Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
This doesn't surprise me.

Home in black neighborhoods: Appeals to only blacks (13% of pop) and maybe a small scattering of other races looking for affordable real estate
Home in white neighborhoods: Appeals to whites (75% of pop), Asians, Hispanics and even some Blacks

White neighborhoods would therefore have exponentially more demand and an exponentially larger market.

Personally, I love middle class black communities. I love the fact that they exist and prove that not all black areas have to be impoverished hellholes as well as being places that exist that don't make you feel awkward just for being your skin color but unfortunately, they're just not sustainable anymore and it really hurts me to agree with this article..

** You also have to take into account that blacks in white communities have much higher interracial marriage rates, so even if a black person does move into a 'higher appreciation' area, there is an extremely high probability of that wealth not even being redistributed among blacks.

Sadly, it's a lose-lose situation for blacks.
That is the inconvenient truth about interracial marriages most do not want to discuss because it is politically incorrect to do so. The theory (among Blacks) is that this is one of the reasons that interracial relationships are pushed so hard in the mainstream media, and why civil unions (LGBT) are being pushed heavily as well. But, you didn't hear that from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 12:15 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
What about housing discrimination and where Blacks often qualify for loans to buy homes at, or is that no longer going on (or just not as obvious as it used to be). I know redlining is illegal, but I often wonder.
These things have been debated on here before, and the opinions on each of these varies depending on who you ask. In my opinion, I believe redlining is something that does happen and perhaps because of articles like this. If white people believe their housing value is impacted by certain groups of people moving in, then they will do their best to keep them out. I honestly believe it's more of a class issue than race though. That is of course debatable.

As far as housing discrimination, I'm not sure where that fits in the conversation. On one hand you could argue that getting those ARM mortgages allowed those individuals who got them, to buy in places where they normally would not be able to afford to. On the other hand, it also lead to many people foreclosing because they could not afford to keep up with the payments and of course that trickles down to property value in that particular area. You can argue that it could have helped or hurt certain neighborhoods.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:22 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
My guess would be the posters who tend to treat this forum like an ongoing case study and master's thesis defense on the financial social, behavioral patterns of black people in Prince George's county.
It seems like the same old posts over and over...

I'll go out on a limb and say most of the people who comment on a regular "get" the issues... while they may argue about this and that, you can tell they care and are passionate about DC/VA/MD.

There are great comments... but the issue is there is never a solution or plan of action. It is all just talk (or typing rather)... there is not a next step... just another similar post weeks later.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:25 PM

I agree that these conversations become repetitive but I thought this might spark some kind of discussion given that this was a new article. I had a few friends on social media that shared this article so I thought it might engage people at least some. The problem with this section of the site is unless it is something controversial like this, or it's about National Harbor or Montgomery County, this part of the website would be dead. Outside of talking about National Harbor and Montgomery County, this section has been relatively dead for months. People complain about the topics and what is being discussed, but never contribute anything themselves. If you have such a problem with the discussion why even post?

What frustrates me even more about this section is I have made attempts to post less controversial things and no one ever responds, but as soon as I post something like this all people want to do is complain. What exactly are you doing that is resolving this issue of repetitive topics?

I would love to talk about something that is remotely stimulating and even positive, but when I do, people do not care to respond. This is the only way I spark conversation and it's sad because the only reason why I still come on this part of the site is because this is the part of the site I'm most knowledgeable about. I just wish, if you want better topics to DO SOMETHING about it instead of complaining on here. It's getting old.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:19 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
It seems like the same old posts over and over...

I'll go out on a limb and say most of the people who comment on a regular "get" the issues... while they may argue about this and that, you can tell they care and are passionate about DC/VA/MD.

There are great comments... but the issue is there is never a solution or plan of action. It is all just talk (or typing rather)... there is not a next step... just another similar post weeks later.
What is there to solve? We are just discussing. If it doesn't interest you don't engage.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:44 AM

795 posts, read 1,268,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What is there to solve? We are just discussing. If it doesn't interest you don't engage.
There are lots of issues resolve. If you care to only talk, then that is fine as well. But I think some are starting to see the issue others have raised in this post and think about how it helps the forum.

There is value in having a discussion on how topics are discussed.... granted, that might be another topic altogether though.

BUT if the topic did not interest me then I would not be here... you don't get to choose HOW I engage.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:33 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Not to go off base, but I want to add that this is the reason why I disagree strongly with raising the minimum wage. Those jobs pay low for a reason and people who try to raise families off of these jobs will struggle no matter how much you raise wages. More than that, these jobs are unstable because to a company it's not worth paying extra money to marginal employees and giving them extra benefits when you can easily get someone off the street that can work that job tomorrow and would be willing to work for a lot less. The only way you overcome poverty, working unstable low-wage jobs, and gain financial stability is creating a market for yourself by having skills that are in demand. Working as a cashier at McDonald's should not be someone's goal to raise a family I am sorry. That mentality needs to change but it starts with voters and the people we elect.

How does the politicians elected to office factor in changing the mindset of anyone? Are you suggesting it be government's role to nurture people further along than it already does? Don't people have the mental capacity to do so for themselves or has the educational system successfully reprogrammed them?
Government cannot stimulate the economy as government does not create jobs. Government creates worker bee positions under the grand umbrella of 'government employment' but that proves there is little employment in the private sector. Government isn't stimulating the economy so must invent jobs. Not everyone is privileged enough to warrant one of those overpaid positions. Why overpaid? Gee, I have lived in the area for 40 years and have seen too many employed by the government - directly or by contract - who do little of any worth and receive salaries they never earned. At the same time I have seen people who can work circles around those government employees never receive their true worth.

If people would get out and vote someone worthwhile into office it would be a refreshing change but that would mean putting conservative/libertarian candidates in those positions.

Imagine the horrors that would ensue.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
How does the politicians elected to office factor in changing the mindset of anyone? Are you suggesting it be government's role to nurture people further along than it already does? Don't people have the mental capacity to do so for themselves or has the educational system successfully reprogrammed them?
Government cannot stimulate the economy as government does not create jobs. Government creates worker bee positions under the grand umbrella of 'government employment' but that proves there is little employment in the private sector. Government isn't stimulating the economy so must invent jobs. Not everyone is privileged enough to warrant one of those overpaid positions. Why overpaid? Gee, I have lived in the area for 40 years and have seen too many employed by the government - directly or by contract - who do little of any worth and receive salaries they never earned. At the same time I have seen people who can work circles around those government employees never receive their true worth.

If people would get out and vote someone worthwhile into office it would be a refreshing change but that would mean putting conservative/libertarian candidates in those positions.

Imagine the horrors that would ensue.
These current leaders are enabling people who believe working minimum wage jobs should be a means to raise a family regardless of what area they live in. I can certainly understand it in some far out rural area, but close to major cities, it is just not realistic for people to have that expectation. Instead of raising minimum wage, there should be more emphasis on adding skills which will allow these individuals to make more money and give them a better chance of maintaining stable employment. We are starting to see areas which have Democratic lead pushing this, and unfortunately that is the kind of areas that blacks live in as well. Not a lot of thinking outside the box going on. We need less people who are dependent on assistance and the only way you do that is by making people self-sufficient.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:34 PM

195 posts, read 177,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans
These current leaders are enabling people who believe working minimum wage jobs should be a means to raise a family regardless of what area they live in. I can certainly understand it in some far out rural area, but close to major cities, it is just not realistic for people to have that expectation. Instead of raising minimum wage, there should be more emphasis on adding skills which will allow these individuals to make more money and give them a better chance of maintaining stable employment. We are starting to see areas which have Democratic lead pushing this, and unfortunately that is the kind of areas that blacks live in as well. Not a lot of thinking outside the box going on. We need less people who are dependent on assistance and the only way you do that is by making people self-sufficient.
It seems every solution to a problem is about more taxation, with the majority coming from the middle. At least, that's where it winds up because you aren't going to strong arm multi billion dollar corporations into handing over their wealth to the common man. Not when they have their hand in your back pocket. It's all rhetoric.

As you stated, the profit margin on these jobs were never intended to support anyone trying to raise a family and now all of a sudden, in one fell swoop, raising wages across the board is going to solve the issue?

People think the economy is going to sit idly by with such a huge sweeping change? Can we press a pause button on inflation?

Follow the money. If raising the federal minimum wage ever takes off (to the extent they claim), guess who's going to be footing the bill. *Hint* It won't be McDonald's.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:59 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post

All good points but there is no way to circle that many wagons to confront the problems. $10hr in Cornfield, Iowa would be like $25 here. There is no way it is going to make a difference near any metropolis.
As far as adding skills - why are there no apprenticeship programs where young people learn a trade/vocation. When I was out of HS I went through an apprenticeship program to become a brick mason. I don't know of any brick masons these days and my brother owns a construction company. Over the years we watched as illegals took over most of the construction trades, for little or no money, and that became the norm. The apprenticeship programs for the trades fell to the wayside when it became apparent the companies needn't shell out dollars to train people properly to do the job. It was all English speaking Americans in my day.
Your last 3 sentences were alluding me until I tied in the Democratic leadership aspect and the title of the thread. It then slapped me and shook me awake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland