Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:42 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,870,436 times

Advertisements

School is not in session so I am led to believe these cameras take in so much revenue the county cannot wean itself off them during the summer months. I get tired of people slamming on their brakes to slow down for them.
Anyone else have a peeve with these things when school is not in session?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 05:12 PM

7,078 posts, read 9,530,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
School is not in session so I am led to believe these cameras take in so much revenue the county cannot wean itself off them during the summer months. I get tired of people slamming on their brakes to slow down for them.
Anyone else have a peeve with these things when school is not in session?
I think those cameras are perfectly reasonable. The speed limits being enforced through summer helps create habits in drivers to slow down in those school zones.

Now, what I don't like are those cameras that are in places where pedestrians aren't even found; no crosswalks, nada. And rarely any accidents. Those need to be removed.

For example, students have been getting picked off in downtown College Park in the bar district, yet the cameras are at the 193 junction. Go figure.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I think those cameras are perfectly reasonable. The speed limits being enforced through summer helps create habits in drivers to slow down in those school zones.

Now, what I don't like are those cameras that are in places where pedestrians aren't even found; no crosswalks, nada. And rarely any accidents. Those need to be removed.

For example, students have been getting picked off in downtown College Park in the bar district, yet the cameras are at the 193 junction. Go figure.
They are on just about every small back road in the Ft Washington, Clinton and Ackokeek areas. There are no people near the things, much less pedestrians. The revenue is too good to pass up. This was the initial point of my posting.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:43 PM

631 posts, read 1,392,365 times
A lot of schools mainly Elementary Schools, especially located in Northern PG are located near Residential Neighborhoods. Most of the Elementary Schools are utilized for Summer Camps or have the neighborhood kids playing the basketball courts. Speed Cameras are essential, would you rather pay $40 for a ticket or $400,000 for a lawsuit from hitting a child??

Old 07-13-2014, 05:00 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,950,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

I agree with your last two points. It seems like their intentions, as is with most places who use these, aren't pure. If they really wanted to deal with safety, that area in College Park should have been addressed years ago.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
A lot of schools mainly Elementary Schools, especially located in Northern PG are located near Residential Neighborhoods. Most of the Elementary Schools are utilized for Summer Camps or have the neighborhood kids playing the basketball courts. Speed Cameras are essential, would you rather pay $40 for a ticket or $400,000 for a lawsuit from hitting a child??
There is one in Accokeek that is on Piscataway Road. The only thing over there is a church. It's not a walkable area, no crosswalk and yet they have a camera over there. Those are the type of places that make 0 sense.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:12 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,010,529 times
The debate about whether these cameras are about safety vs revenue is long settled in my mind.
It's about money. Cameras in places where there are no pedestrians is proof of that for me.

So drivers speed, and slow down for the camera, go a safe distance and go back up to the speed they were doing.
Sorry that you hate that people do that, Amory. But if you know the camera is there you know that's what drivers are going to do. Doesn't make any less a PITA, but hey.....it is what it is.

DC now has INTERSECTION speed cameras.
So now you can can a ticket speeding up to get through the light that you don't want to get a ticket for going through.
Can't wait till I can leave DC for good.....

I don't know the exact area, but there were posts about two drivers who had cameras in their vehicles to show their speedometer -- and yet they got camera tickets for speeds much higher. I think it was a camera some place near College Park or Oxon Hill or someplace. TWO people it happened to.
Their dash cams clearly showed they were going 30 -- and they got tickets for going over 40!

The police have cameras on their cars -- do WE civilians need cameras on OURS too to prove cops and cameras are wrong? Damn.

A cop gave a guy in some small hick town in PA a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign....it was dismissed after the driver's dash cam CLEARLY shows he stopped.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post

There is one in Accokeek that is on Piscataway Road. The only thing over there is a church. It's not a walkable area, no crosswalk and yet they have a camera over there. Those are the type of places that make 0 sense.
You get it and mention one of those I question. Though there is a school at the church, all the camera does is calm traffic coming through the intersection and there should be a traffic light for that purpose as people run stop signs.The speed limit is 30 and people creep through there doing 10 mph. I have yet to see pedestrian activity in that area and I have driven the road for decades.

I also question the camera in Clinton on Kirby Road near the sand/gravel pit. There is no pedestrian activity there.

One of my favorites is on Allentown Road for Tayac Elem School where the county has set up a camera on the side of the road in front of the school and another across the street in front of Friendly fire dept. People drive at breakneck speed up to that point and slam on brakes as if the cameras just grew there when they all know full well they are there. The camera down the road by Friendly HS is great as well.

There is one in Clinton on Thrift Road near Waldon Woods ES - one of the permanent stealth cameras that appears to be a mail/telephone/cable box at first glance. I imagine a lot of people get nabbed at that one. I will look for more of those but only near newer developments where utilities are underground.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
The debate about whether these cameras are about safety vs revenue is long settled in my mind.
It's about money. Cameras in places where there are no pedestrians is proof of that for me.

So drivers speed, and slow down for the camera, go a safe distance and go back up to the speed they were doing.
Sorry that you hate that people do that, Amory. But if you know the camera is there you know that's what drivers are going to do. Doesn't make any less a PITA, but hey.....it is what it is.

DC now has INTERSECTION speed cameras.
So now you can can a ticket speeding up to get through the light that you don't want to get a ticket for going through.
Can't wait till I can leave DC for good.....

I don't know the exact area, but there were posts about two drivers who had cameras in their vehicles to show their speedometer -- and yet they got camera tickets for speeds much higher. I think it was a camera some place near College Park or Oxon Hill or someplace. TWO people it happened to.
Their dash cams clearly showed they were going 30 -- and they got tickets for going over 40!

The police have cameras on their cars -- do WE civilians need cameras on OURS too to prove cops and cameras are wrong? Damn.

A cop gave a guy in some small hick town in PA a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign....it was dismissed after the driver's dash cam CLEARLY shows he stopped.
It was actually in Morningside. Here's the article about what you are talking about:

Drivers' videos show Morningside speed-camera problems - WTOP.com

Old 07-13-2014, 09:30 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,046,228 times
For some reason, I can't get the link to work. But type "Forest Heights Speed Cameras" to watch a video news clip about victims seriously questioning the accuracy of one local speed camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland