Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:57 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Can I ask a question?

Who, really, sees a Black family as an anomaly? Really?
Maybe in some areas but I know dozens, hundreds, maybe thousands. In this area, encompassing SoMD (includes Prince George's and Anne Arundel).

Are there a number of single parent ones? Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 03:51 PM

195 posts, read 177,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky
Culturally, black women have been the pillars of strength for black families. They step in to raise the sons of men who are absent for whatever reason.
I'm not wholly convinced of this comment to begin with, but I think it's a monumental oversight to make a statement like this, glossing over what's in bold.

There's a reason for everything and it's a significant part of the discussion.

When a conversation starts to break down into finger pointing, claiming one "gender" is more virtuous than the other, it pretty much becomes pointless to continue.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:52 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I may be wrong, but usually black women find eligible black men as a combination of the following:

1. Not in jail and no record. At least not any felonies.
2. Heterosexual
3. College-educated or at least attaining some level of education after high school.
4. Employable (Can maintain a stable job and/or career)
5. Takes care of his responsibilities (manageable credit, can own and/or maintain housing and transportation)

Culturally, black women have been the pillars of strength for black families. They step in to raise the sons of men who are absent for whatever reason. They help to bind the family together. This role-reversal in position and perception of strength has ties back to slavery.
You haven't said not one negative thing about women and your post give a tone as though it's all men fault that relationships don't work. That is society's narrative. We are nothing but sperm donors. I'm not sitting here and saying that women are always at fault but again I believe the blame can be shared. There are plenty of gay women, plenty of women who have commitment issues, plenty of women who have emotional baggage, plenty of women choose to focus on things besides relationships, plenty of women who have multiple baby daddies, and plenty of women simply are not good at being wives or mothers. These things also contribute to singleness.

Quote:
African American Relationships, Marriages, and Families: An Introduction - Patricia Dixon - Google Books

Most black women have been taught to not solely rely on a man for their livelihood. In addition, they have been encouraged to attain an education, most often, putting marriage off until after graduation. My best friend had to wait until his wife finished grad school before he had her parent's blessings. My wife went to a majority white university in Indiana and it was normal for white undergrads to be married before graduation or shortly thereafter.
I wonder how many of those women had father's at home who took care of them and was there for them? The most of the men that I know, who have daughters, have an expectation that their daughters will marry a man that will take care of their daughters the way that they have already taken care of them. I know that was something that my father-in-law expected of me, when I courted my wife. It wasn't so much about her not doing anything for herself, but it was about doing things that were beneficial for our relationship, not just for her. I just wonder how many fathers, would not want to have their daughter being cared for by a good man, like they took care of their family.

Quote:
I think marriage isn't as important right out of high school/college as it used to be. I could be wrong. And yes, black women are taught to be able to take care of themselves. I would agree that this drive to be self-sufficient is more likely due to the lack of trust in black men and other historical factors previously mentioned.

I see them in other places too. Black families shouldn't be so foreign to cause someone to walk over and mention it to the very ethnic group they're referring to. Black families have been on TV for decades from the Jeffersons to the Cosby Show and Family Matters. Black families do exist and are not quiet on the endangered list.

Marriage and divorce: patterns by gender, race, and educational attainment : Monthly Labor Review : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
I agree with you. I'm still not sure why people have reacted like they have. I used to think it was a racial thing but then black people were doing the same thing so it clearly is much more than that.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:55 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Can I ask a question?

Who, really, sees a Black family as an anomaly? Really?
Maybe in some areas but I know dozens, hundreds, maybe thousands. In this area, encompassing SoMD (includes Prince George's and Anne Arundel).

Are there a number of single parent ones? Yes.
Apparently some people do. I guess it depends on people experiences. I have mentioned this on here, and you may have heard this said about some schools in PG, but I used to volunteer at a schools where we were told that 80% of the students came from single parent homes.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:58 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Apparently some people do. I guess it depends on people experiences. I have mentioned this on here, and you may have heard this said about some schools in PG, but I used to volunteer at a schools where we were told that 80% of the students came from single parent homes.
Yeah, there are those. And many don't want to admit the existence.

The reality is that single parent households are all over, some areas seem to have a higher concentration.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
I shared this in another section of the website, but I thought the article would be relevant to Prince George's County as well as sections of DC, which both have many majority minority enclaves.

How Home Ownership Keeps Blacks Poorer Than Whites - Forbes

Thoughts?
Nothing new. Schools, crime, wanting to live among your own and the facts that Black are a minority means that Black homeowners, in predominantly Black areas, will see depressed demand for their homes.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
That is the root of our problem when it comes to building economically stable communities. We also don't re-invest in our communities as much as other racial groups. African Americans spend over 1 trillion dollars annually in consumable products but that money stays in their own communities less that 6 hours. Comparatively, money stays in the Asian and Caucasian communities for three to four days. Very little efforts are made by AAs to save let alone develop financial portfolios. There are various arguments as to why this is the case but the fact is that this trend needs to change.

Agreed, there is also nothing wrong with keeping a car once its paid for. I have a few friends and associates that feel the need to buy a new car once the old one is paid for. Even when there is nothing wrong with the car that is paid for.

+1
That stat means little. For Caucasians this is merely a function of being in the majority and majority of businesses owned by Whites. Very few Whites go out saying, "let me shop at my local White owned shop." As for Asians they are looking for cultural specific items & services. A similar thing occurred during segregation in the Black community.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Can you elaborate more on that please?
I see what he is saying not sure I completely agree though. I believe he is pointing out that many Black folks (this is purely anecdotal on my part and speaking in generalities realizing that not ALL Black people think this way) look for the biggest, flashiest house their money can buy. Not concerning themselves as much with location or even schools. Since the value of these homes aren't based on normally recognized fundamentals their value tends to diminish over time.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I can assure you welfare isn't the culprit and I would argue that if it does play a role, that role is miniscule. There has always been the lack of eligible black men for black women. Either because of socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, incarceration, lack of education, or baby-momma issues.

Some women are career women and choose to put off marriage until much later. Half of the women in my family are successful career-wise and single with no children. As a matter of fact, career ambition has been an issue lately with women putting off marriage in college where they would likely find most of the eligible black men. But they put marriage off until the numbers of eligible black men dwindle and wonder why they are still single in their mid-thirties.

Other causes are divorce and people co-habitating, etc. Some women choose to adopt and not get married. And lately, interracial marriages have become more acceptable. Therefore, it's not a given that a black woman will choose to marry a black man. I have two goddaughters now who are dating white men in college.

Lastly, people are more content with being single. Marriage is not a high priority or as important (when young) as it was 50 years ago.

I think welfare would come in last as to why there aren't many black married couples.

Really? I see black families all the time. All ages and sizes. I see it when I travel as well. And that's one hell of an odd thing to say to a stranger, that you hardly see black families. There are a lot of people who never venture outside of their communities much. I experienced that in the mid-west. The people there were clueless.
I agree welfare is over stated as the reason for the decline of the Black family.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
You haven't said not one negative thing about women and your post give a tone as though it's all men fault that relationships don't work. That is society's narrative. We are nothing but sperm donors. I'm not sitting here and saying that women are always at fault but again I believe the blame can be shared. There are plenty of gay women, plenty of women who have commitment issues, plenty of women who have emotional baggage, plenty of women choose to focus on things besides relationships, plenty of women who have multiple baby daddies, and plenty of women simply are not good at being wives or mothers. These things also contribute to singleness.
I responded to your question about what makes MEN eligible for women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans
Eligible black men? What makes a man eligible?
Then I elaborated as to why there are issues with black relationships and a lack of stable families, and how the black female has had to bear the heavy burden of trying to keep the family together without men in the home. Which alludes to the high rate of single mothers in our community raising families themselves. Since when did it become politically incorrect to acknowledge the strength of the black woman in our families and communities through 450 years of mess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland