Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 03:18 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

To each their own but learning Spanish doesn't seem aspirational to me as a middle class native English speaker. I'd rather learn French or Mandarin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 05:31 PM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropping_k View Post
They already have this in our schools... It's called ESOL.

BTW... I was in ESOL for 2 years and I was born and raised in the DC area. My parents raised me to speak mainly Spanish and I'm glad that they did. Both of my parents are US citizens and speak English, but we only speak Spanish at home. This is how I am raising my son too... I guess its a Latino thing.
It is also a French thing, Filipino thing, Chinese thing, whoever speaks Farsi thing, etc. Some Jewish people send their kids to Hebrew school. English is the primary language...if you want your child to retain the languages of one or both parents...you immerse them in it at home. They will get English everywhere else. I am not really addressing the issue of families who struggle with English but am talking about those who have a good command of both languages, are college graduates and are choosing to teach their children an additional language besides English. This area is very international. I hear parents speaking all kinds of languages with their children on the playgrounds that we frequent. Nannies that can speak and teach another language to their clients' kids command a premium.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:00 PM

The outlets to educate a child in this area in Mandarin are limited. We did explore it. There is one school in DC that is lottery based... So luck of the draw and must be a resident. I have one good friend, a sistah from Mississippi, who is fluent in Mandarin and it is due to studying abroad while in college. It is also one of the most difficult due to the tones and it is not based on familiar alphabet characters. You need intense immersion and need to create regular opportunities for your child to practice with native speakers to make it worth the effort. The top private international school in the area only offers Spanish and French with Mandarin as a third language option starting in 5th grade I believe. We quickly eliminated Mandarin as we didn't see a guaranteed way to study in this area for preK to 8. Our child does enjoy the language for fun though.

Last edited by TechlawyerinPG; 07-11-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 06:13 PM

Grammar police excuse my iPhone typing in advance.

The county already offers two French public options. Unlike surrounding counties, we did not have a Spanish option and now we do. When you investigate educating a child in another language in this area...Spanish and French are the most accessible choices. We considered French as well. In business and pleasure, I have not seen French as being more useful than Spanish as a resident of North America...which is impacted heavily by South America whether we like it or not. I have used my very basic French only when I went to France and did non touristy things. It really depends on your career goals. If you want a career in the Fashion industry...yes you should focus on French. If you learned Spanish, French will be easier for you to learn later. I can tell you my corporation spends a large amount of its marketing focus in Spanish speakers...next to nothing on French. Familiarity with Spanish language and culture is a huge benefit in those marketing jobs. In my work environment, MBAs and lawyers...those that studied French in school always say they wish they had studied Spanish instead as they have needed it more in life than French. This weighed heavily on our choice as I have heard this frequently. This is not a pick one and that is it forever option. It is simply a foundation to learn French or something else in high school and college and to create a love of learning other languages. For preK to 8...we chose Spanish...though via private school. Most of the kids in these schools are fluent by 4th grade and should be prepared to move on to another language by middle school. I enjoy studying other languages and I hope my kids have that love of learning as well. English is the dominant language in business...of course a strong command of that is the top priority.

Last edited by TechlawyerinPG; 07-11-2014 at 06:33 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 07:26 PM

117 posts, read 234,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
And then you turn around and expect taxpayers to foot the bill for ESOL because you chose not to teach your child English when you could have done so. A great compatriot you are, I tell ya.
I normally don't reply to snarky comments but NO! I did not ask the taxpayer to foot the bill when I was forcefully put in ESOL at the age of 5 years old. My parents did teach me English as well as Spanish. I attended a daycare where I also was taught English, but back in the late 80's in Montgomery County schools... if you were Latino with Spanish speaking parents, you were labeled and put in ESOL.

Either way the taxpayer is paying for your education to learn English. Weather it be in regular English class or ESOL.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechlawyerinPG View Post
It is also a French thing, Filipino thing, Chinese thing, whoever speaks Farsi thing, etc. Some Jewish people send their kids to Hebrew school. English is the primary language...if you want your child to retain the languages of one or both parents...you immerse them in it at home. They will get English everywhere else. I am not really addressing the issue of families who struggle with English but am talking about those who have a good command of both languages, are college graduates and are choosing to teach their children an additional language besides English. This area is very international. I hear parents speaking all kinds of languages with their children on the playgrounds that we frequent. Nannies that can speak and teach another language to their clients' kids command a premium.

I Agree! I also see the importance of a proper immersion program in foreign languages. I was raised speaking Spanish only at home and never actually had a proper education to learn the Spanish Language. Growing up here in the DC area, I do have the opportunity to speak it, but since I lacked classroom education in the language, I don’t speak it 100% correctly.

I knew several Koreans who sent their kids to Korean school on Saturday to study the language. I plan on doing something similar with my son.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
I normally don't reply to snarky comments but NO! I did not ask the taxpayer to foot the bill when I was forcefully put in ESOL at the age of 5 years old. My parents did teach me English as well as Spanish. I attended a daycare where I also was taught English, but back in the late 80's in Montgomery County schools... if you were Latino with Spanish speaking parents, you were labeled and put in ESOL.

Either way the taxpayer is paying for your education to learn English. Weather it be in regular English class or ESOL.
I think you completely missed my point regarding taxpayer funding to learn English. But nevermind. I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks that American taxpayers should have to pay for immigrants to learn English. On this point, we will never agree.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I think you completely missed my point regarding taxpayer funding to learn English. But nevermind. I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks that American taxpayers should have to pay for immigrants to learn English. On this point, we will never agree.
I never said the taxpayer should pay for immigrants to learn English.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
I never said the taxpayer should pay for immigrants to learn English.
Who do you think funds ESOL? Why do you think ESOL is necessary? It wouldn't be necessary if immigrants taught their children English. It wouldn't be necessary if immigrants held up their end of the bargain and adopted English as their new language. But because they don't, taxpayers are forced to fund ESOL.

As a taxpayer, I don't appreciate my tax dollars being diverted to teach you and your children to learn English when those limited dollars could have been used for something more productive.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Who do you think funds ESOL? Why do you think ESOL is necessary? It wouldn't be necessary if immigrants taught their children English. It wouldn't be necessary if immigrants held up their end of the bargain and adopted English as their new language. But because they don't, taxpayers are forced to fund ESOL.

As a taxpayer, I don't appreciate my tax dollars being diverted to teach you and your children to learn English when those limited dollars could have been used for something more productive.
First of all... Assuming someone who is in ESOL as an immigrant or a child of a immigrant is ignorant.

Second...most of the immigrants I met here in Maryland work and pay taxes.

So you don't appreciate your tax dollars being used to teach my children to speak English... ok thank you for sharing. Perhaps you should attend a school board meeting and vocally advocate to eliminate the ESOL programs from our schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland