Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 12:23 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Blacks can't sustain a development of that size that's just the brutal truth.
A Racist comment especially if you are going to ignore the large number of African American populated High End Developed areas around Atlanta such as Atlantic Station and Buckhead....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM

712 posts, read 1,091,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
A Racist comment especially if you are going to ignore the large number of African American populated High End Developed areas around Atlanta such as Atlantic Station and Buckhead....

Old 08-13-2014, 11:24 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
I second that.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree. Look at what happened to Springfield Mall... White Flint... both were in an area that didn't have the majority as blacks, and they both folded. Gangs/sketchy types MAY had something to do with the degradation of the Blvd, but it was also economic and location issues, too. It's not all because of 'blacks.'

And, if that argument was to hold any water, Bowie Town Center, PG Plaza, and Laurel would've folded by now, too. (Well, technically, Laurel did fold, but they're resurrecting it in another form.)
Nothing you said disputed my original contention. I never said only Blacks lacked the ability to sustain a development that size.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:08 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
I don't know much about Atlanta. I do remember seeing the clip of the security guard that tasered this mother in a shopping center frequented by Blacks. Evidently this shopping center was nice back in the day, kind of like Iverson or Landover mall.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:07 PM

146 posts, read 449,174 times
I've got a question for y'all. Based on the photos I recently shared upthread, how would you think the Blvd looks, based on my pictures? Does it look ghetto, or just neglected? Nice? Does anything surprise you all? Very curious for your reactions to the photos.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:16 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
I've got a question for y'all. Based on the photos I recently shared upthread, how would you think the Blvd looks, based on my pictures? Does it look ghetto, or just neglected? Nice? Does anything surprise you all? Very curious for your reactions to the photos.

The pictures don't speak of any ghettoness or neglect. What I see in the pictures and how they were taken, is a dying shopping center. Much like any dying shopping center in the US. Why it is dying or appears that way is another matter.

University Town Center lost a lot of its retail after the recession as well. There are a lot of empty storefronts too. Though finally Safeway is being built as the anchor. But the property doesn't look ghetto or neglected. Just empty.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:29 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
I was around there probably about a month ago. Your pictures overall weren't that surprising except where the food places were. I don't think it was even that bad before when I went. I think it honestly looks more neglected than ghetto, but the directory picture for example and the dirt on the buildings, now that's just ghetto. Doesn't seem like there is any sense of pride with the shopping center.

I mean you expect businesses to close. They unfortunately had a few businesses like Circuit City, Linen's N' Things, Borders and Uno's that either went out of business or downsized so empty store front seem some what understandable. What just doesn't make sense is that they aren't doing anything to seemingly attract businesses to want to stay. It kind has that Iverson Mall vibe where it's almost as if they don't care how it looks because they know certain people will still come. That's no disrespect to the people who shop there, but clearly the management of the property do not feel as though it's worth their time to invest an effort to make the shopping center look better.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:20 PM

137 posts, read 277,546 times
My company has an office close by there so I went there a couple times for lunch. I agree. It's a weird shopping center. Didn't really like the vibe. Seemed kinda blah. That said, I did find Woodmore Towne Center to be more inviting and they have a Wegman's there which is nice.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 AM

692 posts, read 1,004,197 times
Quote:
how would you think the Blvd looks, based on my pictures? Does it look ghetto, or just neglected
It just looks vacant. Ghetto = some parts of BMore and Detroit. The Blvd doesn't even come close. There are semi-empty town centers and strip malls all over the DC Metro area. Town centers are the latest shopping fad. Developers and the politicians in their pocket don't think long term viability and the Blvd is an example. There is always a complaint about lack of shopping options in PG but these places don't attract and keep stores that could be found at Pentagon City or Tysons and even if they did all stores and their inventory are not created equal. There are only so many carry outs, nail salons, check cashing places, cell phone providers and beer and wine stores needed. The same mistake are being made with town centers as they did in the 80's with strip malls, placing one near every crop of houses. Not necessary. The best planned suburban areas I personally have visited or lived in had distinctive and separate residential and shopping areas not a crop of homes and a strip mall or town center every couple miles. The areas are cleaner and less congested and businesses thrive because they are only competing with 2-3 similar industries others but not a dozen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland