Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,105 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I got accepted to the University of Baltimore Law School. I'm unfamiliar with Maryland. I'm looking for an apartment in a city that is SAFE and halfway to both Baltimore and Washington D.C. I have looked at Silver springs but it doesn't seem safe on the internet. Do you have any suggestions. I have a car so I'm willing to drive to school.
Any suggestions and safe areas. I would be thankful if you could help me.
Also is the area around campus safe too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniah View Post
Hi.

I got accepted to the University of Baltimore Law School. I'm unfamiliar with Maryland. I'm looking for an apartment in a city that is SAFE and halfway to both Baltimore and Washington D.C. I have looked at Silver springs but it doesn't seem safe on the internet. Do you have any suggestions. I have a car so I'm willing to drive to school.
Kinda depends on what your definition of "city" is and what your definition of "safe" is. It sounds like you're best off looking in a residential area (if a family-oriented suburb like Silver Spring (not "Springs") seems too dangerous then you certainly won't find most urban areas suitable). I'd recommend Columbia, MD (primarily residential w/a mall as well) or Ellicott City, MD (nice, small town commercial area surrounded by residential). Best of luck at UBalt.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:44 AM

581 posts, read 1,171,955 times
Silver Spring has good and bad areas, but it is a pretty bad commute to Baltimore. I would recommend Columbia, Ellicott City, or Hanover

Old 07-20-2014, 09:51 PM

772 posts, read 1,141,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniah View Post
Hi.

Why not just live in Baltimore? Do you have kids or something?

Old 07-20-2014, 09:56 PM

772 posts, read 1,141,723 times
I forgot. Laurel, Maryland may be what you have in mind. There are some pretty nice apartment communites off of Cherry Lane and St. Route 1.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:19 PM

137 posts, read 277,546 times
silver spring is a close-in suburb of dc. it would make no sense to live there. there's really no fun city in between dc and baltimore, but i think columbia, md makes the most sense. there's enough to do there, but you'll need a car to get around. keep in mind it's family-oriented, though, but you'll be close enough to old town ellicott city which has a few bars and restaurants to go to.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:10 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
Look into the Piney Orchard development in Odenton (21113).

Old 07-21-2014, 07:09 AM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
I forgot. Laurel, Maryland may be what you have in mind. There are some pretty nice apartment communites off of Cherry Lane and St. Route 1.
By the old Laurel Mall? In fact, I would not recommend most of Laurel.
Ellicott City, Columbia, and Catonsville will be much better choices.

OP - Forget Silver Spring. The commute will stress you out more than you want to be.
I do not think the city is bad for the most part.

I'd also consider Baltimore but be careful and check out the area.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:09 PM

83 posts, read 130,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
By the old Laurel Mall? In fact, I would not recommend most of Laurel.
Ellicott City, Columbia, and Catonsville will be much better choices.

OP - Forget Silver Spring. The commute will stress you out more than you want to be.
I do not think the city is bad for the most part.

I'd also consider Baltimore but be careful and check out the area.
Why specifically do you recommend against Laurel?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:38 AM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clea6243 View Post
Why specifically do you recommend against Laurel?
Crime.

I don't trust the area. Some developments/neighborhoods are not bad. The area around the old Laurel Mall is not a place I would move to. Nor would I move to the area off and on Route 197 but the apartments on Contee Road may be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland