Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,453 times

Advertisements

I'm a young, single professional looking to purchase his first home. I'm thinking about buying a home in Palmer Park MD right off Matthew Henson. I hear lots of the things about the area from people I've talked to. A lot of the stories I hear seem to be from years ago like around 2007ish.

Anybody familiar with the area present-day. There's crime everywhere, but just looking for some more options, don't want my new house broken into soon as I get moved in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,453 times
So... three months later still no opinions?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:45 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
I'd be concerned if the home can maintain its value than crime. If the area is not good many people will write it off which means your home won't appreciate much if at all.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:46 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordboogie View Post
So... three months later still no opinions?
The problem I have is finding Palmer Park. It shares the zip code 20785 with Landover, Cheverly and Hyattsville, so real estate searches do not turn up anything. I looked the street-views, and some streets look better than others. I suggest avoiding the streets with broken-down chain-link fences and pitbulls in the yards.

How much can you afford to spend on the house? I suspect there are better options than Palmer Park if you can afford something in the $165K or up range. There are some nicely renovated townhouses with Landover or Cheverly addresses.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'd be concerned if the home can maintain its value than crime. If the area is not good many people will write it off which means your home won't appreciate much if at all.
Agreed. I was trying to get Zillow to tell me whether they expect any appreciation in the area. If the homes do not appreciate, then buying is not a good business decision. A good Realtor should be able to find sales data for Palmer Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland