Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:27 AM

19 posts, read 38,799 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Wheaton-Glenmont neighborhood in January 2014 for work.

I've only driven through the area briefly while finding an apartment but couldn't seem to find any stores that look like they had a large selection of specialty and craft beers for sale. I'm a huge beer nerd and love trying new beers and creating my own 6-packs. I did intern in Washington, DC for 3 months during the summer of 2013 and lived in Hyattsville (close to UMD) and the places I did find that sold beer in that area only sold the basic mass-produced stuff and carried only the most popular craft beers (Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, etc).

Any info you can give and places you can recommend would be much appreciated! I would prefer the stores to be located close to where I will be moving, but if need be I am willing to travel anywhere around the DC metro area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,619 times
Here's the sad fact about MoCo - all alcohol distribution is done through the county and beer/wine/liquor stores buy it from them. They also add an extravagant mark up, particularly to "special order" (read: everything other than macro brews) alcohol. The result is a lot of small beer stores with crap selections.

The best I knew of when I lived there was Grape Expectations, but don't expect anything amazing. You could find a fair number of the larger micro brews' standard fare there, but generally not the seasonals.

I did notice that the situation has been improving, but because of the county run monopoly, you'll always pay 20-50% more than you would in VA, and get 1/8th of the selection.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:46 AM

19 posts, read 38,799 times
Thanks for the info! When I lived in Hyattsville, I did notice the price of even cheap macrobrews were significantly higher than anywhere I'd ever bought beer before, so I guess PG County has similar laws.

Do you know of any stores on the VA side of the area that offer a better selection?

Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,619 times
PG does not, but Maryland also has a 9% alcohol tax.

I don't know of any really good independent beer stores in VA, but there are a few Total Wines with above average beer selections.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:04 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamersk View Post
Do you know of any stores on the VA side of the area that offer a better selection?
Total Wine in McLean and Norm's in Vienna.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:49 AM

195 posts, read 473,557 times
For selection, you're probably having to head out of Montgomery County. Old Line in Beltsville (Old Line Wine Old Line Wine Spirits Beer and Bistro), Franklin's in Hyattsville (Franklin's Restaurant, Brewery & General Store), Town Center Market in Riverdale Park (Town Center Market | Craft Beer and Wine in the Heart of Riverdale Park), Crescent in Bowie (https://www.facebook.com/crescentbeerwine) all have a decent to good selection. The other option is just going straight to be brewery: DC Brau, Chocolate City, Atlas Brewing, 3 Stars in DC are all open Saturday afternoons for tours and tastings ...

Old 12-17-2013, 10:55 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,354 times
Gilly's in rockville has a good selection but is crazy expensive. The Perfect Pour in Columbia is fantastic but a little further out.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:04 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
There are a few of these in NOVA and they have killer selections. Looks like they want to open one in MD.

Total Beverage Maryland | Beer, wine super store is proposed 15,000-square-foot outlet would be largest in Maryland - Baltimore Sun

Old 12-17-2013, 02:16 PM

195 posts, read 473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
There are a few of these in NOVA and they have killer selections. Looks like they want to open one in MD.

Total Beverage Maryland | Beer, wine super store is proposed 15,000-square-foot outlet would be largest in Maryland - Baltimore Sun
They bought out Corridor Wine & Spirits in Laurel a year or two ago ...

Old 12-17-2013, 02:31 PM

12 posts, read 20,741 times
My Fiance and I love beer and recently moved to that area so I can help you! There is a store called Quench! just off of New Hampshire Ave and near the Randolph Road intersection. They also make great sandwiches and recently opened up a taproom that carries some really unique microbrews. They're constantly rotating them and you can take most of them home in a growler. Granted, it is montgomery county and you will have to buy a growler specifically from them. The owner is also really awesome and he will special order beers for you. They dont have the best make your own 6 pack selection and for that I would recommend Total Wine or Perfect Pour. Both those stores also have larger selections but Quench is fine when you don't feel like making a long trip. Quench! - Silver Spring, MD .We previously lived in North Bethesda very close to Gillys. I loved that store and wanted to support them but man they are super expensive! I went to Old Line in Beltsville once and was very impressed with their selection. I've been meaning to go back but it's just a bit too out of my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland