Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times

Advertisements

The stae of MD charges me roughly $160 every two years to renew my truck title. I guess I have to wear their plates to show off the money I spend. The only reason I can assume they require both tags is for speed cameras - the innocuous models that look like a neighborhood mailbox is the camera to look for as they catch your front tag. The trailer with a tower models catch your rear tag.
It is a wonder prostitution isn't legal in MD so the state could put a tax on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:21 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
I've never gotten ticket showing the front plate, only the rear.

MSP are the ones who want the front tags, they can get the number coming and going. Gov. Shaffer wanted to get rid of them but got tremendous pushback from the State Police.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:46 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The stae of MD charges me roughly $160 every two years to renew my truck title. I guess I have to wear their plates to show off the money I spend. The only reason I can assume they require both tags is for speed cameras - the innocuous models that look like a neighborhood mailbox is the camera to look for as they catch your front tag. The trailer with a tower models catch your rear tag.
It is a wonder prostitution isn't legal in MD so the state could put a tax on it.
Two plates were required long before speed cameras were invented.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:10 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,104 times
Maybe they do -- but I didn't think any speed cams catch front tags.

The way the cams are set up. you're clocked as you go through the speed zone.
(With the front tag you won't have gone through the zone yet.)

Old 06-10-2014, 07:09 AM

35 posts, read 86,147 times
The way I have heard it. You are required to put a front plate on your vehicle, if your state issues 2 license plates with the registration card to you when you register your vehicle. Just because your driving around in another state doesn't mean that you can ignore the laws of your home state that your vehicle is registered in. The police told me that they can write tickets for not having a front license plate if say the vehicle was registered through california.

When I asked a trooper about tint at the MVA, he informed me "anytime a vehicle is modified from the original condition of the manufacturer, you can almost guarantee if your stopped for a violation that something may get issued to you, either a repair order or citation, or both." He said an example might be those headlights that appear "blue" or have a bluish tint to them. Window tint on the windows. Customizing a motorcycle and raising the handlebars to make them "apehangers."

Now wouldn't adding a front license plate bracket to your vehicle be modifying it from the original condition? But the law also states that you must have 2 license plates attached to the front and rear of the vehicle, visible 50' from the plate, uncovered. So I would think that hiding a front plate in a windshield is tacky and illegal. Doesn't leave someone with many options.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:48 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonsenseDMV View Post

Now wouldn't adding a front license plate bracket to your vehicle be modifying it from the original condition?
Nope. That's not a modification. Even if it was, the cop isn't going to cite you for that modification". However, it is not a modification if the manufacturer designed the car for two plates and provides a bracket you can get at a dealer.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbo123 View Post
Do I need to put a license plate on my out of state vehicle in light of the Maryland law that states a front plate is not necessary to attach if the car was manufactured without the means to display one? The car does not come with a bracket or mounts for a front plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonsenseDMV View Post
The way I have heard it. You are required to put a front plate on your vehicle, if your state issues 2 license plates with the registration card to you when you register your vehicle. Just because your driving around in another state doesn't mean that you can ignore the laws of your home state that your vehicle is registered in. The police told me that they can write tickets for not having a front license plate if say the vehicle was registered through California.

OP - Is your car registered in Maryland or in another state?

OK, for a vehicle registered in Maryland, you need a front plate. But I thought that if a vehicle was registered in a state that does not require a front plate, and doesn't issue two plates, that one is not required to come up with a second plate and attach it to the front of the vehicle for driving within Maryland.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:14 AM

318 posts, read 762,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post

OK, for a vehicle registered in Maryland, you need a front plate. But I thought that if a vehicle was registered in a state that does not require a front plate, and doesn't issue two plates, that one is not required to come up with a second plate and attach it to the front of the vehicle for driving within Maryland.

If two plates are required (no matter what state), then they are to be affixed to the front and rear. If a state is a "one plate state" and doesn't require a front plate, then obviously that is not enforceable in Maryland.

Besides tint percentage and other specific equipment violations--which are unique state-by-state, Maryland's traffic laws are pretty much synonymous with other state's traffic laws.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:57 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
I believe the reason for the MSP want the front plate is so they have a good aiming point for their laser speed guns. The reflective nature of the paint gives them the best readings.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:45 PM

29 posts, read 73,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post

I bought the car in PA, but it's registered in MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland