Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,250,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
How is Atlanta similar to Largo?
Camp Creek is actually not in Atlanta, it's in a suburb just like Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 02:33 AM

6 posts, read 8,450 times
I actually enjoy Famous Daves and I'm glad I don't have to go to Annapolis or Waldorf anymore. Now if only Nando's Peri Peri would come to central PG!

Old 11-26-2014, 08:13 AM

7,070 posts, read 9,500,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieD View Post
Now if only Nando's Peri Peri would come to central PG!
The one in Laurel is opening soon and it was just announced that one is coming to downtown College Park. I'm sure central PG will have one pretty soon.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:27 PM

631 posts, read 1,389,366 times
Quote:
I actually enjoy Famous Daves and I'm glad I don't have to go to Annapolis or Waldorf anymore. Now if only Nando's Peri Peri would come to central PG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The one in Laurel is opening soon and it was just announced that one is coming to downtown College Park. I'm sure central PG will have one pretty soon.
Nandos opened in laurel sometime in October. It has great Reviews. If you feel like driving to Laurel or National Harbor. Go. Its worth it.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:18 AM

146 posts, read 446,677 times
Quote:
More closings at the BLVD
What has been closed down since then?

Old 12-08-2014, 02:53 PM

468 posts, read 546,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Atlanta has a similar development that succeeded called Camp Creek Marketplace. Both developments cater to the same target market. CC is a lot bigger. I wonder how did CC succeed and The Blvd failed.

BLVD started off wrong. They mislead the neighborhood. Largo thought they were getting what you see now at the "woodmore town center". Blvd had ZERO anchors. Magic Johnson movie theater is really nice but Theaters are not anchors. They had zero department stores. And stores that catered to young teens not WORKING ADULTS. The developer failed the neighborhood big time. People complained about the selection of stores as soon as it opened

Old 12-10-2014, 01:31 PM

566 posts, read 1,549,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
BLVD started off wrong. They mislead the neighborhood. Largo thought they were getting what you see now at the "woodmore town center". Blvd had ZERO anchors. Magic Johnson movie theater is really nice but Theaters are not anchors. They had zero department stores. And stores that catered to young teens not WORKING ADULTS. The developer failed the neighborhood big time. People complained about the selection of stores as soon as it opened
BLVD initially had many national anchors. There was a Linens N'Things, Circuit City, Pier One, and Ann Taylor Loft. They all have all closed (okay, so the first two stores closed nationwide...bottom line is that no comparable store replaced them). The "Restaurant Row" of fast food joints have almost all shuttered...even the Qdoba couldn't stay open. There was a Borders (now closed), where a man was beaten to death right outside the store in 2005, and an Uno's Chicago Grill (now closed), where three men were gunned down in early 2008. The low-class stores started coming in later when the big retailers fled and there was a glut of retail space that was going to sit empty if it wasn't leased cheaply.

Why has Woodmore Town Center been more successful than BLVD? For one, look at who lives in Glenarden/Mitchelville these days compared to Largo. They are not far away from each other yet they are becoming very different places.

Last edited by Curbed Enthusiasm; 12-10-2014 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 01:41 PM

7,070 posts, read 9,500,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
BLVD initially had many national anchors. There was a Linens N'Things, Circuit City, Pier One, and Ann Taylor Loft. They all have all closed (okay, so the first two stores closed nationwide...bottom line is that no comparable store replaced them). The "Restaurant Row" of fast food joints have almost all shuttered...even the Qdoba couldn't stay open. There was a Borders (now closed), where a man was beaten to death right outside the store in 2005, and an Uno's Chicago Grill (now closed), where three men were gunned down in early 2008. The low-class stores started coming in later when the big retailers fled and there was a glut of retail space that was going to sit empty if it wasn't leased cheaply.

Why has Woodmore Town Center been more successful than BLVD? For one, look at who lives in Glenarden/Mitchelville these days compared to Largo. They are not far away from each other yet they are becoming very different places.
Now that I think about this thread, we are all pretty much speculating on why stores are leaving. I gave the most plausible one. WHy sign new leases when the new Hospital is going to be built on the same site? Has anyone actually talked to the property owner or the county to see exactly what is going on?

I'm not that impressed with Woodmore Towncenter. To me it is a convoluted strip center. It's like it's a bipolar town center that starts and ends in weird places.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:21 PM

468 posts, read 546,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post

I for one live in Glenarden, and there is ZERO difference in demographics whether your talking about Largo, Glenarden or Mitchelville than there was 10-15 years ago. The malls are right down the street from each other, with Woodmore Town center actually closer to the Beltway and closer to Glenarden. Do you actually know the area? Largo and Mitchellville are basically the same area, Glenarden is consider Landover and inside the beltway. Since when is Pier one, Ann Taylor or Linens N things an Anchor? Anchors are Macys, Sears, Lord & Taylor, etc. Department Stores. Borders went out of business Nation Wide, as did a number of other stores. Trust me people were complaining about the selection from DAY ONE. They thought they were getting a "serious" mall like Bowie Town Center and thats not way the BlVD was. But Woodmore Town Center is.

P.S. The area was NEVER HOOD, just lacking any Series retail

Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 PM

631 posts, read 1,389,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Now that I think about this thread, we are all pretty much speculating on why stores are leaving. I gave the most plausible one. WHy sign new leases when the new Hospital is going to be built on the same site? Has anyone actually talked to the property owner or the county to see exactly what is going on?

I'm not that impressed with Woodmore Towncenter. To me it is a convoluted strip center. It's like it's a bipolar town center that starts and ends in weird places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
I for one live in Glenarden, and there is ZERO difference in demographics whether your talking about Largo, Glenarden or Mitchelville than there was 10-15 years ago. The malls are right down the street from each other, with Woodmore Town center actually closer to the Beltway and closer to Glenarden. Do you actually know the area? Largo and Mitchellville are basically the same area, Glenarden is consider Landover and inside the beltway. Since when is Pier one, Ann Taylor or Linens N things an Anchor? Anchors are Macys, Sears, Lord & Taylor, etc. Department Stores. Borders went out of business Nation Wide, as did a number of other stores. Trust me people were complaining about the selection from DAY ONE. They thought they were getting a "serious" mall like Bowie Town Center and thats not way the BlVD was. But Woodmore Town Center is.

P.S. The area was NEVER HOOD, just lacking any Series retail
Woodmore Town Center is NOT even a mall. Since when does a Wegmans and a JC Penney constitute it as a mall??? Only retail is a Mens Weahouse, Old Navy, and what a Gymboree??? That's not even CLOSE to a mall. its just a fancier BLVD or Largo Town Center with new construction townhomes being built across the street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland