Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 02:25 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
It's clear that DC needed Walmart. They are gonna rake in the cash!
Off the backs of Suburban Maryland tax payers from Eastern Montgomery County and Hyattsville.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Wal-Mart usually does well when there is a lack of low-end retail diversity in a demographic area that looks for the type of pricing and quality Wal-Mart offers. In some affluent areas, Wal-Mart may do well in groceries, sundries, and electronics, but I doubt people would take interest in their clothes and furniture; items affluent or middle-class individuals usually desire quality in. Personally, I don't care for Wal-Mart's quality of products. I have the choice to shop elsewhere. I imagine most people in that area don't care for Wal-Mart's quality either and would rather have something more upscale like a Target or Kohls.

By the way, there is already a Target in Bowie and Crofton. So, the idea may be there is already a preferred department store in those areas. Adding a Wal-Mart would be overkill?
But yet you have no problem with DC adding 6 Wal-Marts including two of them being Super Wal-Marts.......

Old 12-29-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I don't know, but there is also a Kmart in Crofton.
Thats Irrelevant because K-Mart is not anywhere near on the same level as Wal-Mart.....

Old 12-29-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
First time I've ever seen Target or Kohl's described as "upscale".
THat person is very thirsty to make sure that there are no more Wal-Marts being built in the Maryland Suburbs while DC builds 6 New Wal-Marts and a New Super Wal-Mart in Alexandria, VA.........

Old 12-29-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Hmmm. Didn't know that. There are three targets within 4 miles of me with no Wal-Mart in sight.

Beltway Plaza
PG Plaza
Silver Spring (Cherry Hill Rd)

Closest Wal-Mart to me is Landover Hills. Although the new urban style Wal-Mart soon to be completed at Ft. Totten in DC would then be the closest.
And just that idea of most Suburban Maryland Tax Payers inside the Beltway flooding the 6 Wal-Marts being built in DC which means decreasing economic Growth for Inner Suburban PG County and Lower Eastern Montgomery County really excites you.....

Old 12-29-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
I guess I mean more in suburban areas... If that makes sense... ie, Columbia, Laurel, Bowie, Waldorf, Salisbury, there are even both in Easton. I
No it does not make sense when your list includes areas that are not part of the Maryland/DC Suburbs...

Old 12-29-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones16 View Post
I think we are forgetting many of our stores are moving to crofton it gets me when people always have opposition over bringing jobs and revenue to their own County even if you don't shop at Walmart other people do why should we have to drive outside the county instead of being able to have these choices in our own neighborhood.
Its very simple.... Those people that are opposing are doing so because they do not reside or pay taxes in the Maryland Suburbs or anywhere in the state of Maryland.... Keep in mind that this attitude does not exist in Northern Virginia or DC.....

Old 12-29-2013, 09:17 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
I think I just read in this week's local paper that Bowie City Council APPROVED having the new Walmart Supercenter.

I'm sure someone will confirm or correct this. I'll double check, too.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Thats Irrelevant because K-Mart is not anywhere near on the same level as Wal-Mart.....
Well, no. The KMart, at least in Crofton, is better. Neat, clean, stuff still in the boxes and not broken. Variety of merchandise, customers who know how to act. Not many customers when I went, but hey. Now, if KMart added a grocery component, the stores would be a decent option. I think KMart needs better marketing. Much better.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:23 AM

631 posts, read 1,395,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
No it does not make sense when your list includes areas that are not part of the Maryland/DC Suburbs...
It does as I was using an example to locations of Walmart and their competitors....

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland