Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 PM

100 posts, read 154,612 times

Advertisements

Malls aren't dying, they've reinvented themselves. Look at the what Westfield is doing with Montgomery Mall: a whole new wing with what could be the best new movie theater in the area, top restaurants, bringing in new retail like the Microsoft Store and Tesla, etc.

Tysons did something similar several years back when they added their own new dining and movie wing. Malls are less about just shopping and more about creating experiences.

Tysons has the retail and office, so now they're adding residential. Apartment high rises are popping up next to the mall and in the surrounding office parks.

I've been wondering why downtown Bethesda has such problems filling office space, considering the highly educated population there, proximity to transit and restaurants, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 07:52 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat3 View Post

I've been wondering why downtown Bethesda has such problems filling office space, considering the highly educated population there, proximity to transit and restaurants, etc.
Price per square feet. Outer suburbs are often cheaper than the inner suburbs. Even if that outer suburb is affluent. Metro will equalize that to some degree. But an employer will always choose the cheaper option which is why Bethesda has vacancies. It will be interesting to see how the silver line affects these markets going forward.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 693,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat3 View Post
Malls aren't dying, they've reinvented themselves. Look at the what Westfield is doing with Montgomery Mall: a whole new wing with what could be the best new movie theater in the area, top restaurants, bringing in new retail like the Microsoft Store and Tesla, etc.

Tysons did something similar several years back when they added their own new dining and movie wing. Malls are less about just shopping and more about creating experiences.

Tysons has the retail and office, so now they're adding residential. Apartment high rises are popping up next to the mall and in the surrounding office parks.

I'm not seeing an off the charts vacancy rate in downtown Bethesda. Most of the big blocks seem to be filled in less than 10 months. Not great, but not that bad. In fact you would be hard pressed to find blocks of space 25,000sf and above. There is only one new development happening in Bethesda, that is 4500 East West Highway. So, such problems are overrated.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Price per square feet. Outer suburbs are often cheaper than the inner suburbs. Even if that outer suburb is affluent. Metro will equalize that to some degree. But an employer will always choose the cheaper option which is why Bethesda has vacancies. It will be interesting to see how the silver line affects these markets going forward.
Silver Line has already had an impact on Tysons. Two major office buildings going up, one for Interlsat. Also, several major high rise apartments either completed, going up or breaking ground.

New buildings in Bethesda do command $50+ per foot.....

Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 AM

What we are trying to do is create a district name that will be used for for business and marketing purposes, rather than address purposes. Just like we call parts of D.C. names like "Cleveland Park" or "Dupont Circle," we need an identifier for this new pocket of transit-oriented development. Redevelopment, as in areas like the U Street Corridor or the Mosaic District in Fairfax, naturally spawn a rebranding process -- people start to call the place something new. What we are not trying to do is change names of neighborhoods or mailing addresses - those will all remain the same. But, this sector is a more compact space than "North Bethesda" and it's outside the boundaries of the City of Rockville, so a comprehensive, research-based approach has been pursued to target this specific emerging urban district.

After seven years of debate on this issue, Streetsense, a local research and branding firm, has been engaged to help work through this process. They presented ten possible names that have been identified by their research as having potential sticking power (which, as evidenced by the fact that we all call this area something different, we have not yet found). Those names were: Market District, Metropolitan White Flint (those who preferred just White Flint were encouraged to note that when rating options), Pike District, Rockline, Rocksy, Quartz District, Slate District, The Stem, The Summit, and Uptown. There was also a big board available for write-ins.

I'm not sure I like any of these names for the "New" White Flint.....

Old 09-19-2014, 05:27 PM

490 posts, read 924,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
What we are trying to do is create a district name that will be used for for business and marketing purposes, rather than address purposes. Just like we call parts of D.C. names like "Cleveland Park" or "Dupont Circle," we need an identifier for this new pocket of transit-oriented development. Redevelopment, as in areas like the U Street Corridor or the Mosaic District in Fairfax, naturally spawn a rebranding process -- people start to call the place something new. What we are not trying to do is change names of neighborhoods or mailing addresses - those will all remain the same. But, this sector is a more compact space than "North Bethesda" and it's outside the boundaries of the City of Rockville, so a comprehensive, research-based approach has been pursued to target this specific emerging urban district.

After seven years of debate on this issue, Streetsense, a local research and branding firm, has been engaged to help work through this process. They presented ten possible names that have been identified by their research as having potential sticking power (which, as evidenced by the fact that we all call this area something different, we have not yet found). Those names were: Market District, Metropolitan White Flint (those who preferred just White Flint were encouraged to note that when rating options), Pike District, Rockline, Rocksy, Quartz District, Slate District, The Stem, The Summit, and Uptown. There was also a big board available for write-ins.

I'm not sure I like any of these names for the "New" White Flint.....
My favorite 3 are "Market District,"Rockline,"and "Uptown." Those names blends in with North Bethesda

Old 09-25-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
My favorite 3 are "Market District,"Rockline,"and "Uptown." Those names blends in with North Bethesda
DC already has an Uptown, which is the reason I don't like that name. I sort of dont understnd Rockline, but Market District is fine, although I'd never use that name. I'll go to my grave saying White Flint, just like I do with Montgomery Mall, whoops, Westfields.....

I'd go with Metro White Flint

Old 12-10-2014, 05:42 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
White Flint developers hope their new branding label of

looks like it will be called Pike District

Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
A ghost mall in White Flint (Photos) - WTOP.com

Old 12-11-2014, 12:48 PM

when is this thing coming down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland