could we say that black people also love Target? What if there were a Kohls, etc.? People love convenience. It's not about race. He could've left that comment out.
Thank you for coming to my defense... took the words out my mouth

Quote:
This has already been disproven in other threads and studies that metro access does not increase crime for a neighborhood.

Transit Stations May Actually Cut Down on Crime - Eric Jaffe - The Atlantic Cities

I thought criminals took transit? - Greater Greater Washington

TransitFacts.com [The Truth of Mass Transit

The Myth of the Commuting Criminal - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

Somehow I fail to see how a low performing school creates more crime. Got any studies to show that? Not one where they say the school is in a high crime area, but show me where a school actually creates an environment for crime. Not saying I disagree, but I need to see some hard evidence of that.
Oh no that wasnt to compare the crime in Bowie... That was to show the demographics of the neighborhood.... which is what I stated a couple posts ago that I didnt want to be "that guy" talking about race.

Quote:
What I don't understand is why they can't build up? Are two-story Wal-Marts impossible for some reason?
They could possibly build up... Kohls in Bowie in 2 floors. However, I dont think that is the concept they would like to go to. Especially in that type of area where there it is mostly residential. May have to look at the Environmental control, Noise reduction, traffic, and appearance... sounds corny, but something u have to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland