Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:32 AM

16 posts, read 39,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Agreed. Agreed. Carolina Kitchen's service leaves a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately with the Blvd, it probably could use a re-design but a few years ago, the county had an opportunity to invest money in it as well as other projects and opted not to. Instead they are adding money to expanding newer projects as well as some of the other older ones like Kingdom Square (???). I still don't understand that one, but I believe they want to add more hotels around that shopping center.
The Kingdom Square shopping center just doesnt seem appealing at all. It needs something to make it a worthwhile shopping destination considering its right off the beltway. Lets admit it, women are major shoppers and I dont see anything like a TJMaxx, Marshalls or Ross that would draw them to shop there. But some nice hotels would also help, but hotels with large meeting space for up to 500 persons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 AM

26 posts, read 79,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrism2 View Post
The Kingdom Square shopping center just doesnt seem appealing at all. It needs something to make it a worthwhile shopping destination considering its right off the beltway. Lets admit it, women are major shoppers and I dont see anything like a TJMaxx, Marshalls or Ross that would draw them to shop there. But some nice hotels would also help, but hotels with large meeting space for up to 500 persons.
Agreed!

And also this area of Prince George's County, the area along the Beltway between MD 202 and MD 4, has WAY too many large shopping centers/strip malls, and all with subpar retail offerings and all with significant vacancies:

Woodmore Towne Centre - Wegmans, Costco, JCPenny, Best Buy, 24-Hour Fitness (under construction)
Boulevard at the Capital Centre - Magic Theaters, Golds Gym
Largo Town Center - Shoppers, Marshalls, World Gym
Largo-Kettering Plaza - Target, Lowes, Giant, PetSmart, Staples, Ross Dress For Less
Kingdom Square - The Home Depot
Mitchellville Plaza - Food Lion
Watkins Park Plaza - LA Fitness
Ritchie Station Marketplace - BJs, Bed Bath and Beyond, TJ Maxx

Each one of these shopping centers have significant vacancies. Ritchie Station and Woodmore Towne Centre are both relatively new shopping areas with vacancies, with Ritchie Station consisting of a lot of land available for retail. Now Westphalia Towne Center is proposed to have a significant amount of retail, just down the road from Ritchie Station. Instead of continuously building new shopping centers and strip malls, the county and developers should do more to invest in existing retail areas instead of neglecting the existing, older ones. With all the store closures at the BLVD, why would any upscale, or any retailer for that matter, want to risk opening up a location in central Prince George's County where other retailers failed??? The money in this part of the county is there (Mitchellville, Woodmore, Upper Marlboro), so maybe this trend can be broken. Maybe the BLVD and its original retail offerings was in deed ahead of its time.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyendis View Post
Agreed!

And also this area of Prince George's County, the area along the Beltway between MD 202 and MD 4, has WAY too many large shopping centers/strip malls, and all with subpar retail offerings and all with significant vacancies:

Woodmore Towne Centre - Wegmans, Costco, JCPenny, Best Buy, 24-Hour Fitness (under construction)
Boulevard at the Capital Centre - Magic Theaters, Golds Gym
Largo Town Center - Shoppers, Marshalls, World Gym
Largo-Kettering Plaza - Target, Lowes, Giant, PetSmart, Staples, Ross Dress For Less
Kingdom Square - The Home Depot
Mitchellville Plaza - Food Lion
Watkins Park Plaza - LA Fitness
Ritchie Station Marketplace - BJs, Bed Bath and Beyond, TJ Maxx

Each one of these shopping centers have significant vacancies. Ritchie Station and Woodmore Towne Centre are both relatively new shopping areas with vacancies, with Ritchie Station consisting of a lot of land available for retail. Now Westphalia Towne Center is proposed to have a significant amount of retail, just down the road from Ritchie Station. Instead of continuously building new shopping centers and strip malls, the county and developers should do more to invest in existing retail areas instead of neglecting the existing, older ones. With all the store closures at the BLVD, why would any upscale, or any retailer for that matter, want to risk opening up a location in central Prince George's County where other retailers failed??? The money in this part of the county is there (Mitchellville, Woodmore, Upper Marlboro), so maybe this trend can be broken. Maybe the BLVD and its original retail offerings was in deed ahead of its time.
Interesting stuff. I haven't been to the Watkins Park Plaza in quite a while, I'm assuming the LA Fitness replaced the old Safeway, no?

Also seems like the county is pushing for more gyms, which is probably a good thing to be honest.

Definitely there are a lot of shopping centers in that area, but I feel like there has been a lack of creativity. Wegmans is truly unique and that's one of the reasons why it's a popular draw, but some of the other shops seem redundant. There should be more sit-down restaurant options in the area we are talking about, which seem like they are flooded with carry-outs/drive-thrus. Blvd has the large majority of the sit-down options. Outside of that, you have the Restaurant Park off of Lottsford Road, the Applebee's in LTC, Copper Canyon Grill in WTC, and an IHOP in Kingdom Square. 4 of those shopping centers on this list do not have one sit-down restaurant. That should be greatly improved.

Last edited by justtitans; 02-04-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Interesting stuff. I haven't been to the Watkins Park Plaza in quite a while, I'm assuming the LA Fitness replaced the old Safeway, no?

Also seems like the county is pushing for more gyms, which is probably a good thing to be honest.

Definitely there are a lot of shopping centers in that area, but I feel like there has been a lack of creativity. Wegmans is truly unique and that's one of the reasons why it's a popular draw, but some of the other shops seem redundant. There should be more sit-down restaurant options in the area we are talking about, which seem like they are flooded with carry-outs/drive-thrus. Blvd has the large majority of the sit-down options. Outside of that, you have the Restaurant Park off of Lottsford Road, the Applebee's in LTC, Copper Canyon Grill in WTC, and an IHOP in Kingdom Square. 4 of those shopping centers on this list do not have one sit-down restaurant. That should be greatly improved.
I remember many years ago when Wayne Curry was in office he demanded that developers not just throw up housing developments but start making them unique with special visual features much like in MoCo. The county officials need to do the same with retail center owners; require they do something unique and upscale not just the run of the mill center. Loudon couty has shopping centers with large outdoor fire pits and Bellagio type water features. Even Richmond has a unique new mall concept. You must build something unique and attractive to keep up with the rising incomes of the middle class in the county so they wont go elsewhere to shop. And trust me, by the large numbers of whites I saw at the Harbor over the weekend with VA tags they will come if it is nice!

My concern is that the up and coming retail centers will be based on opposite ends of the county: National Harbor and Laurel. I definitely see a Cheesecake Factory or PFChangs at the MGM hotel at the harbor or maybe Laurel. Quite as it is kept Nordstrom is real close to making a deal in the county but they want to build in an area that fits their image...that may end up being the harbor or laurel. Also a Dave and Busters would be nice anywhere but really at the Woodmore Center.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:01 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
I remember many years ago when Wayne Curry was in office he demanded that developers not just throw up housing developments but start making them unique with special visual features much like in MoCo. The county officials need to do the same with retail center owners; require they do something unique and upscale not just the run of the mill center. Loudon couty has shopping centers with large outdoor fire pits and Bellagio type water features. Even Richmond has a unique new mall concept. You must build something unique and attractive to keep up with the rising incomes of the middle class in the county so they wont go elsewhere to shop. And trust me, by the large numbers of whites I saw at the Harbor over the weekend with VA tags they will come if it is nice!

My concern is that the up and coming retail centers will be based on opposite ends of the county: National Harbor and Laurel. I definitely see a Cheesecake Factory or PFChangs at the MGM hotel at the harbor or maybe Laurel. Quite as it is kept Nordstrom is real close to making a deal in the county but they want to build in an area that fits their image...that may end up being the harbor or laurel. Also a Dave and Busters would be nice anywhere but really at the Woodmore Center.
This is interesting. But I can see a Nordstrom at Woodmore Town Centre. Or even Bowie Town Center, if the robbery/burglary crimes are under control. But the big question is what quality of merchandise will the Nordstrom's carry? We've discussed merchandise tiers in this forum in the past. As an example, Macy's opened with some anticipation, but the quality of the stock at BTC is a bit on the cheap and bland side.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
This is interesting. But I can see a Nordstrom at Woodmore Town Centre. Or even Bowie Town Center, if the robbery/burglary crimes are under control. But the big question is what quality of merchandise will the Nordstrom's carry? We've discussed merchandise tiers in this forum in the past. As an example, Macy's opened with some anticipation, but the quality of the stock at BTC is a bit on the cheap and bland side.
The only way I see Nordstrom at Woodmore (which is a strong possibility) is if they also get high end hotels to open there too, upscale housing such as loft condos and all brick townhomes and Class A office buildings. But the county must work in step with the developer to sell that location; which may mean some major tax incentives also.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:16 AM

49 posts, read 105,398 times
Quote:

Does The Kingdom Square still have that liquor store? I always thought it was such an eye sore and that they should highly consider getting rid of the liquor store. It didn't make any sense to me how they had a liquor store there when the anchor is a church. Call me old fashioned but it seemed very much out of place and a turn off. When I still lived in the Bowie area it wasn't uncommon to see vagrants over there and on the nearby highway with cardboard signs, then over to the liquor store they go. And then the bootlegger that has his "black backpack storefront shop" in front of the Cameron's. No decent retailer will move into that center until they clean things up over there. It's a real eye sore.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD84 View Post
Does The Kingdom Square still have that liquor store? I always thought it was such an eye sore and that they should highly consider getting rid of the liquor store. It didn't make any sense to me how they had a liquor store there when the anchor is a church. Call me old fashioned but it seemed very much out of place and a turn off. When I still lived in the Bowie area it wasn't uncommon to see vagrants over there and on the nearby highway with cardboard signs, then over to the liquor store they go. And then the bootlegger that has his "black backpack storefront shop" in front of the Cameron's. No decent retailer will move into that center until they clean things up over there. It's a real eye sore.
I understand everybody got make their hussle, and I would rather they do that than knock someone over the head for a wallet or purse. But it does cheapen the retail environment and make it less appealling to potential shoppers. The entire county needs to make laws against unauthorized panhandlers; they are even in Brandywine Crossings and that traffic is a nightmare!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:32 AM

26 posts, read 79,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD84 View Post
Does The Kingdom Square still have that liquor store? I always thought it was such an eye sore and that they should highly consider getting rid of the liquor store. It didn't make any sense to me how they had a liquor store there when the anchor is a church. Call me old fashioned but it seemed very much out of place and a turn off.
I believe the liquor store is still there. And frequently there are people hanging out in the mornings along the roadway between The Home Depot and 7-eleven, I guess looking for day work. To me, this is also a turn off for Kingdom Square.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:33 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
My concern is that the up and coming retail centers will be based on opposite ends of the county: National Harbor and Laurel.
National Harbor and Laurel are not the only retail centers in the county. You're forgetting about Hyattsville which probably has more retail sqft within its city borders than elsewhere. PG plaza has close to 1 million sqft of retail under its roof alone.

Quote:
I definitely see a Cheesecake Factory or PFChangs at the MGM hotel
Don't hold your breath. I haven't heard any clues as to MGM shooting that low in terms of quality.

Quote:
Quite as it is kept Nordstrom is real close to making a deal in the county but they want to build in an area that fits their image...that may end up being the harbor or laurel.
Source? Also, what is Nordstrom's "image?" For a lot of people Macy's fits that image. They are certainly no Saks, Lord & Taylor, or Neiman Marcus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland