Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:42 PM

712 posts, read 1,091,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
THis project has now got some legs. Construction could start in 2019 if all the requirements are met. Of course, there's the NIMBY factor. I've read where residents in Anne Arundel and Bowie oppose it. THat makes sense because the ROW goes right through their communities.

Something tells me this is going to get built. The only question is when.

B-W SCMaglev Project Home Page
The NIMBY factor was definitely necessary in this case. It was never clearly stated why some of the proposed routes cut through so many neighborhoods like they did. Two of the routes that would've cut through north Bowie neighborhoods, one being close to my home, and AA county neighborhoods were recently cut after many Bowie residents voiced opposition and had the support of Sen Doug Peters. Governor Hogan even paid a visit to Bowie City Hall a couple months ago and talked with the mayor and council to hear their concerns. There is still one more route that goes through north Bowie along the Amtrak/MARC lines which seems more reasonable from a Bowian perspective. However it still affects some AA county neighborhoods. I would still think either of the routes that go along the BW Parkway are the better options, especially if 295 is widened anytime soon. The work for both could be done at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 07:30 AM

Hmm, I just read this this morning. Maybe the proposed 295 routes aren't as ideal, especially the sections that are proposed to be tunnels.

Quote:
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) – taking a cue from the big splash, low information PR strategy of Elon Musk – tweeted Thursday that Musk’s Boring Company is going to build a Hyperloop tunnel from Baltimore to Washington.
Musk, the electric car pioneer and budding tunnel builder, said this summer that he had “verbal govt approval” to build one of his super-high-speed pod-and-tube transportation systems, known as a Hyperloop, that could make the trip from New York to Washington in 29 minutes. The system would work by shooting pods in vacuum-sealed tubes at high speeds.
The digging will start near Fort Meade, in Anne Arundel County, Mayer said. About 10 miles of tunnel will be under the state-owned portion of MD 295, the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, he said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1df4305eaed9

Old 10-20-2017, 07:52 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
Hmm, I just read this this morning. Maybe the proposed 295 routes aren't as ideal, especially the sections that are proposed to be tunnels.

Wait. What? Wow! So this is happening? I would think this would be bigger news than the Maglev. Like the article said, there are many questions.

ALso, I'm surprised that he's building tunnels in LA with all the active tectonic plates on the West Coast and such.

What's the point in Maglev if this is getting built? If MUsk is paying for it all, I'd go with the Hyperloop. Especially since it will be out of sight and won't face the wrath of NIMBYs.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:57 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:

When do they anticipate it opening? Between this and the Purple line road delays are going to be a beast

Old 10-20-2017, 11:18 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
The NIMBY factor was definitely necessary in this case. It was never clearly stated why some of the proposed routes cut through so many neighborhoods like they did. Two of the routes that would've cut through north Bowie neighborhoods, one being close to my home, and AA county neighborhoods were recently cut after many Bowie residents voiced opposition and had the support of Sen Doug Peters. Governor Hogan even paid a visit to Bowie City Hall a couple months ago and talked with the mayor and council to hear their concerns. There is still one more route that goes through north Bowie along the Amtrak/MARC lines which seems more reasonable from a Bowian perspective. However it still affects some AA county neighborhoods. I would still think either of the routes that go along the BW Parkway are the better options, especially if 295 is widened anytime soon. The work for both could be done at the same time.
i see a lot of 'against' signs around bowie.
STOP THIS TRAIN!

Old 10-20-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
When do they anticipate it opening? Between this and the Purple line road delays are going to be a beast
Who knows? There has been very little news about it. I suppose that since it is 100% underground, it doesn't have to pass all the regulatory red tape that an above ground system would? Also, it's privately funded. So, there are even less hoops to jump through.

I'm sure this caught everyone by surprise. They are actually starting to dig.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i see a lot of 'against' signs around bowie.
STOP THIS TRAIN!
Their opening statement has more questions than valid reasons to oppose it. THe widening of 295 will take homes. But I thought most of this train would be underground and the above ground portions would be elevated. Which begs the question, will it contend with the Hyperloop that is also underground and will run under 295? Wouldn't they have to rethink their ROW?

Old 10-20-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I haven't seen any anticipated open date yet. The work that they've started is only for the portion of 295 between MD 175 and the Baltimore city line. They still need federal approval to tunnel underneath the federally owned stretch of 295 and who knows how long that'll take. What complicates things is Gov Hogan wants MD to take ownership of that stretch of 295 in order to widen it. If that happens and Hogan streamlines the approval process for tunneling, then I would imagine the Purple Line would be near completion by the time the Hyperloop construction makes it way down there.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:31 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Their opening statement has more questions than valid reasons to oppose it. THe widening of 295 will take homes. But I thought most of this train would be underground and the above ground portions would be elevated. Which begs the question, will it contend with the Hyperloop that is also underground and will run under 295? Wouldn't they have to rethink their ROW?
i was wondering the same thing. i've been hearing maglev for a while, but the hyperloop? only in the past couple weeks.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:36 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
I haven't seen any anticipated open date yet. The work that they've started is only for the portion of 295 between MD 175 and the Baltimore city line. They still need federal approval to tunnel underneath the federally owned stretch of 295 and who knows how long that'll take. What complicates things is Gov Hogan wants MD to take ownership of that stretch of 295 in order to widen it. If that happens and Hogan streamlines the approval process for tunneling, then I would imagine the Purple Line would be near completion by the time the Hyperloop construction makes it way down there.
Hmmm interesting that they would choose to start without having approval for the federal section. That's risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland