Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 08:29 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,472 times

Advertisements

So this is a specific question that can also be a general conversation about apartment living and the explosion of new apartments in Silver Spring and on Rockville Pike.

First on a personal note--how would you all see downtown Rockville vs. "North Bethesda" market? I work in DC and I'm currently in Montgomery Village which is just to far. So I'd in the hunt for an apartment near the Rockville or White Flint Metros. Not the best financial decision, but I need to be able to walk to the metro and I'm willing to pay a premium on that. Also if one of the areas has a higher concentration of young professionals that'd be something I'd find appealing--this is why I'm skipping over Twinbrook for now as it seems like a ghost town comparatively, very quiet. Even Kentlands has more action....any plans for Twinbrook or it will stay like that?

I wonder if the commuting distance both on road and on metro is significantly different for downtown Rockville and white flint. At the same rent, I can get a better unit in downtown Rockville but if it's a 20-30 minute difference in metro or road commute between the two I might be willing to consider a smaller apartment in White Flint.

Now moving to a more general discussion, one of the things I don't like about the White Flint property is the open kitchen i.e. no bar or no island. It's one of those designs where you open the door and boom, your'e in the kitchen. This seems to be a new trend as I viewed other apartments like that (the new PerSei) in the area that have open kitchens. Is that open kitchen along with hardwood floors a new trend?

These downtowns are interesting--Silver Spring, upcoming Pike Rose, Downtown Rockville, Crown, more or less the same as far as MoCo, etc. White flint is going to have TWO "downtowns"--the Pike Rose and "North Bethesda" Market.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 12:22 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
So this is a specific question that can also be a general conversation about apartment living and the explosion of new apartments in Silver Spring and on Rockville Pike.

First on a personal note--how would you all see downtown Rockville vs. "North Bethesda" market? I work in DC and I'm currently in Montgomery Village which is just to far. So I'd in the hunt for an apartment near the Rockville or White Flint Metros. Not the best financial decision, but I need to be able to walk to the metro and I'm willing to pay a premium on that. Also if one of the areas has a higher concentration of young professionals that'd be something I'd find appealing--this is why I'm skipping over Twinbrook for now as it seems like a ghost town comparatively, very quiet. Even Kentlands has more action....any plans for Twinbrook or it will stay like that?

I wonder if the commuting distance both on road and on metro is significantly different for downtown Rockville and white flint. At the same rent, I can get a better unit in downtown Rockville but if it's a 20-30 minute difference in metro or road commute between the two I might be willing to consider a smaller apartment in White Flint.

Now moving to a more general discussion, one of the things I don't like about the White Flint property is the open kitchen i.e. no bar or no island. It's one of those designs where you open the door and boom, your'e in the kitchen. This seems to be a new trend as I viewed other apartments like that (the new PerSei) in the area that have open kitchens. Is that open kitchen along with hardwood floors a new trend?

These downtowns are interesting--Silver Spring, upcoming Pike Rose, Downtown Rockville, Crown, more or less the same as far as MoCo, etc. White flint is going to have TWO "downtowns"--the Pike Rose and "North Bethesda" Market.
Rockville is negligibly further away via metro (since both White Flint and Rockville are beyond the Grosvenor turnaround you'll have to deal with that issue either way). A larger time difference might be the distance from your apt to the actual station. E.g., Rockville's town center - if those are the apts you're looking at - is a decent walk to the station. White Flint varies substantially depending on which development you choose.

Personally, I find the apt prices in White Flint to be absurd. It's an area that's only marginally built-out at this point, yet the developers are charging prices as if it's comparable to Bethesda. Rockville, while having only a fairly small downtown that's largely chain-filled, at least is built-out to the point it actually feels settled and complete. I'd definitely choose Rockville for renting. The only way I'd pick White Flint was if I were purchasing a place on the cheap and waiting for the area to be built out. I'm sure White Flint will be nice and rightfully command high rents 20-30 years from now, but as of today it's still predominantly strip malls, terrible traffic, and an abysmal pedestrian experience.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:

By open kitchen but no island do you mean the kitchen is effectively just on one wall of the living room or in a hallway to the living room? e.g. http://eleven55ripley.prospectportal...loorplan_image[url]/51cc38f1157ad772.jpg/floorplan_scale[value]/1.05
I've seen that repeatedly in instances where you have a small 1br (600sqft or so). It's largely a space-saving trend, along with the fact they're marking to 20somethings who eat out more often than not or simply are heating up something in their kitchen. Spending 150sqft on a kitchen that's used for 20 minutes every third day is mostly wasted space/wasted money from the developer's perspective, considering the market they're attempting to capture. Once you get into a higher sqft - 700+ - the developers usually add an island, mostly for aesthetics more than anything, I imagine, but also because at that size you're more looking at a couple living in the unit instead of just a single person.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Rockville is negligibly further away via metro (since both White Flint and Rockville are beyond the Grosvenor turnaround you'll have to deal with that issue either way). A larger time difference might be the distance from your apt to the actual station. E.g., Rockville's town center - if those are the apts you're looking at - is a decent walk to the station. White Flint varies substantially depending on which development you choose.

Personally, I find the apt prices in White Flint to be absurd. It's an area that's only marginally built-out at this point, yet the developers are charging prices as if it's comparable to Bethesda. Rockville, while having only a fairly small downtown that's largely chain-filled, at least is built-out to the point it actually feels settled and complete. I'd definitely choose Rockville for renting. The only way I'd pick White Flint was if I were purchasing a place on the cheap and waiting for the area to be built out. I'm sure White Flint will be nice and rightfully command high rents 20-30 years from now, but as of today it's still predominantly strip malls, terrible traffic, and an abysmal pedestrian experience.
I'm not offended by chains if they're good convenient ones (Chipotle, Froyo's, etc)! Not saying this is you, but sometimes people hate on chains for no other reason than them being chains.

And yes, I agree White Flint has incredibly high price per square foot ratios--seems higher than even Bethesda proper. I hear you on the development not being there yet but Pike Rose seems like it'll be ready relatively soon though...

Is Rockville town center done, or more retail and apartments will move in? All I see is the upton condos.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
By open kitchen but no island do you mean the kitchen is effectively just on one wall of the living room or in a hallway to the living room? e.g. http://eleven55ripley.prospectportal...loorplan_image[url]/51cc38f1157ad772.jpg/floorplan_scale[value]/1.05
I've seen that repeatedly in instances where you have a small 1br (600sqft or so). It's largely a space-saving trend, along with the fact they're marking to 20somethings who eat out more often than not or simply are heating up something in their kitchen. Spending 150sqft on a kitchen that's used for 20 minutes every third day is mostly wasted space/wasted money from the developer's perspective, considering the market they're attempting to capture. Once you get into a higher sqft - 700+ - the developers usually add an island, mostly for aesthetics more than anything, I imagine, but also because at that size you're more looking at a couple living in the unit instead of just a single person.
I see your point, but they're starting to do it with 2 bedroom 700+s too. It's probably a trend that is going together with these "walkable communities" and social properties. I don't like them, too much college dorm vibe--and I say this as a millennial myself.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not offended by chains if they're good convenient ones (Chipotle, Froyo's, etc)! Not saying this is you, but sometimes people hate on chains for no other reason than them being chains.

And yes, I agree White Flint has incredibly high price per square foot ratios--seems higher than even Bethesda proper. I hear you on the development not being there yet but Pike Rose seems like it'll be ready relatively soon though...

Is Rockville town center done, or more retail and apartments will move in? All I see is the upton condos.
I was in Rockville town center a couple days ago, actually, eating at a chain bar to boot - haha. Their core "downtown" development is done w/retail fully leased (for the most part), and there's now apartment development ongoing or slated both north and south of that main core. I think what's built already stands on its own well as it's much larger than the scattered, smaller developments in White Flint. Once White Flint gets built out it'll be great, but currently I find the projects to be too few and far between (not to mention unpleasant to travel among the nodes of development). What's built at Pike & Rose looks nice, but it's currently only wrapping up development phase 1 of (I believe) 4 and it's still quite a small area that's built built-out. Just my opinion that it's not yet worth the price they're charging because of those shortcomings. Rockville seems much further along and more polished to me.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:13 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,610 times
Quote:

I was in Rockville tonight... at Clyde's two days this past week.

Personally, I'd jump to SilverSpring or even Wheaton. I moved from over that way to Wheaton, and not regretted it... although, I still have a lot of friends in Germantown/Gaithersburg/Rockville. My goodness wheaton is changing... so quickly.

My place opens into the kitchen... personally, I don't care. Never really thought about it... it is an apartment, not a place I plan to stay in for 10 years. So I don't care how an apartment is setup. I wish mine had hardwood floors... those are great.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
I was in Rockville tonight... at Clyde's two days this past week.

Personally, I'd jump to SilverSpring or even Wheaton. I moved from over that way to Wheaton, and not regretted it... although, I still have a lot of friends in Germantown/Gaithersburg/Rockville. My goodness wheaton is changing... so quickly.

My place opens into the kitchen... personally, I don't care. Never really thought about it... it is an apartment, not a place I plan to stay in for 10 years. So I don't care how an apartment is setup. I wish mine had hardwood floors... those are great.
I see. I'd be interested in your take on why Silver Spring is more exciting and convenient than Gaithersburg/Rockville/White Flint.

Just on time as I just visited a new complex in Silver Spring even though I prefer to stay on the 355 side (honestly it's just inertia--plus moving down the pike from gaithersburg will be cheaper than going to SSpring). Few questions for you since you know Silver Spring:

1. Does Silver Spring "feel" closer to DC than Rockville, and is it too much of a hassle to get from dtss to Whiteflint/Bethesda? Both in real terms and psychologically--I've not really gone up and down 16th that often. 270/355 is long but it moves.
2. I'm also debating the hard floors. How are they compared to carpet?
3. Do you know anything about the site near the old post office (2nd avenue)? If only there was a walkable restaurant or supermarket RIGHT THERE, I'd bite the bullet and go to Silver Spring. As it is the complexes I looked at in Rockville and "North Bethesda Market" had a supermarket and CVS literally out the front door which is a hard convenience to overlook. But the interior of the Silver Spring place was the most impressive--Fenwyck I think it was called (where the old post office was I hear).
4. Any open green spaces, parks, natury reserves within 10 minute drive of DTSS?
5. Isn't Wheaton rather far out, the equivalent of Germantown/Gaithersburg?

Daily commute is metro to DC, so all three are a wash in that sense.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:43 AM

795 posts, read 1,268,610 times
Quote:
I see. I'd be interested in your take on why Silver Spring is more exciting and convenient than Gaithersburg/Rockville/White Flint.

Just on time as I just visited a new complex in Silver Spring even though I prefer to stay on the 355 side (honestly it's just inertia--plus moving down the pike from gaithersburg will be cheaper than going to SSpring). Few questions for you since you know Silver Spring:

1. Does Silver Spring "feel" closer to DC than Rockville, and is it too much of a hassle to get from dtss to Whiteflint/Bethesda? Both in real terms and psychologically--I've not really gone up and down 16th that often. 270/355 is long but it moves.
3. Do you know anything about the site near the old post office (2nd avenue)? If only there was a walkable restaurant or supermarket RIGHT THERE, I'd bite the bullet and go to Silver Spring. As it is the complexes I looked at in Rockville and "North Bethesda Market" had a supermarket and CVS literally out the front door which is a hard convenience to overlook. But the interior of the Silver Spring place was the most impressive--Fenwyck I think it was called (where the old post office was I hear).
4. Any open green spaces, parks, natury reserves within 10 minute drive of DTSS?

Silver spring (technically where I live, but it is Wheaton IMO...) vs. Gaithersburg (where I lived), Rockville (where I visit and do business), white flint (I drive by).

1. I live above Wheaton metro.... everything "feels" close. I never lived in Rockville. Gaithersburg "feels" worlds away from DC.

2. Had both... love hardwood floors. Easier to keep clean and looks much better. But that is a personal thing... my goddaughter told me she hates hardwood and loves carpet. My mom loves carpet.

3. You are blocks from everything... your comment seems a bit picky. Not an attack, just my impression.

4. Seriously? You can look at google maps and tell that. Sligo might help... hell, rock creek park. Not sure how you can miss that big slab of green in the middle of DC. Definitely all 10 minute drive.

5. Wheaton has a metro right in the middle.... not even the terminal... how can you even compare? I'm 20 minutes from downtown DC. And in wheaton you can have a place ON TOP of the metro... walk 20 ft and you are there. Wheaton may have lower rents, close to Rockville, SS, and Gaithersburg. Still a lot of Hispanics here (which is great, IMO), but things are changing to white and Asian before our eyes).

Do some more research before asking more questions... fairly easy to do.

Not trying to sell wheaton, I'm moving from here myself and (hopefully) going to PG. I'm a bit done with SS, Rockville, Rio, and Wheaton; places bore me with their expensive housing. lol

Old 07-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Silver Spring is much more urbanized/vibrant than Gaithersburg/Rockville w/many more amenities, in large part because downtown Silver Spring is a substantially larger and denser area. It has a fabricated town center like Rockville and Gaithersburg do, but then it also has a "real" city around it, as well, with a multitude of independent restaurant and bar offerings. It's just across the DC line so getting in and out of the city via bus or metro is substantially quicker than out to Rockville (which not only is further, but only half the red line trains go out that far during rush hour).

The old post office site sits in a more residential/quite area of Silver Spring (which may be a good or bad thing, depending on what you're looking for). If you want to live near a grocery store I recommend Silver Spring Towers (next to a Safeway) or at the Blairs complex (a series of apartment buildings surrounding a Giant).

DTSS has a number of natury areas nearby. Sligo Creek Park is the closest and is excellent, especially on the weekends when they close down the road and the whole area/trail is very tranquil. Rock Creek Park and Northwest Branch Trail are also a quick drive/bike ride away.

Wheaton is about as far out as White Flint - not Germantown/Gaithersburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland