Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:45 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
But I'm saying if a human cop pulls me over, he is testifying that he "saw/witnessed" me committing a crime
I should have the right to cross examine the accuracy of what the cop is attesting to, and have a judge decide based on the evidence

The camera itself can't testify to anything, since its a machine- those tickets don't even give you an option of having a court hearing, that has to be unconstitutional by itself, right?

It looks like you can request a hearing. Scroll down to about the middle of this link:

http://www.courts.state.md.us/legalhelp/traffic.html

Here is an interesting article:

Maryland Drivers Alliance: Take Action

In the case of a speed camera, it's a matter of evidence, not testimony. Admissible evidence. You can dispute the accuracy of that evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
It looks like you can request a hearing. Scroll down to about the middle of this link:

http://www.courts.state.md.us/legalhelp/traffic.html

Here is an interesting article:

Maryland Drivers Alliance: Take Action

In the case of a speed camera, it's a matter of evidence, not testimony. Admissible evidence. You can dispute the accuracy of that evidence.
thanks for that- I found this which maybe the "get out of jail free card"

f) The law states that you need notify the court *20 days before the trial* if you want to have the "operator" appear in court. This is right after the paragraph which says that the operator is not *required* to go to court. However, if you request the operator be present and they do not send the operator, you should ask the judge to dismiss the case on that basis.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The camera just records the violation. An actual Officer reviews the recording and issues the citation.
From what I have read, its more of an operator/technician than a law enforcement officer, as these cameras are owned and operate by private business, on contract by the local government-

Old 01-17-2014, 06:36 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
From what I have read, its more of an operator/technician than a law enforcement officer, as these cameras are owned and operate by private business, on contract by the local government-
I don't know where you read that, but I recall reading of a ticket that someone actually beat in court. It was a red light camera ticket that caught someone turning right on red. The Post article explained that it was an actual officer who reviews the evidence and issues citations. I'm not sure where to find the article now.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:53 AM

361 posts, read 725,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't know where you read that, but I recall reading of a ticket that someone actually beat in court. It was a red light camera ticket that caught someone turning right on red. The Post article explained that it was an actual officer who reviews the evidence and issues citations. I'm not sure where to find the article now.
Well, that ticket shouldn't have been issued to begin with, if he was turning right. I had the exact same situation happen to me and when I requested a court hearing, I received another letter dismissing the charges. So if the citation clearly shows that the car was turning right, then it shouldn't even have made it to court.

But to the point of this thread, I don't know how you can fight a camera' speeding or red light ticket. I guess You'll really have to prove that the machine wasn't properly working at the time and that it's not your car showing on camera..idk

Old 01-17-2014, 05:39 PM

299 posts, read 556,914 times
Default re: fighting a speed camera ticket

Yeah, the whole system is rigged in favor of easy revenue generation - not justice.

Honestly, that argument that you have the right to "face your accuser" in a trial is very true, but they instituted the work-around of assigning police officers to review the photos and sign off on the tickets as "witnesses" just to ensure justice is bypassed from that angle. (IMO, there's no way a cop reviewing a photograph taken well after the fact can be considered a true witness to the infraction. But our legal system seems willing to disregard that -- content that the cop signing off on the violation constitutes him or her being your accuser, not the camera.)

Not quite the same situation you're in here, but there's an interesting story of a teacher who successfully beat a ticket for running a stop sign using math skills:

Physics Buzz: Physicist Uses Math to Beat Traffic Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
Well, that ticket shouldn't have been issued to begin with, if he was turning right. I had the exact same situation happen to me and when I requested a court hearing, I received another letter dismissing the charges. So if the citation clearly shows that the car was turning right, then it shouldn't even have made it to court.

But to the point of this thread, I don't know how you can fight a camera' speeding or red light ticket. I guess You'll really have to prove that the machine wasn't properly working at the time and that it's not your car showing on camera..idk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland