Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,104 times

Advertisements

The discussion we've been having about "Upscale Dining in PGC"....has me wondering.....
-- is PGC trying to compete to be something it's just not going to be?
-- is it fair (whatever that means) to compare PGC to Mont. Co. or Fairfax County?

-- And if that's being done, then who's doing the comparing?...PGC residents? Must be, because I don't think others who are non-PGC residents in the metro area give PG a second thought -- they don't think about it enough to invest the mental time in comparing it to anything.

Sometimes I think PGC has NOTHING going for it....but is that reality, or just 'perception?' .
Actually it DOES have lower housing prices.but that's about it...and people say you know WHY?.....

People will say the schools aren't good, the ENTIRE COUNTY is (many times) stigmatized by the 'social issues' that some inside the beltway areas that border DC maybe (even that's nowhere near most of the county), and it doesn't have the retail or dining options of other counties that border DC........but then again:

-- should PGC TRY to be Mont. Co or Fairfax? (Or even Anne Arundel?)
-- should it continue to be compared to those areas.

Is CHARLES county trying to be Mont. Co or suffering from comparisons? If not, then why is PGC?
Why do we ask ourselves how is it that Anne Arundel and Howard county can have things we don't have?

And for example in VA.... are Loudoun and Prince William counties trying to be or compete with Fairfax Co.?
Are Loudoun residents talking about what their county doesn't have or how it's perceived as compared to Fairfax Co. (Although that's not QUITE the same because Loudoun and Charles are a bit farther out and don't NEIGHBOR DC? And so the 'DC metro focus is much less.)

(Same for the PGC to Anne Arundel or Howard County comparisons...where the DC focus is less)

As a PGC resident, I'm wondering if it's not just me -- and collectively we as PGC residents -- who bemoan what the county doesn't have. And I'm asking myself if people in Charles Co, or Prince William or Loudon county doe that ....or is it just us?

And even is if is...maybe it's just human nature to compare oneself, when one sees that others have things you don't have.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 02:18 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
The discussion we've been having about "Upscale Dining in PGC"....has me wondering.....
-- is PGC trying to compete to be something it's just not going to be?
-- is it fair (whatever that means) to compare PGC to Mont. Co. or Fairfax County?
The DC suburb comparisons are fair, namely because they are all DC suburbs and their economies feed off of the Federal Government to a large degree. This includes contractors and corporations that do a lot of business with the Federal Government. Federal employees can be found living in the surrounding counties as well. They are all within the same geographical and trade areas. So, I think comparisons are fair.

Quote:
-- And if that's being done, then who's doing the comparing?...PGC residents? Must be, because I don't think others who are non-PGC residents in the metro area give PG a second thought -- they don't think about it enough to invest the mental time in comparing it to anything.
Most of the DC area makes comparisons because there IS competition between the three being so intertwined in the influence of federal leasing and contracting. Or from corporations wanting to be closer to the federal government. So, they compete for these industries all being within 30 minutes of downtown DC.

Quote:
Sometimes I think PGC has NOTHING going for it....but is that reality, or just 'perception?' .
Actually it DOES have lower housing prices.but that's about it...and people say you know WHY?.....
PGC actually has a lot going for it.

1. As you stated, it is cheaper than the rest of the DC area.
2. It has 15 metro stations and will gain 10.5 light rail transit stations when the Purple Line is complete.
Quote:
3. “Between the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center and the University of Maryland, Prince George’s County has the largest concentration of global climate change scientists in the world,”
4. It has the state's flagship university which is a respected public ivy research university
5. Bowie State University
5. NOAA, NASA, IRS, FDA, Census, etc.
6. It boasts a convention and entertainment district in National Harbor that is starting to compete with destinations such as Baltimore's Inner Harbor and DC for convention business.
7. It has a great park and trail system. (room for improvements)
8. Decreasing crime rate
9. If I'm not mistaken, there is more good news coming out of the school system.
10. $50 million economic development fund (the highest in the area) It would be nice to get an update on how that has impacted business in the county though.
11. We're getting a regional research and teaching hospital.
Others feel free to add to the list...

If the county can continue to build on those assets, I think it has a lot going for it. Consider developers investing in the northern half of the county around College Park and Hyattsville. And for the first time in a long time there is wide consensus that the best fit for the FBI relocation is within Prince George's County. We are starting to see businesses locate in PGC first. Also, we are seeing retail only found in other counties starting to locate here. That list continues to grow on a monthly basis.

Quote:
People will say the schools aren't good, the ENTIRE COUNTY is (many times) stigmatized by the 'social issues' that some inside the beltway areas that border DC maybe (even that's nowhere near most of the county), and it doesn't have the retail or dining options of other counties that border DC........but then again:

-- should PGC TRY to be Mont. Co or Fairfax? (Or even Anne Arundel?)
-- should it continue to be compared to those areas.
No. PGC should not try to become something that its not. Having said that, it doesn't mean that PGC shouldn't have quality retail options, good schools, good hospitals, etc. But I think PGC has its own character and can build on that character. We don't need a Tyson's Corner or an Old Town. But if we provide the amenities, in whatever form, that those areas provide, I think that's a start.

I'm glad that there is no comparison to National Harbor in the DC area. And when MGM is complete, that will further differentiate National Harbor from any other water district in the DC area.

I want PGC to develop it's own character to where people start saying, "Why can't we be like PGC?" Sounds like a pipe dream, I know. But I love an underdog.

In closing, I think it is perfectly fine to compare PGC to the other counties.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:36 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The DC suburb comparisons are fair, namely because they are all DC suburbs and their economies feed off of the Federal Government to a large degree. This includes contractors and corporations that do a lot of business with the Federal Government. Federal employees can be found living in the surrounding counties as well. They are all within the same geographical and trade areas. So, I think comparisons are fair.

Most of the DC area makes comparisons because there IS competition between the three being so intertwined in the influence of federal leasing and contracting. Or from corporations wanting to be closer to the federal government. So, they compete for these industries all being within 30 minutes of downtown DC.

PGC actually has a lot going for it.

1. As you stated, it is cheaper than the rest of the DC area.
2. It has 15 metro stations and will gain 10.5 light rail transit stations when the Purple Line is complete.

4. It has the state's flagship university which is a respected public ivy research university
5. Bowie State University
5. NOAA, NASA, IRS, FDA, Census, etc.
6. It boasts a convention and entertainment district in National Harbor that is starting to compete with destinations such as Baltimore's Inner Harbor and DC for convention business.
7. It has a great park and trail system. (room for improvements)
8. Decreasing crime rate
9. If I'm not mistaken, there is more good news coming out of the school system.
10. $50 million economic development fund (the highest in the area) It would be nice to get an update on how that has impacted business in the county though.
11. We're getting a regional research and teaching hospital.
Others feel free to add to the list...

If the county can continue to build on those assets, I think it has a lot going for it. Consider developers investing in the northern half of the county around College Park and Hyattsville. And for the first time in a long time there is wide consensus that the best fit for the FBI relocation is within Prince George's County. We are starting to see businesses locate in PGC first. Also, we are seeing retail only found in other counties starting to locate here. That list continues to grow on a monthly basis.

No. PGC should not try to become something that its not. Having said that, it doesn't mean that PGC shouldn't have quality retail options, good schools, good hospitals, etc. But I think PGC has its own character and can build on that character. We don't need a Tyson's Corner or an Old Town. But if we provide the amenities, in whatever form, that those areas provide, I think that's a start.

I'm glad that there is no comparison to National Harbor in the DC area. And when MGM is complete, that will further differentiate National Harbor from any other water district in the DC area.

I want PGC to develop it's own character to where people start saying, "Why can't we be like PGC?" Sounds like a pipe dream, I know. But I love an underdog.

In closing, I think it is perfectly fine to compare PGC to the other counties.
+1000 Studious as always!

Old 05-16-2014, 07:56 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
I agree with much of adelphi has said, but I will add on some other thoughts

Quote:
Is CHARLES county trying to be Mont. Co or suffering from comparisons? If not, then why is PGC?
Why do we ask ourselves how is it that Anne Arundel and Howard county can have things we don't have?
I think Charles County is just attempting to be an affordable option and not necessarily trying to compete with Montgomery County. PG is different than the other counties that you named because it has such an extreme variance in income. You have some really poor parts and some really rich parts of PG. Those other places are mostly higher income places, with a few areas as exceptions. The amount of money in some of the parts of Anne Arundel and Howard County would blow PG out the water. PG has it's lane as an affordable option in the DC area, but it is a bit more economically diverse than Charles County.

Quote:
And for example in VA.... are Loudoun and Prince William counties trying to be or compete with Fairfax Co.?
Are Loudoun residents talking about what their county doesn't have or how it's perceived as compared to Fairfax Co. (Although that's not QUITE the same because Loudoun and Charles are a bit farther out and don't NEIGHBOR DC? And so the 'DC metro focus is much less.)

(Same for the PGC to Anne Arundel or Howard County comparisons...where the DC focus is less)
Hmmm...living in VA now, I feel like the relationship between the three places you named are different than the counties in MD. I think each county has it's own identity and they are three very distinct areas. Prince William County is the more affordable of the three, but it in some ways has a similar reputation to PG, but not to the same degree. There are people in the other two counties that think PWC is a cesspool and they look at parts of Woodbridge, Dumfries and parts of Manassas kind of like people look at the inner parts of the beltway. Loudoun County, which is the wealthiest county in the country, doesn't have the retail that Fairfax has, but the county seems to embrace their wine country and has a lot of rural parts. Fairfax is just big on retail, quality schools and diversity. The thing about each of these places is they have an identity. PG doesn't quite have an identity that it's ready to embrace.

Quote:
As a PGC resident, I'm wondering if it's not just me -- and collectively we as PGC residents -- who bemoan what the county doesn't have. And I'm asking myself if people in Charles Co, or Prince William or Loudon county doe that ....or is it just us?

And even is if is...maybe it's just human nature to compare oneself, when one sees that others have things you don't have.....
I think there are some bare minimum things that I am sure that the residents in PG want and should get. Having retail in the southern part of the county has been a big problem and Tanger Outlet addresses some of that, but I am sure residents want more things. Those things make a difference in how comfortable the county is for people. Schools are huge too. If you want to have an affordable community where families can raise their kids, you need good schools. I think the vision is there, but it hasn't been realized, but once it's there, the county will have a clearer identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland