Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:34 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Martin O'Malley was the least stupid in 2013 than he's been in his entire life.

There, I said something nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 10:41 AM

254 posts, read 406,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Martin O'Malley was the least stupid in 2013 than he's been in his entire life.

There, I said something nice!
LMAO! That's the spirit!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:21 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,450 times
thesefourwalls,

Don't let the horrible negativity on these forums bother you. Just remember that people who post on internet forums aren't necessarily representative of the general population, and that the anonymity of the internet tends to encourage stridency and rudeness that people would be embarrassed to display face-to-face.

There's a lot to like in Maryland. The DC suburbs have access to the urban and cultural life of DC, but Baltimore has a lot to offer, too. Although some people on this forum make Baltimore sound like Fallujah, things like the American Visionary Art Museum and the Walters are very worthwhile. If you like boats, Annapolis is one of the boating hotspots of America and "Ego Alley" is not to be missed. Several parts of Maryland, particularly the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland have very distinct cultures. I highly recommend the Eastern Shore for quaint towns. The Eastern Shore is also still a great destination for waterfowl hunting. Even if you're not a hunter, the Waterfowl Festival in Easton is worth the trip every fall.

If you haven't decided where to live, I'll suggest that you consider earlier recommendations that you consider living close to your work. Being further away from the city will generally lower your housing cost, and getting into Washington DC won't be difficult if you're not trying to go during rush hour. Since you've mentioned that you own dogs and like gardening, I'd suggest you look at a property in the Moyaone Reserve. It has its quirks, and it is further than I'd want to commute every day, but might work very well for you. Where else in this area will you find 5+ acre wooded lots near the Potomac and protected from further development --all at a remarkably reasonable price? Someone else mentioned Fort Washington, particularly on the water. I'm in that area, but properties on the Potomac don't come on the market very often. There are usually properties available on the creeks just off the Potomac, though. One of the other nice things about living in this area is the wildlife. In my yard, I've seen Bald Eagles, Osprey, Hummingbirds, Owls, Woodpeckers, Groundhogs, Foxes, Coyotes, Box turtles, rabbits, (too many) deer, and more. My neighbors have seen a bobcat, beaver, muskrat, and and one claims to have seen otters. The Potomac has some problems, but it is pretty much a success story of the Clean Water Act. It has a strong recreational fishery. There are only a couple of farmer's markets (we often use the one in Old Town Alexandria), but there are farm stalls and Community Supported Agriculture farms. We buy organic beef and pork directly from a small organic producer just a few miles from our house.

This isn't to say that Maryland doesn't have problems. Everywhere has problems. I'd just say that I have worked in Washington DC off and on for years, and have lived in DC, Virginia, and Maryland. When I came back this time, I looked in all three areas and chose Maryland because I felt it offered more of the things I wanted. The things my area doesn't have were either less important to me, or things I could address. I really don't think there's a "best" place to live. What's "best" for you depends on your needs and preferences and nobody else's. That said, my family and I love our life in Maryland.

Wherever you wind up, I hope you find a home and neighborhood you love as much as I love mine.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:50 AM

254 posts, read 406,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
I really don't think there's a "best" place to live. What's "best" for you depends on your needs and preferences and nobody else's. That said, my family and I love our life in Maryland.
Oh, for sure! I have a feeling our decision will come down to the best kitchen for our money tempered by commute to his work and my drive to a place I'd like to get involved with which is on the the side of the City (of course )

You know, I really didn't mean for this to be another 'tell me where to live' thread, at the end of the drive only we can make that decision (although it is good to know that there are big cats in your area ) My intent was more to seek out those things/places/events that people who live there enjoy when they aren't pounding rocks for the man. The must sees, can't misses, oh hey check this outs and on the weekends we like toos. Combing the tourism sites, while a good start, only goes so far I mean, what do I do after I get an LOC reading room card, you know?

I appreciate your post, not only for the much needed pep talk, but especially for all the info offered in the spirit of my original intent of this post (which I admit I could have put a little more succinctly). Thank you for that! I've got some new things on my list to check out

P.S. Thank you for mentioning the farm stalls (love), CSAs and meats shares! I need to get on Local Harvest and see what comes up I'm hoping we find a place with the space to run a second freezer so we can take advantage!

Old 12-28-2013, 06:21 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
thesefourwalls,

Don't let the horrible negativity on these forums bother you. Just remember that people who post on internet forums aren't necessarily representative of the general population, and that the anonymity of the internet tends to encourage stridency and rudeness that people would be embarrassed to display face-to-face.

There's a lot to like in Maryland. The DC suburbs have access to the urban and cultural life of DC, but Baltimore has a lot to offer, too. Although some people on this forum make Baltimore sound like Fallujah, things like the American Visionary Art Museum and the Walters are very worthwhile. If you like boats, Annapolis is one of the boating hotspots of America and "Ego Alley" is not to be missed. Several parts of Maryland, particularly the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland have very distinct cultures. I highly recommend the Eastern Shore for quaint towns. The Eastern Shore is also still a great destination for waterfowl hunting. Even if you're not a hunter, the Waterfowl Festival in Easton is worth the trip every fall.

If you haven't decided where to live, I'll suggest that you consider earlier recommendations that you consider living close to your work. Being further away from the city will generally lower your housing cost, and getting into Washington DC won't be difficult if you're not trying to go during rush hour. Since you've mentioned that you own dogs and like gardening, I'd suggest you look at a property in the Moyaone Reserve. It has its quirks, and it is further than I'd want to commute every day, but might work very well for you. Where else in this area will you find 5+ acre wooded lots near the Potomac and protected from further development --all at a remarkably reasonable price? Someone else mentioned Fort Washington, particularly on the water. I'm in that area, but properties on the Potomac don't come on the market very often. There are usually properties available on the creeks just off the Potomac, though. One of the other nice things about living in this area is the wildlife. In my yard, I've seen Bald Eagles, Osprey, Hummingbirds, Owls, Woodpeckers, Groundhogs, Foxes, Coyotes, Box turtles, rabbits, (too many) deer, and more. My neighbors have seen a bobcat, beaver, muskrat, and and one claims to have seen otters. The Potomac has some problems, but it is pretty much a success story of the Clean Water Act. It has a strong recreational fishery. There are only a couple of farmer's markets (we often use the one in Old Town Alexandria), but there are farm stalls and Community Supported Agriculture farms. We buy organic beef and pork directly from a small organic producer just a few miles from our house.

This isn't to say that Maryland doesn't have problems. Everywhere has problems. I'd just say that I have worked in Washington DC off and on for years, and have lived in DC, Virginia, and Maryland. When I came back this time, I looked in all three areas and chose Maryland because I felt it offered more of the things I wanted. The things my area doesn't have were either less important to me, or things I could address. I really don't think there's a "best" place to live. What's "best" for you depends on your needs and preferences and nobody else's. That said, my family and I love our life in Maryland.

Wherever you wind up, I hope you find a home and neighborhood you love as much as I love mine.
Is the organic producer Hard Bargain Farm in Fort Washington? I discovered they sold poultry and beef there when I went on a school field trip with my child's school. Cool place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland