Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 12:36 AM

64 posts, read 85,725 times

Advertisements

Considering moving back to the DMV area after living on the eastern shore of MD for about 12 years. Need a change of scenery... away from the ex husband. Just a bit concerned about a few things: I'm a public school teacher (so...NOT alot of money) and I'll be needing more space for my children. Every time I go back to visit something has changed so I don't even know where the "good" parts are anymore. Where can a single mom who is a teacher live and raise her children comfortably in the DMV area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 12:47 AM

2,193 posts, read 2,688,552 times
That's really vague - I don't think anyone will be able to help w/o knowing how many bedrooms you need (and whether you're thinking apt. or house) or what your budget is. In general, most everywhere in the DMV is better than it was 12 years ago. The one downside of that is prices reflect it and money doesn't go far in most of the region.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:49 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedab View Post
Where can a single mom who is a teacher live and raise her children comfortably in the DMV area?
Montgomery County has a housing program for people working in fields such as teaching and police work. Developers have to make a certain number of "affordable" units available to these households, but I don't remember the name of the program. Montgomery also pays experienced teachers decently.

You might also look into Frederick County both to live and work, as it is more affordable

Old 06-09-2014, 07:54 AM

I live in a duplex right now...haven't lived in an apartment since I moved from PG. I would be looking for 3-4 bedroom house to rent...I suppose I could go back to an apartment, especially since I like the idea of not cutting my own grass for a while. I went through some of the posts from the other "moving" thread and saw a LOT of high numbers for rent budgets. Again, as a teacher (and single mother), doing anything over $1800 is unrealistic. So...am I being unrealistic?

My mother, who lives in Calvert County, recommended I look into Baltimore instead. Maybe she's right...

Old 06-09-2014, 08:12 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
I live in a duplex right now...haven't lived in an apartment since I moved from PG. I would be looking for 3-4 bedroom house to rent...I suppose I could go back to an apartment, especially since I like the idea of not cutting my own grass for a while. I went through some of the posts from the other "moving" thread and saw a LOT of high numbers for rent budgets. Again, as a teacher (and single mother), doing anything over $1800 is unrealistic. So...am I being unrealistic?

My mother, who lives in Calvert County, recommended I look into Baltimore instead. Maybe she's right...

I think you may want to start out by figuring out where you want to teach, get that interview, and an offer and then look for places close to work. You can find cheap places to live, in PG and further out in other counties, but if you have to drive 45 minute to get to work, it may not be beneficial.

If you're getting child support, your options may be a little wider.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:30 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Again, as a teacher (and single mother), doing anything over $1800 is unrealistic. So...am I being unrealistic?
The rent budget is very tight for Montgomery County. You might find a townhouse in that range, but unlikely to find a large enough apartment.

Baltimore and Baltimore County are more affordable, but there are only a few places I would want to see my kids in school. Catonsville is one possibility with decent schools and somewhat affordable housing.

I agree with locating a job first, and the look for housing.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:53 PM

I'm applying for teaching positions in Baltimore County, Baltimore City...I was told that teaching in PG county isn't such a good idea... I'll add Howard County to that list.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:27 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
...I was told that teaching in PG county isn't such a good idea...

And not Baltimore City? Wow!

Old 06-09-2014, 03:47 PM

408 posts, read 723,764 times
where did you live in PG before you moved?

Old 06-10-2014, 09:38 AM

117 posts, read 234,382 times
Quote:
I'm applying for teaching positions in Baltimore County, Baltimore City...I was told that teaching in PG county isn't such a good idea... I'll add Howard County to that list.
PG has a bad rap and been trying to shake it off for some time now. Things have change big time. PG county may not as great as MoCo or Howard, but they re getting much better for both students and teachers. Many people in this area still have a negative notion of PG county and believe that it's still the bad county that it once was in the 90's and early 2000's. Trust me when I tell you that's not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland