Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 06:56 PM

299 posts, read 552,391 times

Advertisements

For month after month after month, I keep running into this character in downtown Bethesda, and I'm finally both curious and annoyed enough with him to ask if anyone else on here happens to know more about him!

The first time I ever ran into the guy, it was walking past Booeymonger. There's a little alley just past there, next to the real-estate place on the side of the Bethesda Crescent building, where he was standing. He's a white guy with a mustache, slender to average build, and usually wearing some kind of trenchcoat... I guess basically middle-aged, and has an accent. He stops everyone who passes, saying, "Pardon me... Can I ask?", until someone makes eye contact, and then proceeds to beg for a little money to help out.

After that, it seemed like I ran into him around the same place about every other time I walked that direction. Then he disappeared for a while. That's when I figured out he was also a regular in the Starbucks around the corner, across from the Round House Theater. Typically, when I've seen him in there, he's sitting at one of the front tables with a drink and a newspaper.

Today, I ran into him in the middle of the tunnel connecting the Crescent building to the escalators on the other side of Connecticut Ave. to the metro.

The thing is, this guy very well might be legitimately homeless.... but I have a tough time feeling any sympathy for him. Looks to me like he's content to get by each day doing the panhandling thing and bumming around places like Starbucks on other people's dime. Just doesn't seem like downtown Bethesda is a sensible place at all to try to better oneself, with the high cost of rent and relatively few jobs for someone lacking a lot of education/experience. Apparently, it IS good for convincing passers-by to part with spare change though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 AM

100 posts, read 153,668 times
I've run into this gent several times over the past 2-3 years on Wisconsin Avenue and around Bethesda Row. I'd be curious to find out what his story is.

Montgomery County has a big program where they're against panhandling:
Panhandling - Montgomery County, MD

The program doesn't "feel" right to me. To make such an effort to tell people not to give a few bucks to someone on the street.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 AM

5,102 posts, read 6,016,041 times
Sometimes panhandling is a job. I've heard that some locations are considered prime spots and the take is pretty good. Every now and then there is a story in teh paper about it. When I was working downtown I got used to seeing the same couple people in the same locations outside Gallery Place Metro station. They showed up before afternoon rush hour. Was always curious how much they took in and where they went but never had enough curiosity to pursue it.

I also know it is used as a cover for surveillance activity. Getting prepared for the role is tough for that. To be good you need to get the smell correct also :-))

Old 01-20-2014, 11:55 AM

490 posts, read 920,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Sometimes panhandling is a job. I've heard that some locations are considered prime spots and the take is pretty good. Every now and then there is a story in teh paper about it. When I was working downtown I got used to seeing the same couple people in the same locations outside Gallery Place Metro station. They showed up before afternoon rush hour. Was always curious how much they took in and where they went but never had enough curiosity to pursue it.

I also know it is used as a cover for surveillance activity. Getting prepared for the role is tough for that. To be good you need to get the smell correct also :-))

LOL it has to be a job because I see them all the time in Rockville (on the same corner every morning at the same time) they work a 9 to 5 just like me LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland