Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 05:04 PM

304 posts, read 714,614 times

Advertisements

Sigh. This goes to show how out-of-touch and stupid leadership in PG County can be. I attempted to go to the Hyattsville Library, this past Wednesday. This was around 1:30 in the afternoon. It looked like I was at the only library available in New York City! EVERY available parking space was taken. Cars were circling and re-circling around, looking for options. The popularity of the library has gotten so out-of-hand, that over-flow parking is provided in the PAID spaces in the garages for Regal Cinemas and the surrounding offices. That absurd! I'm not walking from a parking garage to a library AND paying to do so!

Even if you can manage to find a parking space at the library, once inside, you're still screwed because there's hardly enough space to accommodate the number of regular folks, college folk, and other students, who need to use the library for computer usage or to access the free WiFi. The library is so outdated, it doesn't even have sufficient power outlets to ensure most of not ALL patrons, will be able to plug-in their laptops. The network is also ridiculously slow. The few times I'm actually able to use the WiFi, I still end up leave far earlier than I had anticipated, because the network is so congested and slow, I can't get anything done!

I'm so sick of preservationists. We can't afford this B.S. in this area. Screw that ugly ass saucer that's totally unappealing and doesn't have any relevance in 2014! Hyattsville needed a large, MEGA-library, several years ago! Even before the new library in Downtown Silver Spring needed theirs. And the genius solution to a library that is bursting out of its seems, is to build a SMALLER library?? I was thinking the new facility would be larger than the Rockville Library and definitely the new Silver Spring library. But they want to down-size?? When we have a 900-student (or room??) college dorm high rise up the street, a mega-sized high school up the street, several other schools in-between, and a city population which is doubling by the month it seems? What's wrong with these idiots??
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 11:37 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,589,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
Sigh. This goes to show how out-of-touch and stupid leadership in PG County can be. I attempted to go to the Hyattsville Library, this past Wednesday. This was around 1:30 in the afternoon. It looked like I was at the only library available in New York City! EVERY available parking space was taken. Cars were circling and re-circling around, looking for options. The popularity of the library has gotten so out-of-hand, that over-flow parking is provided in the PAID spaces in the garages for Regal Cinemas and the surrounding offices. That absurd! I'm not walking from a parking garage to a library AND paying to do so!

Even if you can manage to find a parking space at the library, once inside, you're still screwed because there's hardly enough space to accommodate the number of regular folks, college folk, and other students, who need to use the library for computer usage or to access the free WiFi. The library is so outdated, it doesn't even have sufficient power outlets to ensure most of not ALL patrons, will be able to plug-in their laptops. The network is also ridiculously slow. The few times I'm actually able to use the WiFi, I still end up leave far earlier than I had anticipated, because the network is so congested and slow, I can't get anything done!

I'm so sick of preservationists. We can't afford this B.S. in this area. Screw that ugly ass saucer that's totally unappealing and doesn't have any relevance in 2014! Hyattsville needed a large, MEGA-library, several years ago! Even before the new library in Downtown Silver Spring needed theirs. And the genius solution to a library that is bursting out of its seems, is to build a SMALLER library?? I was thinking the new facility would be larger than the Rockville Library and definitely the new Silver Spring library. But they want to down-size?? When we have a 900-student (or room??) college dorm high rise up the street, a mega-sized high school up the street, several other schools in-between, and a city population which is doubling by the month it seems? What's wrong with these idiots??
They are having one more community meeting on the 16th of September at the library. I may attend.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:57 PM

Default Hyattsville Library Update

What a bold move by the Save Our Saucer group. Too bad they don't own the library. lol

Quote:
Save Our Saucer says it submitted an application for a historic site evaluation for the Hyattsville Library. According to documents from the Prince George’s County Historic Preservation Commission, a hearing on the site’s potential designation as historic was scheduled for September 16.

However, the hearing was promptly canceled. According to subtitle 29-120.01 of the Prince George’s County Code, only the owner of a historic property may file a petition for designation as a historic site with the Historic Preservation Commission.
Raise your hand if you think outdated 1964 style library architecture should be preserved! Keep the saucer, but ditch the building please.

Save Our Saucer requests historic evaluation of library | Hyattsville Life & Times

Old 08-20-2014, 02:46 PM

304 posts, read 714,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
What a bold move by the Save Our Saucer group. Too bad they don't own the library. lol

Raise your hand if you think outdated 1964 style library architecture should be preserved! Keep the saucer, but ditch the building please.

Save Our Saucer requests historic evaluation of library | Hyattsville Life & Times
These people really need to get a life. Preservationists, such as these, who expend so much energy into really trivial things like this, end up f*****g stuff up for everyone else! Hyattsville—and the surrounding area at-large—cannot afford this type of B.S.

I drove past both the new Silver Spring Library, under construction, and the Hyattsville Library, today. I just shook my head as I drove past the S.S. Library. This big, tall, grand, modern-looking structure that looks like it can serve all of Silver Spring, within itself. Then... I drive past rinky-dink Hyattsville Library, about 20-minute laster. Old, dilapidated, outdated, stupid ass saucer looking totally out-of-place in 2014, waaaaaaaaaay too small for the amount of residents the library serves, and the list of negatives continue. But, the genius planners for a new Hyattsville Library not only want to make it SMALLER, but they have to waste time with moron preservationists who want to try and incorporate a stupid ass, antiquated saucer structure into a modern library!

We cannot afford this type of nonsense! Hyattsville needed a new library like, several years ago! The new library needs to be AT LEAST 50% bigger than the Silver Spring Library, because the only nearest libraries to the Hyattsville location are Bladensburg, and then a few really, really, really small community libraries in-between. The only other really large library, is the Greenbelt facility, which is far away. When I can't even find a parking space at the library and/or I can't find a place to sit and plugin my laptop to use the internet at the same library, Houston... we have a problem! And the solution isn't entertaining cutesy ways of incorporating a meaningless structure into a new, modern facility, nor is it making the library SMALLER!

I'm going to attend this final meeting (I really hope my schedule permits) and I will sound off on these idiots. Part of why the new library is slated to be smaller, is mostly likely because of trying to find a way to save this stupid saucer! I can't tell you how many times I've stood or walked right under that damned saucer, and never gave it a first thought or a second glance! It's meaningless. Yes, it's kind of cool and nostalgic, but I'm more worried about a functional, practical library that I can actually use!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:12 AM

1,261 posts, read 697,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
These people really need to get a life. Preservationists, such as these, who expend so much energy into really trivial things like this, end up f*****g stuff up for everyone else! Hyattsville—and the surrounding area at-large—cannot afford this type of B.S.

I drove past both the new Silver Spring Library, under construction, and the Hyattsville Library, today. I just shook my head as I drove past the S.S. Library. This big, tall, grand, modern-looking structure that looks like it can serve all of Silver Spring, within itself. Then... I drive past rinky-dink Hyattsville Library, about 20-minute laster. Old, dilapidated, outdated, stupid ass saucer looking totally out-of-place in 2014, waaaaaaaaaay too small for the amount of residents the library serves, and the list of negatives continue. But, the genius planners for a new Hyattsville Library not only want to make it SMALLER, but they have to waste time with moron preservationists who want to try and incorporate a stupid ass, antiquated saucer structure into a modern library!

We cannot afford this type of nonsense! Hyattsville needed a new library like, several years ago! The new library needs to be AT LEAST 50% bigger than the Silver Spring Library, because the only nearest libraries to the Hyattsville location are Bladensburg, and then a few really, really, really small community libraries in-between. The only other really large library, is the Greenbelt facility, which is far away. When I can't even find a parking space at the library and/or I can't find a place to sit and plugin my laptop to use the internet at the same library, Houston... we have a problem! And the solution isn't entertaining cutesy ways of incorporating a meaningless structure into a new, modern facility, nor is it making the library SMALLER!

I'm going to attend this final meeting (I really hope my schedule permits) and I will sound off on these idiots. Part of why the new library is slated to be smaller, is mostly likely because of trying to find a way to save this stupid saucer! I can't tell you how many times I've stood or walked right under that damned saucer, and never gave it a first thought or a second glance! It's meaningless. Yes, it's kind of cool and nostalgic, but I'm more worried about a functional, practical library that I can actually use!

Okay, maybe a dumb question, but arent libraries being phased out to an extent? I havn't been in a libray in years. Yes, I know it depends on a lot of factors, demographics, etc., but I do see the ebook portion of public libraries really expanding their presence on the internet...

Also, it would be good to save the building or incorporate it into the new design. Sorry...otherwise we become LA, all the great architecture and history is gone.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 PM

605 posts, read 671,313 times
As someone with an architectural background I am pretty sure it would be relatively easy to incorporate the saucer into a much larger library. I don't see why that can't be accomplished?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
Okay, maybe a dumb question, but arent libraries being phased out to an extent? I havn't been in a libray in years. Yes, I know it depends on a lot of factors, demographics, etc., but I do see the ebook portion of public libraries really expanding their presence on the internet...

Also, it would be good to save the building or incorporate it into the new design. Sorry...otherwise we become LA, all the great architecture and history is gone.

Libraries can be great places of learning. Sort of like school annexes. They can also be alternate community centers and places where people can spend a quite day on a project of studying when their home is not conducive for such activities. Libraries will always be around.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:56 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,569,964 times
Quote:
Libraries can be great places of learning. Sort of like school annexes. They can also be alternate community centers and places where people can spend a quite day on a project of studying when their home is not conducive for such activities. Libraries will always be around.
+ 1. The library helped me get my son excited about learning.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:24 PM

They had the meeting with the architects last night. I couldn't go. I had a wedding to go to. But they went ahead with option C. The current library is said to have 25,000 sqft of usable space. The new library will have 35,000 sqft of usable space. That's about the size of the new Whole Foods in Riverdale.

Hyattsville’s flying saucer to relocate to garden -- Gazette.Net

Old 09-17-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
They had the meeting with the architects last night. I couldn't go. I had a wedding to go to. But they went ahead with option C. The current library is said to have 25,000 sqft of usable space. The new library will have 35,000 sqft of usable space. That's about the size of the new Whole Foods in Riverdale.

Hyattsville’s flying saucer to relocate to garden -- Gazette.Net

Here is the architect's presentation.

http://hyattsvillelife.com/wp-conten...ting-FINAL.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland