Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:16 AM

293 posts, read 569,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Being a person who actually lives in Upper Marlboro and enjoys it every time I go home from college, I know where Marlboro Ridge will be. It looks nice. I've lived here all my life. Here are some details:

It is very peaceful and we are very community friendly. We have our annual Marlboro Day which is fun for families. We also have the County Fair every year at the Equestrian Center. Down by the county building you can take a walk by the man made lake and in the summer the ducks are out and its really a relaxing thing to go down there with kids and feed the ducks and fish. On Brown Station Rd. The new Amish Maket is there and they have GREAT food and produce. I love their watermelon. The churches downtown have fish fry's and that brings the community together also. We have sports and recreation for the kids at the field....etc.

I think that you will find it comforting to live here. Its really like a laid back place with absolutly no crime...well maybe 1 or 2 but I've never heard or witnessed any. I actually came home last weekend when it was nice and played in the yard with my dog.
...as someone who lived in Upper Marlboro a year ago I never saw any crime. I wonder where people get their information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:36 AM

109 posts, read 617,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
Maat,
The area between Penn Ave and White House road should have been developed for Tech companies years ago and put some employment into the county. I know a woman that bought and held onto a large parcel of land off of Westphalia st/dr/ave/ and was looking for that very purpose.

Murry's could be razed and the same happen on that huge piece of property.

Housing is a waste when the county has nothing in the manner of taxes and real employment.

I have been accused of being a white man that cherishes holding blacks back...
I have stated forever the county needs real employment and that is one of the areas I have always had in mind. The tech companies in NOVA might have set up shop here in PGC and may want to expand an office over towards here.
It's employment/work/jobs that improve an area. Numbers and statistics mean nothing unless you have reasons to apply them.
The original poster didn't ask about the job market. If he/she had asked I might have mentioned that Westphalia is also part of what Jim Estepp calls the Andrews National Defense and Technology Corridor. He's been working this project for years:

Corridor Inc. - Cover Story (http://www.corridorinc.com/content/view/533/1/ - broken link)

And just a couple of weeks ago some county reps along with Steny Hoyer met with GSA to make the case that we should have a bigger share of federal leases:

Prince George's County Holds Federal Leasing Forum

http://www.smartgrowth.umd.edu/pdf/G...eport_Full.pdf

You know, there's a well-known negative perception that all of our inner beltway communities are crime infested and unliveable. There's an equally bogus perception that everybody in the outer beltway communities is in an endless, superficial pursuit of bigger and better stuff (e.g., homes and cars), oblivious to some of the more important issues. Just because residents celebrate a project like National Harbor doesn't mean we're more interested in shopping than we are in say improving the schools. It means we want to spend our money here where it benefits us instead of Fairfax/Montgomery. And just because we're excited when Toll Brothers decides to build Marlboro Ridge doesn't mean we don't recognize there are problems elsewhere in the county. These projects will help us shake off the negative image that may be preventing us from attracting some of these companies. I happen to be in the tech industry and no one wants to get off the beltway more than I do.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:59 PM

692 posts, read 1,729,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat View Post
The original poster didn't ask about the job market. If he/she had asked I might have mentioned that Westphalia is also part of what Jim Estepp calls the Andrews National Defense and Technology Corridor. He's been working this project for years:

Corridor Inc. - Cover Story (http://www.corridorinc.com/content/view/533/1/ - broken link)

And just a couple of weeks ago some county reps along with Steny Hoyer met with GSA to make the case that we should have a bigger share of federal leases:

Prince George's County Holds Federal Leasing Forum

http://www.smartgrowth.umd.edu/pdf/G...eport_Full.pdf

You know, there's a well-known negative perception that all of our inner beltway communities are crime infested and unliveable. There's an equally bogus perception that everybody in the outer beltway communities is in an endless, superficial pursuit of bigger and better stuff (e.g., homes and cars), oblivious to some of the more important issues. Just because residents celebrate a project like National Harbor doesn't mean we're more interested in shopping than we are in say improving the schools. It means we want to spend our money here where it benefits us instead of Fairfax/Montgomery. And just because we're excited when Toll Brothers decides to build Marlboro Ridge doesn't mean we don't recognize there are problems elsewhere in the county. These projects will help us shake off the negative image that may be preventing us from attracting some of these companies. I happen to be in the tech industry and no one wants to get off the beltway more than I do.
Great post.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:53 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,292,136 times
I second that. Thank you for your positive post.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:58 AM

16 posts, read 119,353 times
Default Upper Marlboro

My husband and I are still house shopping and have come across a few nice “looking” homes in Upper Marlboro unfortunately we know nothing about the area. What are the best communities in Upper Marlboro? What area should I aim for and which ones should I avoid at all cost?? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:37 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,292,136 times
What area have you been looking at so far in Upper Marlboro?

The entrie area is very nice and safe.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Great Post.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:30 PM

several places. i have never even driven past there. i have gone to a store out there once. other than that i have not been. so i have been looking in all areas

Old 07-04-2008, 06:23 AM

646 posts, read 2,664,559 times
The town of Upper Marlboro is a very nice quaint little town,the traffic does get bad becuase of the court house but as with anywhere nowadays there are good spots and bad,in town is nice and out around the golf course is nice as well.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:27 AM

646 posts, read 2,664,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellieb128 View Post
I lived in Calvert County for 20 years and worked in Upper Marlboro for 5 and you couldn't pay me to live in Upper Marlboro - especially if I had kids.
I would tend to agree with you although around the town itself is nice and so is ove by the golf course.Anywhere you go in P.G will have it's problems some just have less then others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland