Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 11:01 AM

318 posts, read 760,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I could see where different police departments wouldn't want to overlap. Unless there are financial agreements as well. PGPD shouldn't have to police the beltway for the state if they're not getting funds to do so. I'm sure budgets are tight and they like to keep those duties separate. I've NEVER seen a PGPD giving a ticket or assistance on the beltway. They've always been state troopers. Not saying there haven't been cases. But I've never seen it...yet.

You're right, but the state police is understaffed and stretched thin. Sometimes only 6 or so troopers covering all of Prince George's County's major roadways. They often call upon PGPD to handle something if they are short staffed. I have even heard of them using Laurel PD and Greenbelt PD, since both have a couple miles jurisdiction on 95/495.

No financial agreements, just "I'll sratch your back, you scratch mine" kind of deal... typically with one department receiving more scratches than the other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Technically a MD sworn police officer from any of the State's jurisdictions can enforce any State laws anywhere in the State.
Criminal Laws, yes. Traffic laws, no.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropping_k View Post
So I would assume it's safe to zoom past a DC cop in Maryland right? I see several DC cruisers riding around in Maryland.
That's the second time you have asked.... do you feel the need to speed past police?

They won't pull you over, but if you drive like an idiot they might call the primary jurisdiction and put a look-out for your vehicle, and the primary jurisdiction won't need to observe you doing anything wrong to stop you.......

Old 08-24-2014, 04:09 PM

15,411 posts, read 25,741,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I could see where different police departments wouldn't want to overlap. Unless there are financial agreements as well. PGPD shouldn't have to police the beltway for the state if they're not getting funds to do so. I'm sure budgets are tight and they like to keep those duties separate. I've NEVER seen a PGPD giving a ticket or assistance on the beltway. They've always been state troopers. Not saying there haven't been cases. But I've never seen it...yet.
When I lived in PG, I did see PGPD have people pulled over on the beltway. I have no idea if they were chased of of Rt. 50 on to the beltway or not. I have not seen them running radar on the beltway, but I have seen them doing 80+ in the far left lane.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 AM

117 posts, read 233,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
When I lived in PG, I did see PGPD have people pulled over on the beltway. I have no idea if they were chased of of Rt. 50 on to the beltway or not. I have not seen them running radar on the beltway, but I have seen them doing 80+ in the far left lane.
About 1 year ago I noticed Greenbelt squad car had pulled someone over near the Kenilworth ave exit. Since that is within their city limits I guess they could write that person a ticket.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:51 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,799,814 times
When I first moved to this area, I was not used to having county police at all in the metropolitan area. In Kansas City, all the suburbs are incorporated and have their own police departments. The counties do have their own police, but they pretty much only patrol the outer rural fringes of the counties. So in the KC area, can drive through a dozen different police jurisdictions in only matter of five or ten miles. In places like PG County (or St Louis County), much of the county is un-incorporated with some incorporated cities mixed in, so you have this odd county/city thing going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland