Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM

7 posts, read 16,415 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,

There are a few nice complexes around the Prince Georges Plaza Metro - Post Park, Mosaic at Metro, the new 3350 at Alterra that they're building.... I just got a new job in downtown DC and me and the man are looking to move from way out here in the burbs (Montgomery Village) to be a quick, metro commute into Gallery Place.

At the same time, I'm not feeling 2k for a 1 BR in downtown, because, frankly, we'd probably kill each other in a 700 sq ft apartment. So, we found those apartments around Prince Georges Plaza that definitely fit our space needs and our budget and have great amenities.

Anyone have any thoughts on the area? We want to live in a diverse neighborhood, we're a mixed-race couple, both working professionals. However, we're hoping to avoid having too much craziness, partying, or crime around - y'know, like most people. I would be walking from the apartment to the metro each day to get to and from work.

Thanks for any constructive opinions

MM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 02:11 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,000 times
Look in Wheaton... I moved from Gburg to Wheaton and it is okay. They have two new places and two "not so old" communities I here. All on top of the metro or within two blocks.

Going to DC (Farragut North for example) is about 20 minutes. Silver Sprint is down the street... and Rockville is up the road and Gburg (if you have friends there) is about 20 minutes going on the back road, off the highway... depending on traffic, of course.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:02 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3733 View Post
Hey y'all,

There are a few nice complexes around the Prince Georges Plaza Metro - Post Park, Mosaic at Metro, the new 3350 at Alterra that they're building.... I just got a new job in downtown DC and me and the man are looking to move from way out here in the burbs (Montgomery Village) to be a quick, metro commute into Gallery Place.

At the same time, I'm not feeling 2k for a 1 BR in downtown, because, frankly, we'd probably kill each other in a 700 sq ft apartment. So, we found those apartments around Prince Georges Plaza that definitely fit our space needs and our budget and have great amenities.

Anyone have any thoughts on the area? We want to live in a diverse neighborhood, we're a mixed-race couple, both working professionals. However, we're hoping to avoid having too much craziness, partying, or crime around - y'know, like most people. I would be walking from the apartment to the metro each day to get to and from work.

Thanks for any constructive opinions

MM

I live in the area and I think The area around PG Plaza is fine and is only getting better. The Prince George's Plaza area has just about every amenity you would need including the mall, restaurants, dentists, doctors, grocery stores, movie theater, dry cleaners, banks, bars, and pharmacies. Hyattsville is a very diverse community and is becoming a really hot DC area neighborhood around the Arts District.

More development in that area is coming. A new Safeway will be under construction this year at the town center diagonal to the metro station.

Please, if you haven't visited, please walk around and check the place out. I think you'll be fine walking to and from the metro for work. My wife and I shop in that area multiple times a week and never feel unsafe. I actually belonged to the LA Fitness at the metro and worked out daily early in the morning and never felt unsafe.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:52 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
I've never lived near PG Plaza, but did look into it/repeatedly visit the area a couple years back when considering a purchase in the area. I did so thinking that, on paper, it looks like it could be the new downtown Silver Spring (going from dead to vibrant; meager amenities to many, and I was interested in getting in at the ground floor (and for, as you note, a pretty inexpensive price)). Unfortunately, personally, I found it still had a long way to go. I didn't necessarily feel unsafe, but I did feel uneasy at how dead a lot of the area felt. It's beyond an eerie experience to stand in the large American Blvd courtyard in the middle of a Saturday and not see a soul. The Arts District is more vibrant, but not really within walking distance, unfortunately. The mall really kills the pedestrian experience for the area and amenities are few and far between. I ended up eating at an Olive Garden the first time I visited.

In sum, yes it's inexpensive, but it's inexpensive due to shortcomings. If those shortcomings don't bother you, then that's awesome. Longer term, I think PG Plaza will eventually realize its potential, but the recession really did set it back a decade, at least. I was glad to hear a couple of the vacant/half vacant condo buildings that sat floundering for many years finally sold off their units. The neighborhood really did suffer some terribly unlucky timing, though I think PG's insane land-use policies hold back the area as well. The fact the PG Plaza development, the Arts District development, and now the Whole Foods development are all scattered - just out of walking distance of each other (and beyond walking distance to a metro station in the case of Arts D. and WF) is totally idiotic, in my mind.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
amenities are few and far between.
Other than the many amenities I listed, what others are missing?

Quote:
the recession really did set it back a decade, at least.
While I agree the recession did stall some projects and even sent University Town Center into bankruptcy, it is a bit inaccurate to say that development was set back a decade or more. The first phase of the redevelopment of Belcrest Plaza has already started pretty much on schedule with 3350 Alterra. There is the Kiplinger project on 410 that is currently going through approvals and the Safeway at UTC is only 6 years behind its original delivery date of 2009.

A lot of retailers at UTC signed leases based on Safeway's lease as the anchor. When that fell through together with the recession, then the center fell int o bankruptcy. Most projects need an anchor which is usually a grocery store or some retail that brings foot traffic for 18 hours that otherwise wouldn't be there. Once Safeway begins construction, retail leases should pick up. And to be honest, I'm glad the town center is getting a restart. Now there's a chance to get some good retail there other than the smoothie place, cleaners, soup man, etc.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:42 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Other than the many amenities I listed, what others are missing?
By amenities I mostly meant entertainment/dining/nightlife options. The quantity and quality still leaves something to be desired, IMHO. The Regal is a great anchor, as is the incoming Safway you note. I hope PG Plaza and the UTC, specifically, can build upon that in the coming years. My comment about the area being set back 10 years by the recession was certainly an unscientific claim, but there's no doubt change has been coming much, much slower that I, the county, and I'm sure a number of residents, had hoped. The investment dollars have begun flowing again, but I think it's impossible to say how quick the pace will be in the next 5, 10, 15 years. I certainly hope the area takes off and I wouldn't bet against it.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
By amenities I mostly meant entertainment/dining/nightlife options. The quantity and quality still leaves something to be desired, IMHO. The Regal is a great anchor, as is the incoming Safway you note. I hope PG Plaza and the UTC, specifically, can build upon that in the coming years. My comment about the area being set back 10 years by the recession was certainly an unscientific claim, but there's no doubt change has been coming much, much slower that I, the county, and I'm sure a number of residents, had hoped. The investment dollars have begun flowing again, but I think it's impossible to say how quick the pace will be in the next 5, 10, 15 years. I certainly hope the area takes off and I wouldn't bet against it.

I think a large part of the issue of time is that people don't realize just how long development lifecycles can take. UTC was 50 years in the making and the developer felt that 2006 was the right time to continue the process. Little did they know a huge recession was coming. National Harbor was 40 years i n the making. My uncle said that they used to have meetings about a development like National Harbor that had fits and starts for decades. I didn't even know that the Purple Line had its start back in the 90s.

Sometimes developers sit on land until the market is right, or until they can gather enough financing. OR they have to wait until zonings change, etc. Trust me, I wish developments could go from conception to breaking ground in 12 months. But it just doesn't happen that fast. Look at how long East Campus in College Park has been on the books. The project started 9 years ago and still they haven't broken ground. They've been through about 3 developers now so far. Now they just struck a deal with a hotel developer for a convention center. That may take another 1 year before they even break ground.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:41 AM

153 posts, read 306,316 times
In my opinion the apartments around PG Plaza Metro would be the best bang for your buck if you are working in Gallery Place as it is a straight shot down the Green/Yellow express line (about a 20 minute commute). I live nearby and shop at that Target, Giant and Home Depot all the time. PG plaza is safe and there are a ton of shopping and eating options within walking distance. Might not be as "hip" as Silver Spring or downtown but the price reflects that and you'll get something more affordable with most all of the amenities it sounds like you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland