Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 09:00 PM

28 posts, read 71,675 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy the DC area and have been giving some serious thought to moving there. No concrete plans yet but I've definitely been trying to do my research. Most jobs in my field are in Maryland, typically Columbia or Baltimore. Out of curiosity, for, say, 8-5 weekday work hours, what would a commute to downtown Baltimore from Silver Spring, College Park or Hyattsville be like time wise? Right now I live in Houston, nearly 30 miles from my job. It takes me about an hour to get to work in the morning and typically an hour and 10-15 minutes to get home in the evenings. I don't love this commute, but I have gotten used to it. How would the Maryland commute compare to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:12 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman84 View Post
Out of curiosity, for, say, 8-5 weekday work hours, what would a commute to downtown Baltimore from Silver Spring, College Park or Hyattsville be like time wise? Right now I live in Houston, nearly 30 miles from my job. It takes me about an hour to get to work in the morning and typically an hour and 10-15 minutes to get home in the evenings. I don't love this commute, but I have gotten used to it. How would the Maryland commute compare to that?
My husband worked in downtown Baltimore when we lived in Silver Spring. For a trip of about 35 miles, the time is similar to your Houston trip: 50-75 minutes. It is mostly a reverse commute, and some time was needed to walk from the parking lot to the office.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:16 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,788,050 times
I live in Silver Spring and used to work in Columbia and it took me about 30 minutes to get to work. For the most part you will have little to no traffic, You will want to find a place with easy access to I-95 or Route 29 for the best commute

Old 03-17-2014, 07:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
I know that you said that you like the DC area but you need to keep in mind that if you get a job in Baltimore you would be commuting from an area with more expensive housing to an area with cheaper housing. Housing in Baltimore City is cheaper than anywhere else in Central Maryland. But even if you want a suburban experience, far northern Ann Arundel County and southern Baltimore County are a relatively good buy.

I can understand the attraction of Silver Spring (where I lived at one time) but Hyattsville? If I worked in Baltimore (which I do) there would be no contest between living in Hyattsville and Catonsville (for example). Driving into DC on the weekends from Catonsville would be a lot easier than driving into Baltimore from Hyattsville every day. Plus you would save a ton of time and gas and rent money.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:39 PM

28 posts, read 71,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
But even if you want a suburban experience, far northern Ann Arundel County and southern Baltimore County are a relatively good buy.

I can understand the attraction of Silver Spring (where I lived at one time) but Hyattsville? If I worked in Baltimore (which I do) there would be no contest between living in Hyattsville and Catonsville (for example). Driving into DC on the weekends from Catonsville would be a lot easier than driving into Baltimore from Hyattsville every day. Plus you would save a ton of time and gas and rent money.
I hear what you're saying. I should clarify it's not so much that I want a suburban experience as that I'm trying to be realistic about how far my money could go. I take no issue with having a roommate situation either.

And truth be told, I DO have a friend in Baltimore who has told me that if I found a job in the area I could stay in his extra room either renting it on a permanent basis or just temporarily until I got on my feet. I like Baltimore and I'm not closed off to the idea. I guess I just like the idea of being closer to DC.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman84 View Post
I guess I just like the idea of being closer to DC.
Fair enough, and makes sense. That's the beauty of renting (being able to easily switch locations) and also the beauty of a reverse commute. DC area near the beltway/95 - Silver Spring/College Park/Hyattsville, like you mention - up to Columbia or Baltimore won't be too bad of a commute, so it'd be an option, and living in Baltimore or Columbia themselves would also be an option. It'll probably come down to the budget your new job would allow. As mentioned, the Baltimore area is substantially cheaper than the Washington area. A lot of people like the idea of being closer to DC, so you'll have a pay a premium to compete with that demand.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:37 PM

367 posts, read 940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Fair enough, and makes sense. That's the beauty of renting (being able to easily switch locations) and also the beauty of a reverse commute. DC area near the beltway/95 - Silver Spring/College Park/Hyattsville, like you mention - up to Columbia or Baltimore won't be too bad of a commute, so it'd be an option, and living in Baltimore or Columbia themselves would also be an option. It'll probably come down to the budget your new job would allow. As mentioned, the Baltimore area is substantially cheaper than the Washington area. A lot of people like the idea of being closer to DC, so you'll have a pay a premium to compete with that demand.
How's the commute from Columbia to Baltimore (if you live in Columbia and work in Baltimore)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland