Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 PM

536 posts, read 610,808 times

Advertisements

I don't care about a bunch of chain restaurants or what not. I mean, I have a feeling for what kind of places might be there, like a nicer version of cheese cake factory or PF Changs or something (not interested in those types of places). Is there decent priced shopping or is it all high end (for the gf)? Is there anything cultural around? Museum? etc.? Can you at least get some nice views and walks? I know that odd statue is on the beach but looking for a few more reasons to take that bus from either southern ave or branch ave. (coming all the way from upper NW near Maryland) - statues or structures as well. Or am I better off showing her Mt. Rainier or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:10 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
I don't care about a bunch of chain restaurants or what not. I mean, I have a feeling for what kind of places might be there, like a nicer version of cheese cake factory or PF Changs or something (not interested in those types of places). Is there decent priced shopping or is it all high end (for the gf)? Is there anything cultural around? Museum? etc.? Can you at least get some nice views and walks? I know that odd statue is on the beach but looking for a few more reasons to take that bus from either southern ave or branch ave. (coming all the way from upper NW near Maryland) - statues or structures as well. Or am I better off showing her Mt. Rainier or something?
Things to Do in Washington DC | National Harbor

Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 PM

536 posts, read 610,808 times
Meh. I visited.

Found it to be a bit sterile. More of a corporate feel to it with no real soul or anything cultural. I think the place has potential but as it stands now, there was nothing there that I could not get by just staying in DC and without any solid means of getting from NW to the NH, it loses my interest quick. I have to walk to the metro, go to Ctown for a transfer, go alll the way to the end of the green and wait for a bus, and travel for a good distance on that bus. Not appealing. I just found it to be lacking over all.

So, if you live in DC, especially NW or near downtown, not worth the hassle. I guess if you are from a smaller nearby town in PG, it is probably worth it if you don't want to go all the way into DC.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:23 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
So, if you live in DC, especially NW or near downtown, not worth the hassle. I guess if you are from a smaller nearby town in PG, it is probably worth it if you don't want to go all the way into DC.
A few things. One, development is not completed. Two, it was never meant to be a self contained, secluded harbor. It was built on the Potomac to take advantage of its proximity to DC and Old Town - a springboard if you will, for those who chose to book a hotel at NH or to live there.

Nevertheless, people from NW DC and even Nova travel to NH for specific events such as the Food and Wine Festival, the weekly live music shows at night on the pier during the summer, and the many social and civic events such as walks, runs, and parades. But meh, it's not for everyone.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:31 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
A few things. One, development is not completed. Two, it was never meant to be a self contained, secluded harbor. It was built on the Potomac to take advantage of its proximity to DC and Old Town - a springboard if you will, for those who chose to book a hotel at NH or to live there.

Nevertheless, people from NW DC and even Nova travel to NH for specific events such as the Food and Wine Festival, the weekly live music shows at night on the pier during the summer, and the many social and civic events such as walks, runs, and parades. But meh, it's not for everyone.
That is the real point. Everyone has there own interpretation of what is interesting. Aside from the occasional play event or restaurant the DC metro area doesn't do it for me. I think there are cities that are far more interesting but that doesn't mean that it doesn't appeal to others. Its a matter of preference. Another thing to consider is that the long-term vision is that the NH will serve as an economic engine for development in areas surrounding it. It was never the plan for the NH to be self contained. Eventually it will extend to adjacent areas just like Baltimore with East Point and the Navy Yard with Navy East and Buzzard's Point.

Last edited by UrbanScholar; 04-08-2014 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland