Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:21 AM

7,070 posts, read 9,492,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
There needs to be a sticky for race disparity postings until the government can figure things out.
That doesn't work. Individuals have to change. Why should the government be the entity that has to force programs on people to act fair? If people had moral integrity, there would be no need for civil rights laws. Correct?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:21 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,915,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The only way change can happen is for everyone, especially those in power and influence, to change their mentality when it comes to race and socioeconomic disparity. First, they have to accept the fact that things just aren't equal. Not for the lack of efforts of those at the bottom, but because the playing field was never level from the start. In other words, social change has to take place from top to bottom. That doesn't take a few years or even decades.

Second, those at the top have to understand that when everyone gets to participate in the success of the country, they would benefit more and those at the bottom would be better off than they are. This was evident in the golden era during the 50s when the middle class prospered the most providing great profits to companies. Imagine if blacks were able to participate as equals during that time.

I'm currently reading a book called, "The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future." by Joseph Stiglitz.

I have also read, "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration In The Age of Colorblindness" by Michelle Alexander which gives an interesting look at the history of institutional racism designed keep blacks as second-class citizens and now the new Jim Crow type systems can be seen in the prison system in how blacks are disproportionally incarcerated which severely impacts the prospects of gainful employment once released.
How do you change people's mentality? Especially when certain mindsets have been in place 200+ years.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you go to a TWI college? Don't you have an IT job? How were you able to make it?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:39 AM

377 posts, read 662,125 times
Beyond institutional racism...which is a system fault...at some point there is a cultural factor within the minority community of concern that needs fixed.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
How do you change people's mentality? Especially when certain mindsets have been in place 200+ years.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you go to a TWI college? Don't you have an IT job? How were you able to make it?
It isn't about "making it." It is about starting out and ending with on a level playing field. Of course we can pick and choose examples where people persevere against the odds. But the issue is that those man made odds shouldn't exist on top of the natural odds of life.

If you want to say that I "made it", that's fine, but am I being paid or promoted fairly compared to my white peers? ANd what about the 7 other black males like myself who haven't "made it." Why aren't there greater numbers of black people "making it?" We've had discussions about wealth disparities between black people in PG and white people in NoVa in how more whites hold greater wealth than wealthy blacks. Even though those blacks, "made it." Apparently they didn't "make it"" enough to be equal to their white peers. Why is that? Why is our "making it" still less than when whites "make it?"

Old 12-19-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
It isn't about "making it." It is about starting out and ending with on a level playing field. Of course we can pick and choose examples where people persevere against the odds. But the issue is that those man made odds shouldn't exist on top of the natural odds of life.

If you want to say that I "made it", that's fine, but am I being paid or promoted fairly compared to my white peers? ANd what about the 7 other black males like myself who haven't "made it." Why aren't there greater numbers of black people "making it?" We've had discussions about wealth disparities between black people in PG and white people in NoVa in how more whites hold greater wealth than wealthy blacks. Even though those blacks, "made it." Apparently they didn't "make it"" enough to be equal to their white peers. Why is that? Why is our "making it" still less than when whites "make it?"
Do believe that those other black people haven't 'made it' strictly because of institutional racism?

I asked you in the other thread, please post these studies you keep referencing.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Do believe that those other black people haven't 'made it' strictly because of institutional racism?

I asked you in the other thread, please post these studies you keep referencing.
Strictly? No. But how do you explain consistent inequality dating back to the birth of this nation? Are blacks just plainly inferior? Or was something else at play?

I post a reference in just about every post I make. Google is your friend as it is mine. I even provided books that cite tons of studies. How willing are you to do some research yourself to find out?

Old 12-19-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Strictly? No. But how do you explain consistent inequality dating back to the birth of this nation? Are blacks just plainly inferior? Or was something else at play?

I post a reference in just about every post I make. Google is your friend as it is mine. I even provided books that cite tons of studies. How willing are you to do some research yourself to find out?
Why are you being so rude? I asked a simple question. I can easily find studies to go with what I believe but the point was where are the studies that YOU are referencing? You said there was a study about how blacks get less pay then their white counterparts. I want to read the study that YOU are referencing.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Why are you being so rude? I asked a simple question. I can easily find studies to go with what I believe but the point was where are the studies that YOU are referencing? You said there was a study about how blacks get less pay then their white counterparts. I want to read the study that YOU are referencing.
First, this is a different thread. So I'm not even sure what you're referring to. Second, lighten up. I suggested Google if you want more sources than what I already provide.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
First, this is a different thread. So I'm not even sure what you're referring to. Second, lighten up. I suggested Google if you want more sources than what I already provide.
I am very aware of google, thank you. The study is extremely relevant to this thread because you keep making the same point that you made in the other thread which is, white employees get higher pay than blacks when all variables are equal. Again I can find any study but I want to know the one that YOU are referring to.

It's either you have the study or you don't guy.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I am very aware of google, thank you. The study is extremely relevant to this thread because you keep making the same point that you made in the other thread which is, white employees get higher pay than blacks when all variables are equal. Again I can find any study but I want to know the one that YOU are referring to.

It's either you have the study or you don't guy.

I thought that was common knowledge? I myself, after an audit, had my salary increased because of significant wage differences between my white peers. But if you insist, this is A study for your reading pleasure.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/dan131/Methods/...rimination.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland