Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 01:01 PM

254 posts, read 405,973 times

Advertisements

Thank you Slowlane, I will check those out :-)

I grew up in Cincinnati, so I'm always down for a good Octoberfest :-)

ETA: the Service Saturdays at Piscataway looks like something I would like to do :-)

Last edited by thesefourwalls; 12-20-2013 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: splleling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 01:11 PM

I hope I haven't come across as one of those lazy dipsh*ts that don't want to do the research and just want to be told 'where to live and where's the nearest Target'. I understand that no matter where we settle there will be trade offs and I really am interested to know what people enjoy about the whole region, whether it be nearish work or not :-) Or even in line with the interests I listed. Who knows? I may find something completely new and cool to me :-) I am determined to make this a positive experience!

Old 12-20-2013, 03:24 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
I like the weather in Fall and Spring, and I love the natural beauty of this area. It may not be California but dammit there are a lot of trees here and they're really something to look at, especially in the Spring or after a good snowfall.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I like the weather in Fall and Spring, and I love the natural beauty of this area. It may not be California but dammit there are a lot of trees here and they're really something to look at, especially in the Spring or after a good snowfall.
Cali Schmali! If I go west it would be the PNW b/c they have freaking rainforests! And trees that are OlderThanJesus, literally! :O

Speaking of the seasons, MD will be a whole 1 1/2 growing zones higher than where I am now. That translates to about an extra month or so of growing! Woot!

My hubby will be arriving in Feb, maybe I will make it there in time to see Spring, too :-)

Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 AM

137 posts, read 268,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesefourwalls View Post
It's happening, we are moving to MD. I've been stalking the forums for about a month or so now and I have a really firm idea of what everyone dislikes, LOL! But I don't want to read about the bad anymore, tell me what you like :-) I don't want to tell you too much about ourselves because I don't want our race or economic status to come into play. We don't have children at home so the school system is not an issue, please don't bring that argument here.

So. Now that I've endeared you all with my charming manner (tongue in cheek :-D) here's the important stuff: job is in Accokeek and we've looked at everywhere from Hyattsville to LaPlata. I feel we've been given a great opportunity and should make the most of it, which leads me to thinking we should live closer to DC and suck up the commute. Is that reasonable to think? Is there such a thing as a reverse commute in MD? We are early middle age and wanting to put down roots eventually, MD may or may not be the place. We still enjoy seeing an up and coming rock band from time to time. We like art museums and botanical conservatories. We also dig stage shows and art galleries .I love to cook and the more international groceries, the better! Our other hobbies include photography and taking my two little Terrier dogs out.

I can be happy being anonymous in a crowd and also be okay with chatting with my neighbors over the fence. Lay it on me.

I am so happy about how you specfically asked to be told something nice. Can we all believe how that changed this discussion? No more bashing neighborhoods based on who lived there and the words "avoid, avoid & avoid" are nonexistent.

I don't know but are we naturally inclined to be negative or is it our upbringing? Even Iraq, Afganistan, Chicago, Baltimore, black people, white peiople, green people, immigrant people, homeless people, etc have nice things that can be said about them.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:19 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesefourwalls View Post
Cali Schmali! If I go west it would be the PNW b/c they have freaking rainforests! And trees that are OlderThanJesus, literally! :O

Speaking of the seasons, MD will be a whole 1 1/2 growing zones higher than where I am now. That translates to about an extra month or so of growing! Woot!

My hubby will be arriving in Feb, maybe I will make it there in time to see Spring, too :-)
PNW would be awesome if it wasn't for the several months in a row of gray skies. I get in a poor mood when we just have a few days in a row of clouds... can't imagine it going on for weeks and weeks!

Old 12-22-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ1 View Post
I am so happy about how you specfically asked to be told something nice.

LOL! Well it's like this.........the ink is dry, it's gonna happen.......may as well go into it with a positive attitude and a few dates on our calendar

I was looking at the Sugarloaf Fair and the BarbYq Fest today, those both look fun. Of course as a big Triple Crown fan, there's the obvious. I already know how to pretend to muddle my way through the refrains of Maryland, My Maryland That's the big decision on the 3rd.....go to BBQ or watch Kentucky Derby on TV.

Anyone wanna teach us to how catch and pick crabs? (Or is that just a stereotype )

Old 12-22-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I get in a poor mood when we just have a few days in a row of clouds... can't imagine it going on for weeks and weeks!

I feel ya there! I am looking forward to the longer growing season. Can I infer from your comment that MD has a good amount of sunshine? And Happy Solstice! The days only get longer from here

Old 12-23-2013, 07:12 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
I like my neighorhood! I love my garden! What's my favorite thing about Maryland? The fog! I have only been to a handful of US states, and Maryland is the 2nd most beautiful. I love that there is often fog here. It is really romantic.

I love my new chickens! They're so cute! I finally moved them out to their coop. And they're still alive! I like that, too.

I notice that my native honeysuckle has been semi evergreen. So I like...global warming!

I like native Maryland plants. Hmmm Ok something local...I like old bay! I have run out.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I love my new chickens! They're so cute! I finally moved them out to their coop. And they're still alive!
Yay for not dead chickens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland