Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:51 PM

251 posts, read 934,019 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed them when they first opened. They were never crowded and it was easy to get to from my house. It's been a few months since I shopped there. My family went over the weekend and it was downright intimidating. Guards in most stores, security out the wazoo. An attempted theft of our just-purchased merchandise when we were at Gap. Incredibly rude salespeople. We had planned to shop for a while, but left after three stores. What happened there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
This thread should be re-posted/moved to the DC suburbs in MD forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...urbs-maryland/

Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
it's in maryland, nuff said

Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
This thread should be re-posted/moved to the DC suburbs in MD forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...urbs-maryland/
Done. (Moved from the Northern Virginia forum.)

Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 AM

566 posts, read 1,557,208 times
Can't say that I'm super surprised. It never seemed like a very well-planned development to begin with. I mean, 40 stores and nowhere to eat but a tiny Johnny Rockett's with like 10 tables... really?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:41 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Can't say that I'm super surprised. It never seemed like a very well-planned development to begin with. I mean, 40 stores and nowhere to eat but a tiny Johnny Rockett's with like 10 tables... really?
Its actually 85 stores and the food options were always designed to encourage people to leverage the Harbor and whatever food options would come with the planned hotel, MGM and the food options planned at the vacant plats that surround the MGM parcel. I was also speaking to one of the store manager's who know Tanger and she stated that is how most of his properties are. Most of the food options lie outside of the outlet to optimize the space dedicated to retail. The problem is that the area directly outside of the outlet has not been built up yet so it is more noticeable there.

I am not surprised about the level of security since the county, Peterson, and Tanger want to make sure that any crime is minimized. Remember this outlet is in an urban suburb and very close to the city so you are going to see more antics than you would see in the x-urban area. As for customer service....well that echoes the DC Metro area. Most of the attitudes that you see in the stores are reflective of the people that live in the metro area (remember more that PG County residents work at the outlet).

Old 07-08-2014, 01:50 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,824 times
I haven't been there, but is there free parking? I remember someone said it was all metered parking and pretty scarce.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:53 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
I haven't been there, but is there free parking? I remember someone said it was all metered parking and pretty scarce.
This is one big difference between National Harbor and Mosaic at Merrifield--and why many folks (like me) will never go to National Harbor.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
This is one big difference between National Harbor and Mosaic at Merrifield--and why many folks (like me) will never go to National Harbor.
I can't say I care for the National Harbor. It's just not my cup of tea at all. However, we have gone few times and I don't recall it feeling dangerous, in a police state, etc.

Is that what people are saying about it? It just seems like an overpriced suburban development full of chains to me.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:51 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Parking is free. There are no meters at the outlet mall. National Harbor itself is a different story. The only way to avoid parking fees is to park outside and walk in.

I've been to the outlet mall a few times. I've never seen any significant security presence except for a county police car in the parking lot. Staff at the few stores I've visited have been uniformly polite. When I walk in the door, an employee almost always greets me and asks if I'd like help. When I decline, they ask me to let them know if I want any help later and they don't hover. My impression is that a lot of the employees are inexperienced, but that their customer service training has been pretty good.

I'm not a huge fan of National Harbor, but I visit pretty frequently during boating season. My 3-year-old likes the carousel, so I often take her there by boat. She rides the carousel or climbs on "The Awakening" and we have lunch or ice cream before more boating or fishing and going home. We recently rode the ferris wheel (which she loved). The marina staff is always pleasant and helpful and when one of the Fireboats was there, the firemen invited my daughter aboard. Dock fees are $30 for four hours on weekends (half that on weekdays), which is more or less in line with Alexandria's municipal marina across the river ($20 for four hours all week).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland